Author Topic: Immigration Lookup - TIVEY  (Read 1324 times)

Offline Cazay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Immigration Lookup - TIVEY
« on: Saturday 27 September 08 01:11 BST (UK) »
Would someone be able to look up the Canadian Passenger Lists 1865-1935 on Ancestry for a Charlette Tivey who is located on the index.  I am wanting to know the details to see if she is the one I am looking for.

Also, an Albert Tivey is also there.  Not sure if he is connected but would appreciate his details as well.

Much appreciated

Cazay
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Essex; Livermore, Barker  Norfolk; Wood, Lack, Spurgeon, Long Wiltshire; Ricketts, Sealey, Dew  Lincs; Drage  Cumberland; McNicol, Bowman  Lancashire; Brogden, Davis

Offline Helena98

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Immigration Lookup - TIVEY
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 September 08 01:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Cazay -

Date of arrival: 14 May 1888
Vessel: Buenos Ayrean 
Port of arrival: Quebec, Quebec 
Port of departure: London, England 

assisted } Charlotte Tivey, domestic [age is not clear could be 20 or 70], Newcastle [Durham or Dunham?], Grand Trunk

date of arrival: 19 May 1921
Vessel: Empress of France 
Port of arrival: Quebec 
Port of departure: Liverpool, England 

Albert Tivey, 51, widower, place of birth: England, destination: Comox, B.C., baker, visiting

Helena
McCluskey - Derry Co, Ireland
Mulherin - Derry Co, Ireland
Watson - Barrowden, Rutland County, England
Long - Ireland
Curless/Corless/Curliss/Corliss - Tyrone Co, Ireland

Offline Elizabeth Revel

• My email address is not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 September 08 01:52 BST (UK) »
Charlette Tivey came to Newcastle, Durham, as a 20 year old on the "Buenos Ayrean" which sailed between London and Quebec and arrived 14 May 1888. She was a Domestic and travelled to her ultimate destination via the Grand Trunk Railway. She travelled on an assisted passage.

Albert, age 51, sailed from Liverpool to Quebec aboard "The Empress of France"arriving 19 May, 1921. He was coming for a month to visit his brother in law at Comox, BC. He had never been to Canada previously. He was a widowed baker.

Beth
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lancashire and Cheshire: Harding, Turner, Gandy, Rigby, Bancroft, Moorcroft, Wright
Wiltshire: Webb, Hayter, Mussell, Curtice, Sheppard
Hampshire: Harper, Rawlings
Ireland: Revels, Qua, Alexander, Clegg
Bucks, Northants, Derby, Leicester and Cheshire: Spokes, Glover, Sturgess, Attewell, Whiting, Lester, Hall

Offline jfremont

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 September 08 02:02 BST (UK) »
I found the two records that the two previous posters have put up so deleted the details.

I don't know whether this is a coincidence or not but I looked up and found a death record for a Mary Ball (nee Tivey) who immigrated with her husband Aaron to Comox, B.C. This was for another poster on this forum a few weeks ago.. or maybe it is for the same person with a different user name? Maybe Albert Tivey was visiting his sister since Comox was just a small village in those days.

John

Offline Cazay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 September 08 02:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone for your quick replies  :)

I think I can rule out Albert Tivey, he doesn't seem to be a connection as far as I know.

The Charlotte Tivey I am looking for was born about 1869 in England so the age is about right and she married in Toronto in 1889.

If she was an assisted immigrant from London to Quebec and then travelled to her destination would Toronto seem like a likely place.  Sorry do not have much knowledge of Canadian research.

Appreciate all your findings

Cazay

Essex; Livermore, Barker  Norfolk; Wood, Lack, Spurgeon, Long Wiltshire; Ricketts, Sealey, Dew  Lincs; Drage  Cumberland; McNicol, Bowman  Lancashire; Brogden, Davis

Offline Elizabeth Revel

• My email address is not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 September 08 09:53 BST (UK) »

Looking at Durham County and Toronto on Google maps it seems that they are about 60 km apart. Charlette could have worked for her first employer and then found another position in Toronto in the time between landing and marriage.

There was a family of Tiveys in Peterborough, Ontario who had daughters who married in the same time period.

Beth
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lancashire and Cheshire: Harding, Turner, Gandy, Rigby, Bancroft, Moorcroft, Wright
Wiltshire: Webb, Hayter, Mussell, Curtice, Sheppard
Hampshire: Harper, Rawlings
Ireland: Revels, Qua, Alexander, Clegg
Bucks, Northants, Derby, Leicester and Cheshire: Spokes, Glover, Sturgess, Attewell, Whiting, Lester, Hall

Offline Cazay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 September 08 14:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Beth..........I think it is looking more likely that it is Charlotte.  Have no idea if she had other family in Canada or not, her parents were Charles Tivey born 1840 Hertfordshire England and Mary unknown.

Charles disappeared after a couple of census years and hasn't been found.

Cazay