Author Topic: Boolavogue Catholic Church  (Read 10032 times)

Offline anbraca

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Boolavogue Catholic Church
« Reply #9 on: Friday 13 February 09 21:10 GMT (UK) »
appoligy accepted  :)

Offline kebholes

• RootsChat Extra
  • We will find em all
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 10 December 09 18:25 GMT (UK) »
hi, i went to this church last week whilst i was in Ireland and indeed the photo is correct! I have family buried in the grave yard... i am just a little confused as to who is buried there? Am i correct in thinking that just because someone has errected a head stone with a number of names on it along with the date of death and age that the site may not contain all the people mentioned?

Also on the same subject, My gtgt Grandmother was baptised in Monageer but buried in Boolavogue and indeed attended mass at Boolavogue... Any ideas why she would of been baptised at a neighbouring chuch? The family lived just a five minute walk from this Chuch!
Bolger [England And Ireland]
O'Donoghue [London and Ireland]
May [England]
Eves [England]
Larkin [England and Ireland]
Chiverton [England]
Blackwell [England]
Keogh [Ireland]
Hanson [England]
Fitzgerald [Ireland]
French [England]
Murphy [Ireland]
Dixon [Ireland]

Offline anbraca

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 10 December 09 20:18 GMT (UK) »
hi kebholes, your first question as to who is burried in the garve,i would say that any names that are on the "headstone",would be intered in that grave
as regards to monagear/boolavogue.
boolavogue is the ½ parish of monagear,and there could be many reasons asto why one would be baptiesd in one or the other,just like in those days,the priest from monagear would hear confessions in boolavogue once a month and vise versa, i sopose to give (the sinners who would not confess to their local priest a chance to go to the one who would not know them)and also regarding babtisim,its possable the local priest was not available,for whatever reason,or if the child was not well,and the parents thought it wise to have it babtised just in case,again im sure that you could request to be burried in either one if you so wanted to ,again,  for reasons of her or his own. hope this helps.
ill be there myself for xmas ,if it ever stops raining ;D

Offline kebholes

• RootsChat Extra
  • We will find em all
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 10 December 09 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that anbraca! It just seems strange that 5 people [or more] are buried in one grave... assuming the six foot under rule... i hope climate change and all that doesent errode the first foot or else they wont be pushing daisies no more they will be seeing daylight  ::)

Again thanks the baptism was baffling me even after i went to visit!
Bolger [England And Ireland]
O'Donoghue [London and Ireland]
May [England]
Eves [England]
Larkin [England and Ireland]
Chiverton [England]
Blackwell [England]
Keogh [Ireland]
Hanson [England]
Fitzgerald [Ireland]
French [England]
Murphy [Ireland]
Dixon [Ireland]

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 10 December 09 21:38 GMT (UK) »
The number of people buried in a plot depends on several factors such as type of ground, date of last interment, etc. but the people listed on a headstone are not always buried in that particular plot. If the church has a burial register or other records it might help decide exactly who might be in the plot. Announcement in local newspaper might say where burial was to take place (or had taken place)- sometimes in memorium notices also help.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!