Author Topic: Children  (Read 1454 times)

Offline tofgem

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Children
« on: Friday 19 September 08 22:07 BST (UK) »
After seeing Lass's photo of 'nice' children I couldn't resist sharing my photo of children from my collection of 'mystery' photos.
I am sure that they are lovely children really, but are just not very happy having their photo taken.
I would appreciate any suggestions for the date and any improvements would be gratefuly accepted.

Offline charles w

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Children
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 September 08 22:56 BST (UK) »
A little tidy up.
POSTEES: If possible, PLEASE, scan your images at 300 - 600 dpi, for both ease of restoration and best results
RESTORERS: Feel free to change/improve/colour any restorations posted by myself.  Acknowledgment would be appreciated.

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 September 08 09:27 BST (UK) »
Tofgem

Just a quick question, the black dots on the toys of the children, are they on the original or has the pic been er, vandalised?  Not sure whether to remove them or leave as is?

Caroline
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline tofgem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 September 08 10:15 BST (UK) »
I don't have the original photo only a scanned image. Studying it closely it sems to me like someone has tried to obliterate the toys. I wasn't sure what the children were holding, but your suggestion of toys has made me think. I assumed that the girl in the centre was holding a flower, but on closer inspection it looks more like a doll. Whatever you think is best and most likely.
Thank you for taking the trouble to ask.
Tofgem

Offline charles w

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 September 08 10:25 BST (UK) »
I was not certain about the marks, so I left them alone.  My own opinion is that the older child is holding a poesy of flowers and someone has tried to colour them.  Same with the little girl.   ::)
POSTEES: If possible, PLEASE, scan your images at 300 - 600 dpi, for both ease of restoration and best results
RESTORERS: Feel free to change/improve/colour any restorations posted by myself.  Acknowledgment would be appreciated.

Offline tofgem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 September 08 11:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the cleanup Charles. Without the original we'll never know. The scanned image I have is clearer than the one I posted, but it is still badly faded and indistinct.
It all adds intrigue to the picture.
Tofgem

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 September 08 11:25 BST (UK) »
In the end, wasn't sure what do to, so removed/disguised them.  ???

Caroline
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline Lass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 September 08 12:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Tofgem!

My, my, they surely weren't happy kiddies around the camera, were they!  Bless!  I love pictures like this though, something a little different and one you're bound to remember!  Let's face it, they probably didn't want to be all spruced up in their Sunday best and told to keep clean and stand still for any length of time, who can blame them?! I do love the eldest girls outfit, so pretty.

Lovely clean-ups as always everyone!

Lass x

Offline tofgem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 September 08 12:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks a lot Caroline. They certainly look better now. It dosen't matter what they were carrying/not carrying.
 8)
Can anyone suggest a date?
The child on the left appears to have no hair. Was she a victim of ringworm? or something similar? any suggestions?