Author Topic: The Mystery of the Right Foot  (Read 2077 times)

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 9 brig. Royal Fusiliers War Diary (large portion)
    • View Profile
The Mystery of the Right Foot
« on: Tuesday 23 September 08 15:48 BST (UK) »
Please could I have some help - skills not great enough to do this!

I received this photo yesterday of my Paternal Grandfather b1887/8.

I actually met him in 1952/3 not long before his death but I never saw him on his feet - he was in bed.   I suspect he may have been very short in stature - my father was only 5'4" and looking at him in relation to the chair in the picture I think he might have been just about the same.

What intrigues me about this picture is his right foot - the heel of the shoe is raised - I am sure he was not well off enough to do that for the sake of fashion - or was it actually the way shoes were fashioned at that time.   The trouser leg is longer on that side and he almost looks as though he has a club foot or at the very least some kind of surgical shoe.    Nothing of this is known by myself or his other two grandchildren.   

Would it be possible to enhance his right leg and shoe so that it can be viewed more clearly?

I find it hard to believe it is a club foot because he served in the Royal Navy.

Many thanks for any help - Sue

ANDERSON (Kings Lynn, Norfolk) BREWER (Somerset) BALDWIN (Catfield, Norfolk) CRONSHAW(Accrington, Lancs) DEAN (Accrington, Lancs) FOSTER, FORSTER (Astbury, Cheshire AND Canada AND U.S.A.) BRIGHT (London) ROWLAND (Essex and Hampshire) SEWARD (Petersfield, Hampshire) BAILEY/ BROWN (Biddulph, Staffordshire)

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Mystery of the Right Foot
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 18:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Dean  ;)

If you read this scanning tutorial by Cazza she includes a section on how to reduce the size of your file.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,198165.0.html

Hope it works for you!

Judy  ;)
Best wishes, Judy :-))

"All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 18:28 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, Sue
ANDERSON (Kings Lynn, Norfolk) BREWER (Somerset) BALDWIN (Catfield, Norfolk) CRONSHAW(Accrington, Lancs) DEAN (Accrington, Lancs) FOSTER, FORSTER (Astbury, Cheshire AND Canada AND U.S.A.) BRIGHT (London) ROWLAND (Essex and Hampshire) SEWARD (Petersfield, Hampshire) BAILEY/ BROWN (Biddulph, Staffordshire)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 18:53 BST (UK) »
My great-uncle was lame from polio he contracted when young and had to wear a built-up shoe on one foot. Currently a cousin has the same sort of shoe because of a hip defect so there might be different reasons for this.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 19:05 BST (UK) »
I did wonder if he had, in fact, just broken his leg - that can cause shortening if it is a bad break and not set well.   It may be my imagination about the shoe but would like to see for sure.

Best wishes, Sue

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 20:42 BST (UK) »
I would say that both shoes are the same height.

I know nothing of men's fashions of that period, but the heels do seem higher thn today and I'd guess it was either the style (I am old enough to remember "stacks" for men) or perhaps he was a little short and self conscious of it.

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Niksmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Bermuda 2014
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 22:13 BST (UK) »
Could they be cuban heels  ???

Irene
Buckinghamshire-Babbs<br />Somerset-Smith<br />Woolwich-Elliott<br />London-Elliott, Hare,Baker

Restorers please do NOT use any restores done by me without my permission

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 22:29 BST (UK) »
Not sure if they are cuban - he was English and an Inland Revenue Civil Servant - probably didn't go clubbing!   Maybe cuban heels were fashionable at that time - it is either 1900 and he is 22 or it is 1910 and he is 32 - I can't make up my mind which age he looks.    If he was 32 he would have a few children and would be looking careworn I should think and he looks a bit shy and as most young men do, is trying to look confident.    You are right though - if they were boots they would look like a Spanish dancers heels.    He seems to have incredibly big feet for such a small chap - trick of the light I am sure!    He certainly isn't wearing a surgical shoe but I can't actually see the heel of his left boot.

Sue

Offline Niksmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Bermuda 2014
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 22:42 BST (UK) »
A clean

Irene

Buckinghamshire-Babbs<br />Somerset-Smith<br />Woolwich-Elliott<br />London-Elliott, Hare,Baker

Restorers please do NOT use any restores done by me without my permission