Author Topic: Bulmer/Schellenberg  (Read 3183 times)

Offline doric

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Bulmer/Schellenberg
« on: Saturday 29 January 05 21:36 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can help me knock down a brick wall that I have been hitting my head against for the past two or three years.  I have a birth certificate for a Charles Frederick Schellenberg born lst October, 1901 at 12 Cornhill Rd. Southwick, Sunderland.  The mother is given as Eleanor Schellenberg formerly Bulmer, and the father who we believe to be a gt. uncle. also as Charles Frederick Schellenberg, Pork Butcher (journeyman)  The birth was registered by the mother on 2nd December, 1901 whilst living at 25 Richmond Street, Sunderland.  I have checked for a marriage certificate - no luck, I really don't think they were married, I did find Charles Frederick (Snr) on the 1901 census living at Langley Moor, Durham and from snippets of information given by my late father-in-law, he used to call in at their butcher's shop from time to time in the early 20's, but he never mentioned that Charles Frederick had ever married.  Please can anyone help - he just seems to have vanished into thin air - and what happened to Charles Frederick (Jnr)
So curious.

Many thanks

Dorothy

Schellenberg of Yorkshire/Durham
Westgarth of Durham/Pittington
Johnson of Sunderland/Houghton-le-Spring/Worksop/Yorks/Scotland
Charlton of Hexham and Houghton-le-Spring areas
Brown of Alnwick and Newbottle, Houghton-le-Spring/Chester-le-Street
Hailes of Chester-le-Street
Hope of Chester-le-Street
Ainsley of Willington/Chester-le-Street
Reed of Houghton-le-Spring
Baister of Houghton-le-Spring
Ashman of Houghton-le-Spring area
Wilson of Sunnybrow, Auckland
Wittman of Bradford/Leeds

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bulmer/Schellenberg
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 January 05 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Interestingly the 1901 Census only shows one adult Eleanor Bulmer living in Sunderland, and she is apparently married to one Thomas Bulmer, and had two children aged 7 and 3.

If Charles Frederick was the result of an illicit liaison perhaps he later took, or was given, the name Bulmer rather than retaining the name under which his birth was registered??

JenB
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline doric

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Bulmer/Schellenberg
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 January 05 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen,

Thank you very much for your interest in my 'head banger'.  I had checked the 1901 census and as you say there was an Eleanor married to Thomas Bulmer with two children.  As Eleanor's age was 37yrs and the address being different to the one on the birth certificate, plus the fact that Charles Frederick Schellenberg was only in his early twenties, I tended to disregard it, however the more I think about it the more I am beginning to think that there could well be a connection here and they had an illicit relationship.   I have already checked the 1837 for a possible marriage/death for a Charles Frederick Bulmer/Schellenberg, but of course with very little else to go on it is proving rather a costly exercise and I end up getting know where fast.

To complicate the issue even further, there is every chance that Charles Frederick Snr. could well have changed his name from Schellenberg at some time, owing to the fact that his parents who were Pork Butchers, were immigrants from Germany and were subjected to a lot of abuse around  WW1, so consequently some of his family changed their name by Deed Poll, however, have checked at Kew and this doesn't seem to be so in his case.  Of course there would be nothing from stopping him from using another name without going through official channels.
I think I am almost ready to reach for the Valium !!!!

To end, I see from your profile that you are researching the Reed family in Durham.  I have just started my paternal side of the family and my aunt married her cousin John Reed at Houghton-le-Spring c1925.  My aunt was Maud Wilson and I believe that John Reed came from Hetton-le-Hole, but as I said I have just started this side and still collating information.  Perhaps we might find we have a connection !!

Again many thanks for your time.

Regards Dorothy
Schellenberg of Yorkshire/Durham
Westgarth of Durham/Pittington
Johnson of Sunderland/Houghton-le-Spring/Worksop/Yorks/Scotland
Charlton of Hexham and Houghton-le-Spring areas
Brown of Alnwick and Newbottle, Houghton-le-Spring/Chester-le-Street
Hailes of Chester-le-Street
Hope of Chester-le-Street
Ainsley of Willington/Chester-le-Street
Reed of Houghton-le-Spring
Baister of Houghton-le-Spring