Author Topic: marriage in st thomas', dudley  (Read 4530 times)

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
marriage in st thomas', dudley
« on: Saturday 27 September 08 16:04 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have a seriously elusive gggg grandad here and I am trying to find out his name through his daughters marriage as it seems to be my only hope.

His daughter is Deborah Petty and she married a man called William Hughes - however the marriage was in 1834 - 26th jan 1834 in St Thomas's Dudley....and Im in the north of Scotland! So I wondered if anyone in the area would be kind enough to look in the parish registers if they are visiting St Thomas's in Dudley. I found the marriage on IGI as I remember.

Its maybe clutching at straws but I would be looking for a father's name or at least the witnesses names...and indeed anything else noteworthy about the entry.
I would be most grateful if someone took the time to do this as every other avenue has turned out to be a dead end...

Many thanks
Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline RobPhill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: marriage in st thomas', dudley
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 September 08 17:57 BST (UK) »
Hi, Alison,
I have found Mary Petty in 1851 census as a pauper (midwife), b. about 1777, living with Deborah & William Hughes.
The  interesting find was a WILIAM PETTY, aged 76, private of Light Horse, living in the Royal Hospital For Invalid Soldiers i.e. a Chelsea Pensioner. He was born in Highworth,Worcs. Could that be him? He is classed as a widower but they may just have separated and he used this to be admitted to the hospital
RobPhill

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 September 08 19:52 BST (UK) »
oooh very good find! Well done! Yes it well possibly be him...
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline RobPhill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 September 08 09:54 BST (UK) »
Hi, again, Alison,
Here is a possible, found on IGI:

William Petty married Mary Lancet 1796 at Broadway, Worcs.

Also, following on:  William Petty,c. 10 Oct. 1797 at Broadway.

Hope that is of help.
Regards,
RobPhill.

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 September 08 11:01 BST (UK) »
hi thanks very much - yes it does look possible

what was this bit:
Also, following on:  William Petty,c. 10 Oct. 1797 at Broadway?

Thing is cos i dont have a baptism for the daughter...and i cant find any siblings...it makes it impossible to prove whether this is the correct marriage for her parents.

Any ideas?
Alison

Offline RobPhill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 September 08 11:45 BST (UK) »
Hi, Alison,
The other William Petty was obviously a son born of William & Mary.
It may be that, if William was in the army, they could have moved around England or the world. It may pay you to do a wider search and possibly look at births in, perhaps India or other British colonies. I will continue to search for you - let you know if I find any details.
Rob.

Offline RobPhill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 October 08 20:42 BST (UK) »
Hi, Alison,
I managed to go to the Worcester Records Office whilst I was on holiday in Broadway last week. I managed to find Deborah Petty's marriage record. Did not give much more info. but here it all is:

Parish Register No. 652, 26th Jan. 1834

DEBORAH PETTY, spinster,  married WILIIAM HUGHES of this parish on 26th Jan. 1834 at St. Thomas's, Dudley by L. Booker, Vicar.
Both made their mark.
Witnesses were: BENJAMIN BRICH & ANN ONIONS

That was the total recorded. Sorry I couldn't be of more help!!
RobPhill

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 20:56 BST (UK) »
ooh thanks very much - i think the name onions may be of significance - its ringing some bells

Alison