Author Topic: Farms in Kingsclere area....  (Read 2000 times)

Offline Leggy

• I have opted not to be notified of new replies and messages
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Farms in Kingsclere area....
« on: Saturday 29 January 05 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know if there is a way of finding out if Farmers kept records of their workers pre-census (1841)? My GGGGrandfather seems to have moved around a lot! He married in Kingsclere 1825, first child born there 1827, subsequent children born Bucklebury Berks (apart from one middle child who was born back in Kingsclere!).Thery are in Bucklebury in the 1851 but I can't find them anywhere in that area in the 1841! I know he was an agricultural labourer so I thought I might try a different track......just a thought....
 ???
Berkshire-Butler, Chapman, Kirton, Charlton, Woodley
Hampshire-Butler, Girdler
Oxford-Charlton, Chapman.
Lancashire-Reynolds.
Essex-Webb, Crozier

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Farms in Kingsclere area....
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 January 05 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Probably not if he was working for smallish farmers.  There is a possibility if he worked for a large estate or even rented a bit of land but otherwise I doubt you will find anything that way.

It is surprising how much the ag labs moved around.

You could try the county record office for a Tithe map c1840.  They were large scale maps detailing each property - numbered with an accompanying key to owners and occupiers.  If you can find him, he may have worked for the person who owned the dwelling.

Parish chest records might show something if he moved about a bit ie. settlement examinations/certificates, poor books etc. to see if he needed any help at some time.  These should be with the church records.

Best wishes

Casalguidi

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk