Author Topic: DUNDALK - DUNNE/McCAUGHLEY Marriage records - advice/help please?!  (Read 6319 times)

Offline edinjam

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DUNDALK - DUNNE/McCAUGHLEY Marriage records - advice/help please?!
« on: Sunday 21 September 08 10:30 BST (UK) »
Hello there -  have been using Rootschat to trace my mother's side of the family and have been amazed at how far back I have got and how helpful and knowledgeable people have been.  I know that researching my Irish ancestry is going to be more difficult BUT, having whetted my appetite,  my father's side of the family is calling!

I have a death card/prayer card from my Grandfather's EDWARD JOSEPH DUNNE's funeral in 1953 - he died in Manchester but was born in Dundalk - as he was aged 56 in November 1953 I have surmised that he was born in 1896/7.   I have an address written down for him of 33 Long Avenue Dundalk but am not sure if I should trust this as being his address before moving to Manchester as I don't know who wrote it down, where it came from etc.

He married a MARGARET MARY McCAUGHLEY (not absolutely sure that this is the right spelling). I assume they married in Ireland - they had their first child in 1924 so probably looking at a marriage in 1922/23/24.

I guess I am looking to get hold of Edward Joseph Dunne's birth certificate and the marriage certificate or record would be good to confirm Margaret Mary's spelling of the surname.  Sadly Margaret ended up dying during the WW2 Blitz in Manchester leaving her 5 sons motherless and my Dad's father badly injured.

I would dearly like to find out more but really do feel like I am sailing into unchartered waters - I had a look at the Irish Records office site and have sent them an email but am not sure whether they are going to help me as it involves a little "research" rather than a straightforward certificate purchase.  I live in Glasgow - are there any resources I can search here?

I have heard on the family grapevine that Edward's father was a member of the Royal Irish Constabulary too - if I find a record of Edward Joseph's birth I am hoping it will help  me to find out a bit more about this too.

Would appreciate any help and advice you can give me!  Many thanks, Mary

Offline jbhall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: DUNDALK - DUNNE/McCAUGHLEY Marriage records - advice/help please?!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 September 08 16:57 BST (UK) »
Mary - From the point of view of the RIC and what you can do in Glasgow, you should be able to access (or order up) Jim Herlihy's book "The Royal Irish Constabulary: a Complete Alphabetical List of Officers and Men, 1816-1922", Dublin, 1999 in your local library. This gives a list of all men who served in the RIC, with service number etc. The RIC records are on microfilm in the National Archives Kew and the National Archives in Dublin. I don't know if these films are available in the Archives in Scotland. It would be worth asking. Once you have the service number, they are very easy to look up. I have Herlihy's previous book "The Royal Irish Constabulary: A Short History and Genealogical Guide", Dublin, 1997 and that has a few Dunnes (if that is the name you are looking for). It has a lot fewer names than the other book mentioned above, but there is one Edward Dunne, though he was killed in Co. Cork in 1920. Other Dunnes mentioned are Denis, John, Joseph, Michael and Patrick.
Louth: Hall, Kindlon, Hughes, McAuley, Cumiskey
Cavan: Langan, Reilly
Dublin: McAuley, Murphy
England & Wales: Parkhouse, Callow, Callowhill, Vinall, Huzzey, Mortimer

Offline edinjam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 September 08 20:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you JBhall.  Yes, that is definitely one publication to get ordered up in the local library - I am keen to establish the name of my Great Grandfather so I can pursue this line of enquiry. Fingers crossed I'll get hold of my Grandfather's birth certificate or record then all will be revealed!

I can get along to the Mitchell library which holds much of the Scottish genealogy records - it MIGHT have some Irish records - I shall check that out - it would be excellent if it did.

Anyway thanks for your reply.  I'll report back here on my progress.
Mary

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 10:36 BST (UK) »
To order Irish birth, death and marriage certificates:
www.groireland.ie/apply_for_a_cert.htm
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline edinjam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 September 08 22:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the link to the website - I was a little confused about exactly how much research they were prepared to do but I e-mailed and asked and they got back to me pretty promptly attaching the relevant forms and clarifying a few things. 

So, am on the case for getting hold of the birth certificate of Edward Joseph Dunne and his marriage to Margaret McCaughley.  The Irish GRO don't make it easy though do they?  I don't possess a credit card and even if I did I don't think I'd be happy writing down my card number, expiry date and 3 letter security number AND furnishing them with my signature and posting it - feels a little bit un-secure to me!?  And they only accept Euro cheques drawn on an Irish Bank account.  It's been a long time since I considered sending cash in the post but I think I will on this occasion!  Is that what a lot of people do?

Anyway, will get my 12 Euros off to them on Monday and will be intrigued to see what they come up with.

Offline edinjam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: DUNDALK - DUNNE/McCAUGHLEY Marriage records - advice/help please?! UPDATED
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 November 08 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Latest update on this.  After a few mis-spent Euros and a wrong turn or two I have located my Grandmother MARGARET MARY McAUGHLEY (spelling different to what I had)  who was born as I thought in Dundalk.  That was a relatively straightforward and successful a transaction with GROI.  Unfortunately I was unable to locate my Grandfather EDWARD JOSEPH DUNNE but that was down to the fact that I thought he was born in Dundalk.  It transpires that he was in fact born in Belfast - my 82 year old mother put me straight on that tonight.

So I now know he was born in Annadale Street Belfast and baptised in St Patrick's RC church in January 1897.  HIs father's name was PETER DUNNE  and he is down on his birth record as being a constable in the RIC.  SO - time to get looking for that Jim Herlihy book!

If JBHall gets back to this thread I am wondering whether your McAuleys and my McAughley are linked in any way - I know that this surname has many mutations and can't find any other McAughleys on the usual Irish family history sites but maybe I am not looking properly?

Offline jbhall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 November 08 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Edinjam, I have sent you a private message. regards, Brendan
Louth: Hall, Kindlon, Hughes, McAuley, Cumiskey
Cavan: Langan, Reilly
Dublin: McAuley, Murphy
England & Wales: Parkhouse, Callow, Callowhill, Vinall, Huzzey, Mortimer