Author Topic: David Arnold from North Wales to Canada  (Read 2608 times)

Offline titch

• RootsChat Member
  • member of both Gwynedd and Clwyd Family History
    • View Profile
David Arnold from North Wales to Canada
« on: Sunday 30 January 05 16:36 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for my grandmother's brother David Arnold b 1883 in Llanrwst, Denbighshire, North Wales who emigrated to Canada sometime between 1901 (where he is home on census) and 1914. He sent one letter home and was never heard of again. Any suggestions please where I might start looking?  His parents were Thomas and Emma (nee Williams) Arnold.  Any help would be much appreciated.
Titch
Williams, Roberts, Jones, in Merioneth,  Flintsshire, Denbigh and Caernarfonshire, Hughes in Caernarfonshire and Liverpool , Arnold, Mongomeryshire, Caernarfon and Denbighshire
Higgins in Kent/Essex

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
Re: David Arnold from North Wales to Canada
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 April 05 03:58 BST (UK) »
Titch,

What part of Canada was he living in when he wrote that letter home?

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline titch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 April 05 11:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Joosephine. I do not have a clue where he was when he wrote the letter, my grandmother only ever said Canada! She died in the early 70's, before my interest in family history developed. This is why I am having such difficulty finding him. I am working on the presumption that he would have sailed from Liverpool. It is scant information to build on.
titch
Williams, Roberts, Jones, in Merioneth,  Flintsshire, Denbigh and Caernarfonshire, Hughes in Caernarfonshire and Liverpool , Arnold, Mongomeryshire, Caernarfon and Denbighshire
Higgins in Kent/Essex

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 April 05 22:02 BST (UK) »
titch,

It is tough to find information.  I wish the Canadian government would release post-1901 census records!  (Okay, they threw us a bone and released the 1906 census of the prairie provinces...)

The Canada GenWeb site has links to each province's site:
http://www.rootsweb.com/~canwgw/html/e-index.html

It depends not only on the province but also on the county and how active and generous the amateur genealogists are in each area.  For example, for online resources, you'd be in luck if he ended up in Charlotte County, New Brunswick, but not as lucky if he went to Saint John, New Brunswick.

It might also be a good idea to check the 1910 and later U.S. census records in case he moved there. 

Another idea would be to search on "Arnold DAVID" in case his name was recorded backwards.

Good luck!
Josephine
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline titch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 April 05 22:11 BST (UK) »
 :) Hello Josephine,
Thankyou  again for your help. My David was here on the 1901 census but came over before the outbreak of the first world war.
Thanks for the tip of looking for Arnold David.
I think i shall be bald before i finish!!
Cheers
titch
Higgins in Kent/Essex

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 April 05 00:45 BST (UK) »
You're welcome, titch!

My only other thoughts would be to:

1.  Check your great-grandparents' obits and wills in case they mention their son and his "last known address".

2.  Get a copy of his birth and/or baptismal record in case he might have gone by his middle name.

Regards,
Josephine

Offline titch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 April 05 12:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Josephine!

If only it were that simple!  My grandmother and her siblings lost their mother when they were children, their father married their mother's sister and then died!!  So they had been dead many years before he emigrated.  I thought 'Arnold' would be the easy side of my family compared to Roberts, Jones and Williams. How wrong can one be!

Cheers
Patricia
Higgins in Kent/Essex

Online J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 August 10 21:58 BST (UK) »
There is now some information available for you...a Death date Nov 8 1918 Hazelton, British Columbia, Canada
David Arnold Age 35 y 7m 19d  b.Wales
Parents: Thomas Arnold & Emma Williams
Film# 1927141 Digital Folder# 4437642
Image# 2544  BCAF# B13113  Reg# 68821
British Columbia Death Registrations  http://search.labs.familysearch.org
Cause of death is not on here, but if you want a lookup, I can ask a B.C. rootschatter to join the thread, & see if they can find more info on the death cert. ( Note to all:  this is an old request and may no longer be active, so wait for a reply before doing a lookup)
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com