Author Topic: Allen Marriage Index  (Read 7969 times)

Offline Ann12

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum - third from the left
    • View Profile
Allen Marriage Index
« on: Saturday 20 September 08 17:37 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have found 3 references to the JOSOLYNE family in the Allen Marriage Index on the HALS website.  I already know the names, dates and places of my ancestors marriages, so my question is, what other information will the Index provide?  I don't want to spend 21 odd pounds on ordering from HALS for information I already have. 

Thanks
Anna
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />names: <br />Josolyne - Essex & Herts, <br />Wainwright - Hamps & London, <br />Kentish - Rotherhithe, London & Kent, <br />Herbert - Seaford, Sussex - London & Glous
Mumford - Essex, Birchanger
Sims-Miles - London & Hertfordshire
Cooper - Great Witley and London (Holborn)
Greengrass - Kent & London

Offline Benzol

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Allen Marriage Index
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 September 08 23:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Anna,

As far as I'm aware the Allen Marriage Index is just that, a marriage index, which has just recently been put on-line by HALS, for all Hertfordshire marriages from the year dot until early 1800s. You'll need to look elswhere for descendants/ancestors of your three married couples.

Benzol

Herts Barnes/Baines Bottom(s) Dawson Odell (Pirton, Sandon)
Somerset Bull Churchill Ferguson Palmer (Crewkerne, Misterton)
Scotland McNaughton Douglas Archer Robertson (Perth)

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 September 08 15:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have found 3 references to the JOSOLYNE family in the Allen Marriage Index on the HALS website.  I already know the names, dates and places of my ancestors marriages, so my question is, what other information will the Index provide?  I don't want to spend 21 odd pounds on ordering from HALS for information I already have. 

Thanks
Anna

Hi Ann

If you requested the marriage register details for those marriages, and not details from the index itself, you would get:

1813-37 - Marital status (single, widowed ) Parish status (of the parish or not) and the marriage witnesses. Prior to 1813 you would be unlikely to glean anymore information that you already have.

Rick :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline geniecolgan

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 September 08 16:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Anna,

I requested and received the details of an 1807 marriage register entry from HALS. My request was handled speedily and I was very satisfied.

The entry showed:-
Groom and Bride name, status, of this parish, married by Banns, their signatures and the signature of the two witnesses.

I am assuming these signatures are, indeed true signatures as they are written in four distinct hands.

Having this entry and being able to read the signatures has finally solved the question of the true name of my ancestor, Sarah Norris who had also been recorded as Sarah Morris by one sept of my family. I am in contact with a member of that sept and we are both delighted with HALS and the Allen Index.

The witnesses were of value too as they seem to be the grooms brother and his wife or sister.

Genie
"All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 September 08 16:24 BST (UK) »
You are quite right genie I was getting muddled with baptisms.  The new baptismal registers started 1812/13 whereas the pre-printed marriage registers started in 1753/4 with the advent of the Hardwicke Marriage Act.  Senior moment.

Ann my message above should really read.

1753 -1837 - Marital status (single, widowed ) Parish status (of the parish or not) and the marriage witnesses. Prior to 1753 you would be unlikely to glean anymore information that you already have.

Rick :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline geniecolgan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 September 08 16:32 BST (UK) »
Rick,

"Senior moments", surely not ;D

It does depend on what Anna needs. In my case it was well worth the expenditure to read the actual signatures and prove the case.

Genie  :)

Offline Ann12

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum - third from the left
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 September 08 08:50 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Many thanks to you all for your help.

I think I will order the transcripts, the witnesses signatures of all 3 might help me to make more connections. 

Thanks again
Anna
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />names: <br />Josolyne - Essex & Herts, <br />Wainwright - Hamps & London, <br />Kentish - Rotherhithe, London & Kent, <br />Herbert - Seaford, Sussex - London & Glous
Mumford - Essex, Birchanger
Sims-Miles - London & Hertfordshire
Cooper - Great Witley and London (Holborn)
Greengrass - Kent & London

Offline geniecolgan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 September 08 15:28 BST (UK) »
Good luck and I hope the register entries give you a lead.

Offline Benzol

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 28 September 08 00:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Anna

If you're not in a raging hurry why not ask for a Herts Rootschatter to lookup the marriages using parish and date details obtained from the Allen Index. Unfortunately I'm in Kent or I'd look for you. you can always approach HALS later on if you need copies of marriage records.

Benzol
Herts Barnes/Baines Bottom(s) Dawson Odell (Pirton, Sandon)
Somerset Bull Churchill Ferguson Palmer (Crewkerne, Misterton)
Scotland McNaughton Douglas Archer Robertson (Perth)