Author Topic: Watkin - Berriew, Tregynon  (Read 4984 times)

Offline keigcf

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Watkin - Berriew, Tregynon
« on: Wednesday 24 September 08 20:06 BST (UK) »
Off to the graveyard tomorrow in Berriew, I beleive my nans family are buried there. Edward Watkin (1856-1884) from Red House Tregynon who married Ann Hughes (1854 - 1918) They had 2 girls Annie Jane (1880)and Mary Emily (1882). Anybody related out there?

Offline keigcf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Watkin - Berriew, Tregynon
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 February 09 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Edwards mother was Anne Watkin 1823 from Llanbrynmair, and he had 2 sisters Mary and Anne and a brother Evan. Evan lived at 1 Cambrian Terrace in Newtown in 1891 with his mother who had remarried a William Conchie from Scotland. Still nobody related?

Offline ion

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 November 12 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
My ancestors Jonathan Hughes and Jane possibly Evans who married in 1842. They had 8 children. Jane died soon after the birth of her youngest child Elizabeth. Lizzie to my grandmother. I am descended from the eldest, Mary Hughes who married John Edwards in 1865. My grandmother kept in contact with the Hughes cousins including Gwenllyn E Rogers ( my grandmother's second cousin) who married Edward E Woolley and lived at St Botolphs Hereford Rd Leominster. Gwenllyn was the dau of William Rogers and Annie Jane Watkin (dau of Ed Watkin & Annie Hughes). I am interested in any records showing the death of Jane Hughes in 1860 in Berriew. I think it more likely she was born in 1825 not 1805 as I have seen on a Watkin family tree.
Ion
Lynar: Dublin/Wicklow
Fawcett: Dublin
Mills, Mills King: Dublin
Semple: Dublin
Exshaw: Dublin
Duggan: Dublin
Heatley: Bray
Sparks: Greenwich London
Merrick : London

Offline keigcf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 February 21 17:00 GMT (UK) »
I have a picture of Jane and Jonathans gravestones, in Berriew church. She died 26/5/1860,
You are talking of my Aunty Gwen, her sister was my grandmother

Offline ion

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 February 21 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I am related it seems. Thanks for your post. I would love to get details of the gravestones in the Berriew church. I have a photo of Gwen and Edward Woolley with my grandparents taken many decades ago when they visited their home in Leominster. My grandparents emigrated to Australia in the 1920's and kept in contact with many relatives back home. Another photo circa 1909 shows my grandmother aged around 12 with her siblings at a farm, possibly Felindre Farm near Berriew occupied by her grandfather John Edwards who married the eldest Hughes girl Mary in 1865.
Lynar: Dublin/Wicklow
Fawcett: Dublin
Mills, Mills King: Dublin
Semple: Dublin
Exshaw: Dublin
Duggan: Dublin
Heatley: Bray
Sparks: Greenwich London
Merrick : London

Offline Cerevisia33

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 February 24 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I'm not a family member, but I have a personal interest in Gwenllyn Eleri Woolley and would be very pleased to receive any further information.

Mrs Woolley provided piano tuition to me from the age of 7 to 16 at her home in Leominster from the late 1970's to late 80's. She was an inspiration person whom I've never forgotten to this day, as at the age of 55. I'm still playing and now completing a performance diploma! I lost contact with her after I left Herefordshire, but she was so encouraging and devoted to her teaching.

I remember her beautiful home with three grand pianos and meeting her husband, Edward as he grew shallots in the large garden they had.

If you have any photos of Mrs Woolley and happy to share them, along with any other information, I would be very grateful as I can't recall what she looked like now.

Many thanks