Author Topic: Moreton, circa 1925 info  (Read 6037 times)

Offline Daffodilly

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Moreton, circa 1925 info
« on: Friday 19 September 08 22:42 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I don't know if anyone can help me on this, I have a birth certificate for someone born at 'The Laurels, Bermuda Road, Moreton'.  I just wondered if anyone knew this place.  The parents give their address as Garston, Liverpool so I was wondering if it was some sort of maternity home perhaps?  It seems strange that he was born so far away.

Thanks

Daff

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Moreton, circa 1925 info
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 September 08 11:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Daff
I just checked in to see if there was any more directory look-ups needed  before i go out,when i noticed your post.
As far as i know there wasn't any maternity Homes in Bermuda Road.I will check it for you though,because i know in those days they did have convalescent homes.Be back later

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 September 08 14:12 BST (UK) »
Hello again Daff
After i sent my post,i remembered something,about three years ago i was looking for something in moreton.I cant remember the year,but i was probably looking in the local directories 19 hundred and something.I could not fine a mention of Moreton anywhere, or in any other books,so decided to look in the electoral books.The librarian told me that there were no records for Moreton for the 1920's or before only the old churches a the odd pub.The reason being that Moreton/Leasow was classed as movable,meaning that there was no permanent houses.Only  makeshift  living like caravans gypsies an that The market gardens are recorded though.So i presume anyone living in Morton wont be on the 1901 census :-\ Anyway i have checked for the address you gave and it is true there are no records in the books.However there are four books on the history of Moreton.So I will look at those and see if i can find any info in it.

Celia      I will await your reply first for any further info ;)
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 September 08 15:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Celia

Moreton has been there for many years but it didn't become part of Wallasey until 1928.

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/chs/moreton.html

According to the 1914 Kellys Directory of Cheshire the population of Moreton Township in 1911 was 970. Looking through the list of Moreton Private residents and Commercial I couldn't see any reference to Bermuda Road.

Andy

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 September 08 16:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy

Moreton has been there for many years but it didn't become part of Wallasey until 1928.
Yes i knew the first bit but not the second,I couldn't find the road in the 1920/21 or the 1924/25. Maybe i missed it :-\

If Moreton didn't become part of Wallasey till 1928 what was it part of before ???

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline Daffodilly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 September 08 16:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you both so much for your replies.

This is a bit of a puzzle now.  I was puzzled enough just wondering why he was born there, and now it is more of a puzzle.

I just checked the certificate and the registration district is Wirral, sub-district Woodchurch in the County of Chester.  Would this help on where Moreton was before Celia?  I never imagined it wasn’t part of Wallasey.

I know Bermuda Road is at the top end of Moreton near to Saughall Massie and I remember it as a road with lots of different types of house built at different time – it is more than 30 years since I was there!

I will have another look at the 1901 census as that is all I have to look at, this time in Moreton cum Saughall as I was looking in Moreton cum Lingham before, but a lot of houses could have been built in those 20 odd years.

What is a shame is that my Dad had a collection of photos of Old Moreton, but when he moved away he passed them on to someone else and I don’t know who.  They would be interesting to people now I am sure.  If only I could look at them……

As far as I know there were no relations living on this side of the Mersey until the 1960s which makes it more intriguing as to why his mother gave birth there.

Thanks for your help.

Daff

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 September 08 17:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy and Daff
I have just finished trawling through the Cheshire directory for 1902 Moreton. Again there is no Bermuda Road mentioned in the Residents.It is very strange because we know the road is there today and in is long-ish. Anyone born in birkenhead and the surrounding districts is registered in birkenhead.Anyway as i said i will do a bit of rooting next week,I cant leave it now you got me started on a mystery ;D ;D By The Way have you got a name for the mother of the child,that might help.

Celia

Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 September 08 05:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Celia and Daff

Looking at Moreton on the Old Maps website Bermuda Road didn't exist in 1913 but was well developed by 1938. In fact it looks like the whole area around Bermuda Road was developed in that period.

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/

Looking at a Brief History of Moreton (link below) Moreton was a part of the parish of Bidston and it was probably simply a town/village in Wirral prior to 1928 and not actually part of anywhere else.

http://www.yew-tree.org.uk/wirral_a_brief_history.html

Andy

Offline Daffodilly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 September 08 15:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy,

What a difference in those two maps.  I am going to try and find out when the sea wall was built as that might explain all the building once the land was better protected from flooding.

So 'The Laurels' would have been quite a new building in 1925, interesting.

Thanks for your links, I have spent quite a long time looking at the maps, takes me back to my childhood and all the places I knew...

Thanks

Daff