Author Topic: Williams- Old family Merioneth?  (Read 16210 times)

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Williams- Old family Merioneth?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 25 September 08 00:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter,

A preliminary search through the index entries for Dolwyddelan did not produce any mention of Griffith Williams; perhaps when I get the time do do the same for Ellinor in Llanrwst something may come to light. Shall let you know if it does.
              Cheers,

Pinot

Offline Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 25 September 08 09:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks Pinot

Peter
Jones, Edwards, Davies, Owen, Benjamin , Hughes , Roberts,Thomas,Williams, Wynne , Griffiths, Howells, Rowlands etc etc
plus
Thomas,Trewren,Holmes,Thirlwall,Jones again & again
& more

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline aled23

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 28 September 08 17:26 BST (UK) »
small world Pam.....sent you some info via e-mail....

Offline ger1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 05 October 08 13:17 BST (UK) »
hi Pam my family are from Gardd Llygad y Dydd but there are 2 farmhouses there and both are Williams! Both families ( my grandfather Thomas Williams and William Williams family) have been buried next to each other in Llanfrothen cemetry.I acn tell you that my great great grandmother was called Mary Jones. She came orig from Brondanw Llanfrothen and died 3/3/1929. She married Thomas Williams from Gardd Llygad y Dydd who was born 10/11/1827 and died when he was 62.

Seeing that you have the Powell surname at the bottom of your message then you might be searching for the family next door who are related to the famous Welsh judge Dewi Watkin Powell.

Offline Willjay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 21:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter,
I see you have been researching a Williams family in Dolwyddelan. My Williams family were at Beudy Bach (just a 100 yards or so from Penrhiw) in the 1840's and 1850's. There were Williams' also in Penrhiw and I've wondered if there is a connection between the families?
Willjay
Hi Pinot

I also have a Williams family which I have traced back to Griffith Williams born circa 1786 in Dolwyddelan who married an Ellinor Roberts from Llanrwst (first chil born around 1812) and wonder if by any chance this family is mentioned in the book. If it is I will of course purchase the book.

Thanks

Peter
Williams, Dolwyddelan
Roberts, Dolwyddelan
Moseley, Breconshire & Monmouthshire
Richmond, Breconshire & Monmouthshire
Parker, Gloucestershire
Jenner, Gloucestershire

Offline Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 23:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Willjay

There appear to be several Williams families from the area. I have traced back to Griffith W born circa 1786 in Dolwyddelan who married Elinor (Roberts I believe) from the Llanrwst area. I have found 6 children Robert, John, Catherine,Griffith John again (assume first John died) and Jane and many more grandchildren and the next few generations. There also seem to be Jones's living at the farm which seems to be split although I do not have details at the moment.
Would like to forward what you have via Ancestry in a PM which you will be able to do after I think your 3rd posting and we can take it from there.

Peter
Jones, Edwards, Davies, Owen, Benjamin , Hughes , Roberts,Thomas,Williams, Wynne , Griffiths, Howells, Rowlands etc etc
plus
& more

Offline Willjay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 07 September 09 21:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter,

I can happily send you more information in a PM if you want. I think there is a probable family connection between the Williams family in Beudu Bach and one, or both, of the two households in Penrhiw. Beudy Bach was a very small house, now in ruins, and only a few yards from Penrhiw. It could have been part of the Penrhiw farm and used by a family member. I don't have much information on the older children in the 1841 census for Beudy Bach but I do have family trees for the younger ones, including Catherine, from whom I am descended. I have details of memorial inscriptions in the old churchyard in Dolwyddelan.

Willjay
Hi Willjay

There appear to be several Williams families from the area. I have traced back to Griffith W born circa 1786 in Dolwyddelan who married Elinor (Roberts I believe) from the Llanrwst area. I have found 6 children Robert, John, Catherine,Griffith John again (assume first John died) and Jane and many more grandchildren and the next few generations. There also seem to be Jones's living at the farm which seems to be split although I do not have details at the moment.
Would like to forward what you have via Ancestry in a PM which you will be able to do after I think your 3rd posting and we can take it from there.

Peter
Williams, Dolwyddelan
Roberts, Dolwyddelan
Moseley, Breconshire & Monmouthshire
Richmond, Breconshire & Monmouthshire
Parker, Gloucestershire
Jenner, Gloucestershire

Offline Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 02 October 09 23:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Willjay

Apologies for not replying sooner. I am still waiting for some certificates ordered a couple of weeks ago which may help.

Will be in touch idc

Peter
plus
& more

Offline Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 22 October 09 17:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Willjay

I have received a couple of certificates and they may or may not help us.
They are both marriage certificates.
First I have Margaret Davies marrying Richard Jones in 1843. Richard subsequently must have died and Margaret remarried Robert Williams in 1851(this is the other cert). Robert and Margaret then lived in Penrhiw and they are my ancestors. The family stayed in Penrhiw until around 1901+ and then moved to the Wrexham area.
I am guessing that Richard Jones was living at Penrhiw when he married although I have no evidence except he was described as a farmer in the certificate. There are also other Jones's in Penrhiw continuously and the house was obviously split.
There is a Cathrine born circa 1845 in the family in 1851 and at the moment I am not sure who were her parents. I could be Jones/Davies and she assumed the name Williams or it could be that she is the daughter of Robert Williams and ? as Robert is described as a widower in his marriage certificate. She was born in Festiniog where I 'think' Robert was living in 1841 with a Lowry. I have not yet had time to ask the Registrar to look for the marriage and this will now have to wait until December as I am away shortly.
Does my Cathrine sound a possibility as being yours?
I have some details of MI's from Dolwyddelan from a visit a few years ago but I now have new names to look for. Any sign of a Lowry?
I hope this is not too garbled. I am rushing a little.

Peter
plus
& more