Author Topic: Williams- Old family Merioneth?  (Read 16211 times)

Offline Bryn Meurig

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Williams- Old family Merioneth?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 20 September 10 12:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Peter,

I'm new to this, so I hope I'm not breaking any of the rules!!

Hi Willjay

.......First I have Margaret Davies marrying Richard Jones in 1843.......
Peter

I'm searching for any details about the Davies family who lived at Ffridd, Dolwyddelan, which is close to Penrhiw.

I have Robert Davies, born c. 1760 and died 8th.April, 1842.
His wife was Elinor, born c.1762 and died 29th. March,1848.
Their son was also Robert, born c.1799 and died 10th. July, 1883.
He was married to ?Jane, born c.1814 and died 14th. December, 1870.

I know where to find Ffridd, have seen the gravestones for the 4 above in Dolwyddelan churchyard, and they are mentioned on the 1881 census.

Robert and Jane's son, Owen William Davies, born 25th.July,1850 and died 8th.June, 1905 was my great grandfather.

An American connection tells me: "My greatgrandfather was Owen Davies, too, born about 1859.......  I have copies of the 1841 and 1851 censuses at home and there are quite a few Davies......the most important clue is that Dafydd Williams (book about History ofColumbia County, WI) had sons who all took the name of Davies. My Owen's father was Robert who was perhaps the son of David Roberts, or possibly Hugh Davies (son of Dafydd Williams) who more likely was the father of Jane Davies whom Robert married.  I have the census for 1841 which includes both Robert and Hugh and several other Davies." This person's grandfather's brother was David Davies, who died at Ffridd in the early 1900's.

The parish register also shows David, born 1805, Mary, born 1796 and Catherine (mother Ellin) born 1788.

Does any of this tie up with what you have, or help you?

If it does, and you contact me privately (in a PM?), I can introduce you to the American connection!

Regards,

Bryn Meurig.

Davies, Owen, Jones, Pritchard in Dolwyddelan and Penmachno.
Hughes, Jones, Closs in/near Llanberis.
Aston, Walker in the Lye, Worcs.
Farrell, Hollins, Holland in Birmingham.

Offline Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 20 September 10 15:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Bryn

rules??

Anyway regarding Margaret Williams's (nee Davies) - her father was indeed Robert but (and I am guessing) this Robert was possibly born 1788. I am basing this on the fact that in 1851 there was a Robert Davies living with her family in Penrhiw and he is a widower aged 63. I have no evidence to support my guess however.
It is about time I had another 'go' at the mysteries that surround this part of my family and will probably try and find some more evidence in the form of certificates or maybe ask on these page for look-ups. I will have to get my head around this again and will contact you should anything useful materialise. It may take some time.
In the meantime perhaps you would kindly supply some of the flesh of your evidence such as the census references and/or the births/marriages in case these help. You can send these using Rootschat's personal message system (the symbol below the name) and there is no need to exchange email addresses at least at this stage.

Regards

Peter
Jones, Edwards, Davies, Owen, Benjamin , Hughes , Roberts,Thomas,Williams, Wynne , Griffiths, Howells, Rowlands etc etc
plus
Thomas,Trewren,Holmes,Thirlwall,Jones again & again
& more

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Med Jones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 16 March 17 20:06 GMT (UK) »
hi Pam my family are from Gardd Llygad y Dydd but there are 2 farmhouses there and both are Williams! Both families ( my grandfather Thomas Williams and William Williams family) have been buried next to each other in Llanfrothen cemetry.I acn tell you that my great great grandmother was called Mary Jones. She came orig from Brondanw Llanfrothen and died 3/3/1929. She married Thomas Williams from Gardd Llygad y Dydd who was born 10/11/1827 and died when he was 62.

Seeing that you have the Powell surname at the bottom of your message then you might be searching for the family next door who are related to the famous Welsh judge Dewi Watkin Powell.

Hi Ger1!

Mary Jones - Linked to my Family, she was my 3rd great aunt her parents were Edward and Alice Jones, of Gatehouse parc, Edward Died in 1888 listed as Brondanw Uchaf on his gravestone, Capel Ramoth cemetery, Llanfrothen. Edward is buried there with his wife Alice and his Daughter Catherine, and also his son John Edward Jones (Mary's sibling) who died aged 30 in 1879.

Offline JudithDanielsen

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 13 October 17 23:57 BST (UK) »
My gggrandfather was David Roberts who had Robert Davies who married Jane Davies daughter of Hugh Davies.  One of their sons was Owen Davies who married Elizabeth Jones and they came to America in 1882.  They lived in Ohio and then died young in Cambria WI.  I have a tree on Roots Web and Ancestry named Davies from Dolwyddelan Wales to OH WI SD by JCD.  Owen's brother Hugh Davies came to America after them and disappeared.  Eager to communicate with you.