Author Topic: Bailey Family Carr Lane Hangers Row Sculcoates  (Read 11359 times)

Offline acarragon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bailey Family Carr Lane Hangers Row Sculcoates
« on: Friday 19 September 08 18:00 BST (UK) »
Hi, does any one know if this area/road/lane still exists today? if not does any one know what happened to it? when? why? where did the people go to? Also looking for any information on Thomas Bailey married to Isabella/ella Cathcart, their children Hilda, Rita, Frank and Ella.
The address on Hildas BC sates address No5 Hangers row, west carr lane Sculcoates hull.

Also if you lived oin this area, where would you be buried?

thanks for any info.

my email addy is acarragon at hotmail dot co dot uk. thanks

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: Bailey Family Carr Lane Hangers Row Sculcoates
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 September 08 20:37 BST (UK) »
Hi acarragon,

welcome to Rootschat  :)

Carr Lane still exists, it's near the Railway station and docks in Hull
If you zoom in on this map and from the flag no.2 follow down Beverley Road (green) down Ferensway to where it meets Anlaby Road (orange) - Carr Lane (white) follows on from Anlaby Rd.
http://www.genuki.org.uk/cgi-bin/showmap?GR=TA092305,T=PP

other information on Sculcoates, churches etc here:
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/ERY/Sculcoates/index.html
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=66795

What information do you already have about your Bailey/Cathcart family and what would you like to know, can you give dates etc?

Kind regards,
Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 September 08 23:42 BST (UK) »
Hi acarragon
Is it Carr Lane or West Carr Lane? They both still exist but are in different parts of the city, both can be found using www.streetmap.co.uk

Bee
 :)

Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline acarragon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 September 08 10:56 BST (UK) »
gosh how exciting, its my birthday this week so tonight were all celebrating! but as soon as this finishes i will upload as much info as i have on the family.and see what can be made of it. does any one knows why it was called Hangers row??or is it self explanitory!?!?

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 September 08 11:14 BST (UK) »
Is it Carr Lane or West Carr Lane? They both still exist but are in different parts of the city

Sorry, missed the West bit,  ::)  West Carr Lane is in Southcoats, Carr Lane in Sculcoates
West Carr Lane can still can be found on the map ref I gave, just a bit northeast of the flags, running off Stoneferry Road http://www.genuki.org.uk/cgi-bin/showmap?GR=TA092305,T=PP

Happy birthday, enjoy your celebrations!

Barbara  :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 September 08 11:43 BST (UK) »
1901 census:

RG13/4467 fol. p.24
No.5 Hangers Row, West Carr Rd, Stoneferry, Hull
BAILEY
Tom    head m 49  Labourer Paint & Colour Works   b.Cottingham
Amy    wife  m 47                                         b.Beverley
Percey son  s  27 Lab. Paint & Col. Works          "
Florence dau s 24 Costume Hand              b. Leeds
Frank     son  s 16 Lab. Paint & Col. Works      "
Amy       dau     13                                            "

If this is your Bailey family, would you like any earlier census details for them?

living 2 households down the page in Rivers Lea, West Carr Rd, Stoneferry is the family of Edward Hanger, Paint and Colour Manufacturer, so that maybe explains the name!

Barbara  :)

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 September 08 11:49 BST (UK) »
possible death registration for Tom:

Tom Bailey   1921 Dec Quarter Sculcoates 9d 139  age at death 69

Offline acarragon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 September 08 12:06 BST (UK) »
lol yes thats them, i really want to know about thomas aand amy the heads of the family as i can get to here then nothing. thats interesting about the hanger man a few doors away. i had visions of it being a place where people were hanged!

i know that percy went to war and then came through it a little affected but not sure what happened to him, florence was a costume hand and i think died at 21 ish so i have been told but not sure 100\% that is why i would like to know where she would be buried if its near the house or local church to them. also i live in wales so its hard to get the chance to visit and look around for myself.

i come down francis or franks line. he marries a isabella cathcart and they have a daughter (amongst thers ) called hilda who marries sam they have muriel and muriel has me!

your so good at this!

i have another family member called Robina Adams who probably lived and died in Belfast if you can trace her, it would be a challenge as i dont think they registered themselves any place! when she died in 1999 she still had no electric in her house and there was gas fittings for the lights! she used to cook goose and duck on her open fire! lol the things you remember!

Offline acarragon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 September 08 12:06 BST (UK) »
ooh i just saw COTTINGHAM was that or is that  aplace??