Author Topic: Help needed please  (Read 1833 times)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed please
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 18:36 BST (UK) »
Switchboard.com gives addresses and phone numbers (unless unlisted) for free.  I see 8 Gordon Stringers, but none have the middle initials you mentioned.   

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 22:55 BST (UK) »
New thread searching for Gordon in Massachusetts here:
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=329593.new
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 24 September 08 17:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Mars Barr,

I think what has happened is that you have put his name in the search box but not under "exact names", when you do it the way you have done it, it does bring up that this person is in Mass. Directories, but once you click on them, it has just highlighted the words, but not his full name.  Does that make sense??

It has a star system, 5 being the best and 1 the worst, all the ones in the Mass. Directory are ones.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline Mars Barr

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 25 September 08 09:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you Karen for your reply.

I, like you mentioned, just typed in his name, but I do`nt think I specified exact name. Anyway, I will today have another go and see what happens this time, doing as you suggest,

I was so hoping that it would have been him, I do`nt think his middle names are very common, so it is a good chance that it may well have been him.
I`ll have another try anyway,keeping my fingers crossed!
Gartland (Canada)  Copeland (Derby & Leicester)  Barr (Greenock-Scotland)
Geoghan(Ireland)  Jarvis (Essex)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 25 September 08 13:52 BST (UK) »
I've never seen middle names in a city directory.  At most, I've seen initials.  So, I wouldn't expect to see his full name show up in a city directory.

As I said in the other thread, I didn't see anyone that matched him in the Massachusetts city directories, so I wouldn't get your hopes up.  Like Karen said, the Ancestry search engine will bring up unlikely matches.  With his full name involved and not looking for an exact match, you could be bringing up someone with the surname Gordon on one line and someone with the first name Graham on another line. 

Offline Mars Barr

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 26 September 08 12:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for the help you have given in trying to find Gordon for me.
I`m sure he is still out there somewhere and I just hope I can find him before its too late.
I have now tried all the sources I can find, I have also checked the death indexes (England) ,and he
does not appear, so I`ll keep on hoping and trying.

I have checked the passenger lists also for when he was a childi  in case his mother had taken him o/seast  but againn nothing.

I would like to say that like myself, there must be many others who are grateful for all the wonderful help and advice you give in trying to help solve  the many queries posted, I think you are all wonderful giving so much time and effort to find the answers and break down so many brickwalls
so once again,many many thanks and gratitude for all the help you have given, both for this query and the many others I have posted.
No doubt over time I will be back again with more mysteries to solve, and I know you will be just as helpful once again, what would I and others do without you!
Gartland (Canada)  Copeland (Derby & Leicester)  Barr (Greenock-Scotland)
Geoghan(Ireland)  Jarvis (Essex)