Author Topic: Moreton, circa 1925 info  (Read 6038 times)

Offline eccy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Moreton, circa 1925 info
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 01:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Daff

I read your original request and the address struck a chord with me so I looked up Bermuda Road in the directories in Liverpool Central Library.

It can be confusing looking for Bermuda Road in the earlier directories because in the 1926 a lot of roads in this area were altogether under Moreton Village but even then I did not find a house called The Laurels in Bermuda Road.  However in the 1932 directory Bermuda Road was listed separately and I found out that a Mrs Emily Louisa Glover CMB midwife was living at this address in the 1930's and more relevant to you in 1925/26, although you would have to look at the 1925 directory to confirm this but the directories are supposed to be one year behind.

Emily L Glover turned up in my family history search because her maiden name is Pinch who is related to my father's family( maternal and paternal) by marriage and her mother Catherine Ann Pinch nee Thomas was also listed in the directories as a Midwife for a number of years.  She also lived briefly in Bermuda Road and her sister was also listed as a midwife, so it seem's to be a family vocation.

Unfortunately that is all I know about this family but we had relatives living in Upton by Borrowdale Road not far from Moreton Village and I remembered everytime we went to visit them Dad would mention once or twice that the area was nicknamed shanty town.  I think this was because in the 20's and 30's the area near the coast was only being developed and many of the houses were like seaside villas or they may have been bungalows in some places.  I can't comment on Bermuda Road because I have never been down there but I would wonder if people would have visited Moreton for a weekend and rented property for this purpose.  The parents of the person born at The Laurels could have been visiting someone and a midwife would have been known to the community, but then it would have been a home birth.  So perhaps the mother went into labour and was directed to the address by someone in the area.  You say the address was in Garston and although there was areas like Allerton and Woolton nearby, they could have chosen Moreton in the belief that the sea air was a benefit for the birth of their baby.

This is only guesswork but at least you will have an idea of why someone would have been born in The Laurels, Bermuda Road, Moreton.

I hope that this information is useful for your family history research.

Yours from
eccy

Offline Daffodilly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 08:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Eccy,

I am sitting here with a big smile on my face,  ;D this forum is amazing how people come up with answers to the most obscure queries.  The coincidence of someone reading my post that has a relation in the house is incredible. Thank you so much.

Your information is brilliant and whilst I don't know why they were in Moreton at least it explains why he was born there, and obviously with expert care.  I am intrigued now, they must have stayed with her or nearby, the birth wasn't registered for nearly a month but I suppose they could have gone back to register him.  I will take the father's tree back further now, just to check he is not related to them in any way.  Just awaiting the marriage certificate, hopefully it will be here by the end of the week.

I remember the description of shanty town and I imagine the building of the sea wall would have made quite a difference to the area.  I am going to try and find out when this was built as it might explain why so many houses were built between the two wars.  The whole area along Hoylake Road and Upton Road appeared in that time.

Family History is amazing as I learn so much more than who is in my tree and love going off at tangents to investigate things like this.

Thanks ever so much for your help, will be smiling all day. :)

Daff

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 12:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Eccy & Daff
Wonderfull news,The directories both Chehire & Lancashire are hard to work out at times.You know a street should be there but it isn't. When i was looking for moreton in one of the Cheshire directory's 193?,there was a small line see Gores Liverpool Directories 1932.We don't have the full set of them in our library so no 1932. One of the reasons (which i read in a directory long ago) why wirral is not in the early liverpool and surrounding arias Directories is.Because wirral was only added later stage by stage.Even then when you look through the index for a road, you find it then it says see whatever Road ;D

Daff
I think you must be the first member that has had a interest in Moreton ;D now we know where to look in the directories  and where not to.

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline Dolly_007

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 18:24 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Loverly post about Moreton . My mother was born in the "Shanty Town" area in 1917,spent her very early years living in one of the tents that dotted that area before moving to a proper house !.

Cheers
Dolly.
Ireland: Jackson,Storey,Harris
Ireland:Kirkpatrick,Moore.
Co Durham: Brough,Shields,Priestman,Stewart
Westmorland: Nicholson,Miller(s)
Liverpool:Edwards,Jackson,Mayston,Shepherd,Shepphard.
Holyhead:Roberts
Wrexham: Edwards

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 18:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Daff
you remember when i said that i went to the library and borrowed some books about Moreton? Well i I have just found two photos of Bermuda Road in the Shanty Town days of 1927 +  ;D If you P.M your email I will scan them later.

In the Sixties i had a friend that moved to a new council house estate In Moreton
with her parents and the rest of the gang.I have never forgotten that first visit,because although there were long paths round the estate.Most were underwater,when i eventually found the house.My shoes were soaked and i repremanded my friend for not telling me to wear my wellies ;D From then on I always referred too that estate as The Boglands ;D

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 19:03 BST (UK) »
spent her very early years living in one of the tents that dotted that area before moving to a proper house !.

Cheers
Dolly.

How they survived in those conditions  in Bogland i don't know,they were the last of the Pioneers and must have been very hardy.

There are lots of photos of the people and their tents.

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline Dolly_007

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 19:24 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Very hardy -the storys she told me of the hardship and the poverty they endured in the Shanty Town very sad,she never wore a pair of shoes till she was about 5yrs old and they where someone elses castoff,castoffs !!.

Cheers
Dolly.
Ireland: Jackson,Storey,Harris
Ireland:Kirkpatrick,Moore.
Co Durham: Brough,Shields,Priestman,Stewart
Westmorland: Nicholson,Miller(s)
Liverpool:Edwards,Jackson,Mayston,Shepherd,Shepphard.
Holyhead:Roberts
Wrexham: Edwards

Offline Daffodilly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 24 September 08 11:40 BST (UK) »
Hi

It is lovely hearing all about Moreton.  Celia, I imagine your 'Boglands' estate must have been the one with Eastway school in it as that must be quite low lying land.  I got to know Moreton really well delivering newspapers!  Life must have been very difficult in the tents.

I found some really interesting websites while browsing yesterday:

http://www.kenrowe.net/WirralandLiverpool/Moreton.htm

http://www.yew-tree.org.uk/wirral_a_brief_history.html

http://www.mikekemble.com/mside/hovercraft.html

and if anyone remembers the ladybirds - part 4 about 60% into the video

http://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=169019#Post169019

I didn't imagine there was any film still remaining of it.  I was at Hoylake Baths and the water became covered in them.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

Daff

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 25 September 08 11:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Daff
re the P.M i sent you,I will have another go at sending the photos.I will make them smaller but i don't think they will go to a Hotmail address.

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials