Author Topic: Cassells/Seaman family  (Read 1641 times)

Offline goof

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Cassells/Seaman family
« on: Friday 26 September 08 10:26 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me find my maternal great-grandmother Mary Ann Cassells, born in Limerick,  Southern Ireland in 1855. I am unable to find her name in Limerick parish records.
By the time of the 1881 English census she was listed as wife of David Seaman, living at
Clacton Rd., St.Osyth, Essex. They had a daughter Eliza Ann (my grandmother) born when Mary Ann was age 22, in Gislingham, Suffolk in 1877, and 3 other children born in St.Osyth.
Mary Ann died at Brook Street farm, Great Clacton in 1909 aged 65.
I cannot trace her birth or marriage. I am told by a genealogist in Limerick that Cassells is an English name, and she suggested her father may have emigrated to Ireland, returning home to Suffolk later, where Mary Ann met David in Gislingham where he was born.
Thank you.
Geoff. Charge
Charge, Gray, McCorry. Essex,Suffolk, Ireland (Armagh)

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
Re: Cassells/Seaman family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 September 08 20:22 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome to Rootschat.

On the following site, there is a marriage of a  David Seaman and Mary Ann Cassells in Limerick in 1872. Whether to each other, I don't know. I am afraid you have to buy credits to access the details of the records.

http://limerick.brsgenealogy.com/

:D :D
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline goof

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 September 08 11:05 BST (UK) »
Hullo Sue,
Many thanks for your reply. With great excitement I have registered with the site and printed off the marriage certificate. It is definitely my ancestors marriage as the name of David Seaman's father is correct.
Also of interest is the fact that he was a soldier at the time, and I now have Mary's second name spelt with an e on the end, also her address and fathers' name.
I am indebted to you as this successfully completes nearly 9 months of internet research.
RootsChat looks like a very good site, I will return often with more requests when I get stuck.
Thanks once again.
Kind regards from
Geoff.Charge

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 September 08 16:16 BST (UK) »
Absolutely brilliant.  ;D ;D

Good luck with your future research.

:D :D
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sunnyhill

• RootsChat Member
  • From Dunmurry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 November 22 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Geoff, do you have proof that Mary Ann Cassells mother was Catherine McCorry born 1837 from Analoist in County Armagh? That's where my family are from - would be good to know if we have a link to her husband John Cassells.

Thank you
David

Can anyone help me find my maternal great-grandmother Mary Ann Cassells, born in Limerick,  Southern Ireland in 1855. I am unable to find her name in Limerick parish records.
By the time of the 1881 English census she was listed as wife of David Seaman, living at
Clacton Rd., St.Osyth, Essex. They had a daughter Eliza Ann (my grandmother) born when Mary Ann was age 22, in Gislingham, Suffolk in 1877, and 3 other children born in St.Osyth.
Mary Ann died at Brook Street farm, Great Clacton in 1909 aged 65.
I cannot trace her birth or marriage. I am told by a genealogist in Limerick that Cassells is an English name, and she suggested her father may have emigrated to Ireland, returning home to Suffolk later, where Mary Ann met David in Gislingham where he was born.
Thank you.
Geoff. Charge
Co. Armagh: Castles/Cassells, Turkington, McBride, Hanna, Boston, Abraham, Geddis, Gilkinson, Humphries, McCormick, Corner, Serplus
Co. Antrim: Cassells, Hayes, Campbell, Saulters, Abernethy, Crooks, Fryer, Stead, Cooper, Gardner, Montgomery, Hill, McCartney, McKeown, Sterrit, McIntyre, Orr
Co. Down: Hayes, Campbell, Nelson, Skelly, Pickering, Dixon, Taylor, Lowry, Gourley, Stewart
Co. Mayo: Layng, Fulton, Ruxton
Co. Kerry: Nash
Co. Dublin: Ruxton, Layng, Kelly, Wilson, Shea, Askin
Galway: Abbot

Offline goof

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 November 22 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi David - I believe her parents were Catherine McCorry and John Cassells.
Catherine was born in 1837 in Analoist,Shankill, County Armagh gave birth  aged 18 to Mary in 1855, married aged 30 in 1867, died aged 72 in Oct/Dec.1909 in Lurgan, County Armagh. They were listed as Roman Catholics.
(Authority:- Ireland Civil Registration Indexes, 1845 - 1958, entry Lurgan,Oct/Dec., vol.1, p 510.
of which I have a copy)

As birth certificates were not compulsory until 1864 it is difficult to be certain I have the right person.

Hope this is of some use to you.

Kind regards from
Geoff.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 November 22 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi David - I believe her parents were Catherine McCorry and John Cassells.
Catherine was born in 1837 in Analoist,Shankill, County Armagh gave birth  aged 18 to Mary in 1855, married aged 30 in 1867, died aged 72 in Oct/Dec.1909 in Lurgan, County Armagh. They were listed as Roman Catholics.

This doesn't make sense.  There are two marriages in 1867 for a Catherine McCORRY, one in Lurgan to William MURRAY, she is aged 25, and one in Belfast to John McCULLOCH, she is aged 21.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1867/11510/8233072.pdf

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1867/11482/8220468.pdf

The death in 1909 is for a Catherine MCCORRY, widow.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1909/05447/4524147.pdf

Debra  :)

Offline goof

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 November 22 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your reply.
I only dip into research now and again, and each
time it's a learning curve.
I am always confused as to whether the search should be by maiden
name or married name.
Can you recommend a professional researcher?
Thank you.
Geoff.