Author Topic: Wareham, Corfe Castel, Langton Matravers  (Read 15177 times)

Offline Keon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wareham, Corfe Castel, Langton Matravers
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 24 September 08 02:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks guys.
Always new places to look. It's never ending and I suppose thats why it's so much fun.

Jeff

Offline quigley1846

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 February 10 16:23 GMT (UK) »
I saw your post on Keats and was wondering if there is a connection: Below is my research
Bernie

Descendants of Robert Keats
Generation No. 1
   1.  Robert1 Keats was born in Corfe Castle, Dorset England.  He married Elizabeth Arnold 22 May 1826 in Wareham, England.  She was born in Corfe Castle, Dorset, England..

More About Robert Keats and Elizabeth Arnold:
Marriage: 22 May 1826, Wareham, England

Children of Robert Keats and Elizabeth Arnold are:
+   2   i.   Charles2 Keats, born in Dorchester, Dorsetshire England.
   3   ii.   John Keats, born 1833.

Generation No. 2
   2.  Charles2 Keats (Robert1)1 was born in Dorchester, Dorsetshire England.  He married Elizabeth Haggett 25 Oct 1855 in Fogo,NF, daughter of Isaac Haggett and Martha Primmer.  She was born 1837 in Barr'd Island NF, and died 20 Oct 1894 in Barr'd Island NF.

Notes for Charles Keats:
Charles Keatswas most likely the sonof Robert Keats and Elizabeth Arnold of Corfe Castle, dorset, England.Charles named Dorchester, england as his address when he marrie in Barr'd Island, NFin 1855. Corfe Castle is abut 21 miles from Dorchester. Charles was baptised July 15 1827 and the oldest of 10 children. He hadsiblings James 1829, Henry 1831, John 1833, Elzabeth Arnold 1835, William 1837, Sarah 1839, George 1842, Jane 1845 and Sophia 1846. Charles's paternal grandparents were John Keate and Sarah Best.

More About Charles Keats:

More About Elizabeth Haggett:
Burial: 22 Oct 1894, Joe Batts Arm NF

Marriage Notes for Charles Keats and Elizabeth Haggett:
Newfoundland Grand Banks site,
25 oct 1855            CHARLES KEATS bachelor of Dorchester, Dorsetshire, England and ELIZABETH HAGGETT spinster of Barr’d Island were married at St. Andrews Church 25 October 1855 by William Alexander Elder. In the presence of Richard Read, Mary Haggett, and Julia Brown.

More About Charles Keats and Elizabeth Haggett:
Marriage: 25 Oct 1855, Fogo,NF

Children of Charles Keats and Elizabeth Haggett are:
+   4   i.   Charlotte Mary3 Keats, born Abt. 1857 in Boyd's Island Newfoundland?; died Abt. 1935 in Norris Arm NF.
   5   ii.   Mary Ann Keats, born 01 Jun 1856 in Barr'd Island NF.

Notes for Mary Ann Keats:
Keates, Mary Ann dau. of Charles and Elizabeth Keates of Barr'd Islands bapt. 1 Jun. 1856

+   6   iii.   William Thomas Keats, born Mar 1850 in Barr'd Island NF; died 11 Nov 1937 in Barr'd Island NF.
+   7   iv.   Isaac Keats, born 1863 in Shoal Bay NF; died 1940.
   8   v.   Robert Edward Keats, born Bef. Jul 1867 in Barr'd Island NF.  He married Martha Pope 25 Sep 1891 in Anglican Church, Fogo Island, Newfoundland.

Notes for Robert Edward Keats:
Baptised
Keates, Robert Edward son of Charles and Elizabeth Keates of Barr'd Islands bapt. 14 May 1867

Marriage Notes for Robert Keats and Martha Pope:
Marriage Record
25 SEP 1891 ROBERT EDWARD KEATES MARTHA POPE 25 20 FISHERMAN   BARR'D ISLANDS SHOAL BAY, FOGO CHARLES KEATES ROBERT POPE SERVANT FISHERMAN JOHN KEATES STEPHEN POPE JAMES KEATES   W. CHARLES WHITE

More About Robert Keats and Martha Pope:
Marriage: 25 Sep 1891, Anglican Church, Fogo Island, Newfoundland

9   vi.   James Keats, born 1872 in Barr'd Island NF.

Notes for James Keats:
Keates, James son of Charles and Elizabeth Keates of Barr'd Islands bapt. 19 May 1872

+   10   vii.   John Keats, born Oct 1876 in Barr'd Island NF.
   11   viii.   Clara Keats, born 1876 in Barr'd Island NF; died 1955 in Barr'd Island NF.  She married Josiah Brown 11 Feb 1898 in Fogo Island - Methodist Mission Marriage Records; born Abt. 1864.

Notes for Clara Keats:
Keates, Clara dau. of Charles and Elizabeth Keates of Barr'd Islands bapt. 15 Oct. 1876

Marriage Notes for Clara Keats and Josiah Brown:
1928 Voters List
BROWN Josiah of Jacob Joe Batts Arm
BROWN Clara Joe Batts Arm

More About Josiah Brown and Clara Keats:
Marriage: 11 Feb 1898, Fogo Island - Methodist Mission Marriage Records

12   ix.   Lucy Keats.  She married Harvey Cull.

