Author Topic: Help please - missing ancestor on 1871  (Read 1040 times)

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
Help please - missing ancestor on 1871
« on: Sunday 30 January 05 02:35 GMT (UK) »
A Rootschatter has found someone who appears to be my g-g-grandmother Mary Martin on 1871 living in Marylebone and supporting herself as a needleworker.  She is listed as "married", but her husband Edward cannot be found!

I am thinking that Edward may have been ill and in hospital - it seems that he was still alive at this stage.

Does anyone know whether hospital patients were listed for the censuses?  And if so, is there a way I may follow these up?  Or can anyone hazard a guess about where else Edward may have been??

The 1851 Census gives him as 44 and born in Marylebone.  He was then living at 2 North Place, Regent's Park and had a business as a stone and coal merchant.  He was not there in 1861.  In 1867, when my g-grandmother Caroline was married at St Anne's Soho, the address given was 9 Rose St., Soho. 

I am having real trouble tracing Edward, and would be grateful for any suggestions - no matter how fanciful!!!

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help please - missing ancestor on 1871
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 January 05 06:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marie

Sometimes (but not always), patients (particularly asylums and prisoners were listed by initials rather than name.

I have searched E M in 1871:

age 64 male solicitor (lunatic) at Munster House, Fulham Road, Fulham (no birth place given)

That's the only one near date wise.

Doesn't help much I'm afraid but at least you know somebody has looked.

Best wishes

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gennig

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 January 05 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marie

Stone and coal merchant - Could Edward have done a bit of travelling.

As a matter of interest 9 Rose Street Soho was St John Baptist Mission House on the 1871 census.

Genni
All census look up transcriptions are Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames:
Armstrong, Gray, Greco, Lambden, Le Busque, Beaton, Carron, Pitt, Gould
Areas:
Victoria, Tasmania, Hampshire, Berkshire, Yorkshire, Fermanagh, Glamorgan

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 January 05 03:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks friends! :)

Casalguidi, it's good to know how patients were treated in the census.  Had that entry you found not said solicitor, I would have got quite excited!  But I wouldn't think he would have become a solicitor late in life.

Casalguidi, I don't suppose you know how I could chase those patient records just in case the entry was wrong?  Does the London Met Archives hold old patient records?  Please let me know if you know - I would like to check it Just In Case!!!...

Genni, thanks for the suggestion about travelling.  One to ponder.  I suppose if he was travelling in England (and he had family and perhaps business links to Yorkshire) he still should show up on the census.  Obviously if outside England, then he wouldn't show up.  The question is - if he was still making a living, why was his wife working to support herself?

Someone had told me about the St John Baptist Mission House.  But I know the Martins weren't there in 1871.

Anyway, thanks both of you for the info.  I will ponder further, and try to search further for my mystery man.  If all else fails, maybe someone will get them on 1861 when it becomes available!

MarieC ???  :'(
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 January 05 06:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marie

I am not sure what LMA have.  It may well depend on whether it was a public or private asylum:

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corporation/leisure_heritage/libraries_archives_museums_galleries/JAS/lma/lma.htm

Personally, I would wait to find them in 1861 first.

Best wishes

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 31 January 05 08:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Casalguidi

I may try to contact LMA and just see what they can tell me.  But certainly, I'll look forward to 1861 becoming available!

Best wishes,

Marie