Author Topic: McCALLION.  (Read 53111 times)

Offline ferrfuzz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McCALLION.
« Reply #81 on: Thursday 11 September 14 05:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you. Seems to be only the migrants to Australia between 1834, and 1846 who migrated as McCallion or Callan and changed to Collins after 1843, or shortly after arrival. It's been interesting trying to find their connections prior to leaving Ireland. They are listed as from Fintona, Donacavey, Co-Tyrone, but being Catholic it has proven extremely difficult to find anything in Ireland prior to their departure.
McCallion (Donacavey Pre 1900's), Rachel Woods-1793-1841 Fintona, Anne Gorman B:1813+/-(Co-Tyrone) Ann Colgan B;1822 Fintona, Owen McCallion/Collins B:1814-unknown assumed dead 1854/55 (?) Collins, Heffernan, Bateman, McMullen, Coman, Tarlinton, Foley (post 1843 Australia)

Offline ferrfuzz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Thursday 11 September 14 05:44 BST (UK) »
I would really like to find anything on Owen who didn't migrate with the rest of the family, but his wife Anne/Annie Gorman migrated with children as Anne Callan shortly after Owens death circa 1854/55 and took the name Collins within a year of arrival. Annies father was a farmer Co-Tyrone, and it is believed Owen McCallion (Collins) was a farmer of the Lough Neagh region.
Owen was either the youngest brother of Patrick McCallion (B:1793 Fintona Co-Tyrone) or he was the eldest son of Patrick and Rachel Woods (B:1792 Co-Tyrone).
Of course have hit a snag, and it is looking that Owen may have been a second given name and not the name recorded for him ....
McCallion (Donacavey Pre 1900's), Rachel Woods-1793-1841 Fintona, Anne Gorman B:1813+/-(Co-Tyrone) Ann Colgan B;1822 Fintona, Owen McCallion/Collins B:1814-unknown assumed dead 1854/55 (?) Collins, Heffernan, Bateman, McMullen, Coman, Tarlinton, Foley (post 1843 Australia)

Offline DoireM

• RootsChat Senior
  • Spero In Deo
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Thursday 11 September 14 15:24 BST (UK) »
Have you posted your information on the Co. Tyrone Board of RootsChat?  If not it may be worth your while to do so, you never know someone may guide you to parish records for Fintona.

Good luck.
Crowley : Kilmaley Parish, Co. Clare / Cook County, Chicago, Illinois
Bradley: Iskaheen Parish, Co. Donegal, Ireland
McCallion:  Iskaheen Parish, Co. Donegal. Ireland
Margey/Margay:  Iskaheen Parish, Co. Donegal, Ireland
Donnellan / Donlan:  Carhunagry, Co. Clare
Sullivan: Clare / Cook County, Chicago, Illinois
James:  Derry/ Donegal / Wales.
Haren / Harhen:  Co. Clare, Ireland
Murphy: Kinturk, Kilmaley, Co. Clare.
Friel:  Aught, Ture. Iskaheen Parish, Co. Donegal.
Cassidy:  Limavady, Co. Derry.

Offline ferrfuzz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Friday 12 September 14 11:08 BST (UK) »
I will do that. Just finding my way around this forum (I've avoided forums in general, but have discovered with the genealogy that forums are worth the effort, so I am really a learner driver as far as forum use goes)
Unfortunately the Donacavey Parish records that would give us the best information were mostly destroyed by fire, and there were none of relevance in the few records that did survive the fire. Late 1970's and early 1980's a group of relatives from another branch of the family tree had one of the current at the time Rev.s attempt to discover if any records had been personally kept by church members, and look through the surviving records to no avail at all.

Offline Bald Eagle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Monday 27 October 14 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marie and Steve
                           The Australian information has allways been a puzzle to me. What has me puzzled about it is the so called naming convention. My father stuck to this to the letter as did my grandfather McCallion and it would appear other familys at that time. With this in mind why did my ggrandfather call his son James? If the information we have put together is correct Mary Ruddy McCallions father was Denis Ruddy and if the Australian information is correct then Denis McCallion father was also Denis then why call their son James. I do realise that the naming convetion is cannot be relied on 100% but I just wonder

Offline DoireM

• RootsChat Senior
  • Spero In Deo
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Monday 27 October 14 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Patrick and Steve.

Patrick has your brother James only one Christian name?  Would it be Dennis James and he got James, just a thought.

Offline Bald Eagle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Monday 27 October 14 23:03 GMT (UK) »
As far as I know he is James Patrick but will check. I don't understand my parents use of middle names i.e my brothers William was William Charles, Denis was Denis Anthony don't know about the others.

Offline Freya Ellingsen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We build our pedigrees based on the proofs we find
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Patrick

Ah, this clarifies a lot for me.  I see that Mary Dever and Hugh Dever are buried in the same plot at Holy Cross cemetery in Colma. 

If Mary Dever and Ann Campbell were first cousins, then their fathers Denis (b. 1833) and Michael (born about the same time) would have to be brothers and have the same father. 

I got the impression that Michael's father was James McCallion (b. ~1799) but that now seems unlikely since the only James McCallion in Tithe Applotment 1837  & Griffiths 1851 lived in Iskaheen, not Three Trees.  There is also a question whether Denis' father was Denis (b. ~1800).

In the Tithe Applotment 1837, there are the following entries for Three Trees:
   Denis McCallion
   Denis McCallion
   Hugh McCallion
   William McCallion
This seems to suggest that there were two Denis McCallions (not sure if this is true).  At any rate all were presumably born in the early 1800's and any of them could have been fathers of Denis and Michael (except Hugh probably).

We know that Hugh was from Gortnamona and Marie & Dennis Reilly are in his line.  It seems possible that there is some confusion between the Denis who married Mary Sweeney and was the father of Bridget McAllen and the other Denis who may have been the father of Denis & maybe Michael.  There's also William Campbell who I don't have any information about.

What do you think?

Steve C.

I'm interested in Dennis Reilly can u tell me more ???

Thanks,

Fran
Brooker, Creagh Curran, Ellingsen, Evans, Hatton, Ryan, Slade, Campbell, Flett

Offline DoireM

• RootsChat Senior
  • Spero In Deo
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fran,

Dennis Reilly and I are related.  My great grandfather Michael McCallion and Dennis' great grandfather Denis McCallion are brothers, both form in Gortnamonagh, Three Trees.

Marie