Author Topic: EDMUNDSON/EDMUNDSTON etc., Coleraine NI  (Read 5492 times)

Offline adamson342

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
EDMUNDSON/EDMUNDSTON etc., Coleraine NI
« on: Wednesday 24 September 08 20:58 BST (UK) »
Dear All,

I hope someone may be able to help.

Family legend holds that a branch of our family, called EDMUNDSON (or Edmundston, Edmondson etc.) were from Coleraine, Northern Ireland.

They were supposed to have moved to England, probably Lancaster, to work for Gillows as they were apparently CABINET MAKERS.

The only member of the family I have any details about is:

MARY JANE EDMUNDSTON
b. c. 1847, Ireland (Coleraine??)
Married Edward HUSTON, Butcher from Liverpool -- date and location of marriage unknown (Ireland?)

There was also a story about the grandfather of the family being killed in a house fire in Coleraine, possibly due to religious tensions.

Would anyone be able to have a look at any directories etc for me?

Many thanks and best wishes,
Samuel Adamson

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: EDMUNDSON/EDMUNDSTON etc., Coleraine NI
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 September 08 22:28 BST (UK) »
Found a bit for you from Coleraine Chronicle- not sure if they are all connected. Until recently Edmundsons were monumental sculptors in Coleraine. Might have more later.

8 Aug.1846: On the 1st. inst., at the home of her son, in Ballymena, in the 67th year of her age, Margaret, relict of the late Samuel Edmiston, cabinet maker, and eldest daughter of the late Mr. William Maphett, merchant, Belfast.

29 Dec.1855: At Killowen Parish Church, on the 24th instant, by the Rev. W.W. Stillito, Mr. William Edmiston, to Mary Jane Jackson, both of Coleraine.

1 Dec.1860: At New Row Presbyterian Church, Coleraine, on the 24th ult., by the Rev. J.A. Canning, Mr. John Edmundson, to Miss Susan Martin, both of Coleraine.

28 Sept.1861: At the Parish Church, Coleraine, on the 24th inst., by the Rev. Mr. Radcliffe, Mr. William J. Ellis, compositor, Chronicle Office, to Mary Elizabeth, only daughter of Mr. Benjamin Edmondson, both of Coleraine. [Note: St. Patrik's Parish Church]

15 Feb.1862: At Terrace Row Church, on the 14th inst., by the Rev. J. Macdonnell, Mr. William Edminston, Kilmaconnell, to Mary, daughter of Mr. Daniel Thompson, Whitehill. {Note: Terrace Row Presbyterian Church]

18 Apr.1863: At Killowen, Coleraine, on the 15th inst., James, son of Mr. John Edminston, aged 13 years.

25 July 1863: At Bell House Lane, Coleraine, on the 23rd inst., the wife of Mr. John Edmundson, of a son.

1 Oct.1864: At Stone Row, Coleraine, on the 26th ult., John, son of Mr. Robert Edminston, cabinetmaker, aged 5 yrs and 8 months.

18 Nov.1865: At Upper New Row, Coleraine, on the 17th instant, the wife of Mr. John Edmundson, of a son.

2 May 1868: At Lower Stone Row, Coleraine, on the 26th ult., the wife of Mr. John Edmundson, of a daughter.

26 Sept.1868: At Ferryquay Street, Coleraine, on the 24th inst., Betty, relict of the late Mr. Samuel Edmundson, at the advanced age of 103 years.

27 Feb.1869: At Stone Row, Coleraine, on the 19th inst., the wife of Mr. Robert Edmundson, of a son.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline adamson342

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 September 08 23:42 BST (UK) »
aghadowey,

That's great thanks -- lots to be thinking about.

If you have anything else that would be a really great help.

Best,
Sam

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 September 08 08:31 BST (UK) »
Have checked index to BMDs in Londonderry Sentinel (1829-1869) and nothing different there.

Offline adamson342

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 September 08 17:24 BST (UK) »
aghadowey,

Thanks for all your help. Any idea of other sources that could be consulted?

Are there any Coleraine directories online?

Best,
Sam

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 September 08 17:39 BST (UK) »
Can't see anything on PRONI Will extracts although you might want to have a look there yourself in case the surname is spelt differently.
www.proni.gov.uk

Only online directory with Coleraine in it that I know of is for 1910.