Author Topic: WILLIAMS/KNIGHT Marriage Yealmpton, Devon  (Read 1287 times)

Offline cornish maid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WILLIAMS/KNIGHT Marriage Yealmpton, Devon
« on: Sunday 28 September 08 14:35 BST (UK) »
Hi  :)
I am looking for a marriage of a John Williams to a Rebecca Knight, possibly in Yealmpton/Plymouth, Devon. (John Williams' parents I believe were Garland Williams and Elizabeth.)  The couple lived in St Ives, Cornwall, and their first known child Richard was born in 1819 in St Ives.  The last child of this couple was Nancy, who was born in 1843.  Nancy's baptism was to John Williams and Rebecca (nee Knight). 

I cannot find a marriage for this couple anywhere in Cornwall, so am hoping they married in Rebecca's home town instead.  In 1841 she was listed as being born in Yealmpton, Devon; the 1861 census says she was born in Plymouth, Devon.  Rebecca was born c. 1797.

Any help on this long-time brick wall would be greatly appreciated  :)

Offline jannergray

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: WILLIAMS/KNIGHT Marriage Yealmpton, Devon
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 September 08 20:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Cornish Maid

I saw your posting and it sparked a bell off in my head as I know that both surnames, WILLIAMS and KNIGHT occur in Plymstock Parish which neighbours onto Yealmpton.

I have searched for a Baptism for Rebecca KNIGHT, c1797 at Plymstock with no result. I know that there were definitely members of the KNIGHT Family locally, and they were mariners - see:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=028-242&cid=8-2-13-14#8-2-13-14

Its definitely worth checking the Parish Registers for Yealmpton or even Brixton.

Graham

Offline raa

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • humbug
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 September 08 09:52 BST (UK) »
hi any relation of ann williams knight born 1836 liskeard married thomas richard callard longshot i know          raa

Offline cornish maid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 September 08 09:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for your replies  :).  I emailed the Plymouth Record Office and they hold the Parish Records for Yealmpton, Plymouth, and surrounding areas.  Unfortunately they don't do look-ups, so I will need to take a trip up there in the future to see if I can find anything.

Thank you for the link Graham, I will investigate further.  Unfortunately raa, because I know so little about Rebecca Knight, I have no idea who she may be related to  :(.  If I find anything which might indicate a connection to Ann Williams Knight I'll certainly let you know  :)