Generation No. 3
   4.  Charlotte Mary3 Keats (Charles2, Robert1) was born Abt. 1857 in Boyd's Island Newfoundland?, and died Abt. 1935 in Norris Arm NF.  She married (1) Solomon Toms in Halls Bay, Newfoundland.  He was born 1854 in Kings Point Newfoundland, and died 05 Oct 1940 in Norris Arm, Newfoundland.  She married (2) Possibly Richard Cull.    She married (3) Andrew Keough 06 Nov 1890 in Mortons Hr. Parish, Twillingate District Newfoundland, son of Patrick Keough and Suzanna Ryan.  He was born 10 Mar 1847 in Plate Cove East, Kings Co.  Newfoundland.

Notes for Charlotte Mary Keats:
Charlotte was rebaptised into the Roman Catholic faith as Charlotte Mary Keough, on April 27 1892 at Tilting. (reference PANL RC Parish Records Box 1 Tilting 08072009).

The Methodist marriage record indicates that Andrew "Kehoe", 41, Boyd`s Island, married Charlotte Keats, 25, Boyd`s Island. (The age recorded for Charlotte does not agree with other sources.)

I have more info

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline RRYFS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul,
The Stockley and Keats connection I have is Shadrach Keats and Martha Stockley married about 1730, yhe actual date escapes me right now.
Their son William Keats came to Newfoundland.
this family is actually on my mothers side of the tree.
William Keats' granddaughter married a Tilley and they are my grandmother's family.
My father's Keats came from Wareham.

I will Pm you.

Jeff

Hi Jeff

Was this marriage in Newfoundland? My wife is a Tilley, and I have quite a bit of info on Tilleys in Poole. I have no record of any of the family going to Newfoundland, but bearing in mind the important trade links between the two, it is quite possible. There is also lots of info in the Poole Local History Centre about family connections with Newfoundland. Let me know if I can help there.

Richard
Leicestershire - Yates, Wright, Pole, Blakesley
Dorset - Tilley, Hunt
Dorset/Somerset - Rogers
Dorset/Southampton - Trodd

Offline cwelli

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 24 February 10 10:20 GMT (UK) »
The 1790 Corfe Castle census is on the Dorset OPC site. The first item listed. As far as I can remember it is as transcribed from the Dorset History Centre in Dorchester and you could e mail the transcriber although she does live in Australia!
Similar to other people I have several Corfe Castle Keats who are in my family tree, however all the information comes from the Dorset OPC site which I think is one of the best county sites that I have found. The family Dorset History Centre in Dorchester is very user friendly and helpful if you are able to pay it a visit. If your Keats search comes into Lukers then I can be of a greater help.

Offline Paul Caswell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me in my natural state
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 24 February 10 19:20 GMT (UK) »
The 1790 Corfe Castle census is on the Dorset OPC site. ...

Thanks for the heads-up! :) I didn't know. I have been looking forward to this.

Paul
Caswell - Durham(Jarrow), Northumberland(Berwick), Dorset(Netherbury)
Drury - Middlesex(Kensington), Shropshire(Oswestry/Selattyn)
Turner - Dorset(Parkstone)
Speight - Essex(Braintree), Kent(Gravesend), Westmorland(Kendal)
Stockley - Dorset(Corfe Castle)
Amey - Suffolk(Haverhill)
Cousins - Norfolk(Ketteringham)
Sears - Bedfordshire(Potton), Cambridgeshire(Gamlingay)
Census information is Crown Copyright

Offline wallis7090

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 04 April 10 14:04 BST (UK) »
If you go to the National Archives website, fill "Stockley Dorset" in the search box, it comes up with lots of references which you can follow online.  Happy hunting!

Offline Keon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 09 October 11 14:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Bernie,
Had a computer crash and have been away from research for a while.
If this is a confirmed connection to England then your Keats' and Fogo are related to mine in Bonavista.
Jeff

Offline sheila47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 20:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Keon.  I'm hoping you still use Rootschat. My interest in the Stockley family starts with my ggg grandfather Henry Furmage, who married Caroline Stockley in Corfe Castle in 1843. There seems to be a whole army of Stockleys native to that area.

Offline seagullsurfer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 24 August 12 20:12 BST (UK) »
Hi not sure if you have checked out the OPC Dorset site for Corfe as mentioned earlier but as well as a 1790 census there is also one for 1811 1821 and 1831! I was lucky enough to contact the present clerk  who is local and she was extremely helpful in my search for particular Roes and Smiths in Corfe . There are plenty of Stockleys in the 1811 having had a quick glance. Happy searching!
Gibson, Smith , Bishop Auckland , Sunderland Co.Durham
Steele, Lea,  Sandbach , Crewe  Cheshire
Myers,Yorkshire Pudsey, Sunderland,South Shields
Walsche,(Walsh ), Beryl, New York, Liverpool, South Shields Co.Durham, Dorset
Smith , Roe, Corfe Castle
Harrington , Liverpool
Parker , London,  W Yorks