Author Topic: Where is your 'ancestral home'  (Read 6298 times)

damnonii

Re: Where is your 'ancestral home'
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 30 September 08 23:04 BST (UK) »
I'm lucky enough from a genealogical point of view to have quite a distinct surname which I always knew originated in Donegal.  When we travelled around Ireland about 7 years ago now, I hadn't started any research but knew I had links in Cork and Donegal.  Although we spent a week in Cork, Donegal was where I felt most at home and I still have fairly vivid memories of the towns we went through and even the peat reek in the air at night.  My name is quite rare in Scotland and it was a very strange feeling travelling through Letterkenny and seeing our name above Newsagents, Butcher's Shops, Solicitors and even the local car garage.  Sadly I now know that we passed the town where my 4x g-grandparents and their son came from by just a few miles.  One day I'll go back there and visit properly. 

In saying that though, I recently visited the area North of Biggar in Scotland where a branch of my mother's family is from and felt really at home there, particularly in Ellsrickle and Walston kirkyard.  I found it very peaceful and incredibly beautiful which  is unusual for me as normally I'm a mountains and seascapes sort of girl, not rolling countryside.   

Really I have to say that I have ancestral homes across the central belt of Scotland, in the Borders and in Aberdeen; in Shropshire in England; in Cork, Donegal and other unidentified places in Ireland, and to say I have just one would be to ignore the majority of people who've got me here including the whole of my mother's family lol.  Plus it won't stop me feeling a pang of belonging to Glasgow, where I was born and live now, even though in historical terms my family have only came here relatively recently. 

Lora.

Offline Pegasuss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 01 October 08 06:09 BST (UK) »
Lora.

I Know that somewhere I have some Scots Roots! (ever since I can remember I get a Warm Fealing & the Hackles on My Neck Stand Up whenever I Hear 'The Pipes'). ;) ;D ;D ;D
Hertzberger, Highton, Walker, Eaton, Webster, Brown, Wright, Speed, Dodd, Holland, Melling, Murphy, Edwards, Bennett, Collins, Critchley, Duffy, Owens, Morgan & Humphreys

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mogsmum

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 01 October 08 09:47 BST (UK) »
Even before I started looking at our family, I always fancied marrying a farmer so I guess (with the benefit of hindsight) I shouldn't have been surprised to find as many Ag.Labs as I have!   In the event, no farmer came along so I married a civil servant, but .... we honeymooned in Wiltshire from where, years later, I learned all my husband's relatives hailed.

damnonii

« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 01 October 08 10:24 BST (UK) »
Lora.

I Know that somewhere I have some Scots Roots! (ever since I can remember I get a Warm Fealing & the Hackles on My Neck Stand Up whenever I Hear 'The Pipes'). ;) ;D ;D ;D

Actually that's funny I've never been much affected by the bagpipes (maybe I was scarred by the experience of having a full pipe band go past in a very narrow street when I was about 6!)  but my hackles go up when I hear the smaller pipes, I think they're known as Border/Lowland pipes or Irish pipes.  As it turns out I don't have that much clan ancestry, but I do have a lot of Lowland and Irish blood. 

Lora

Offline sallysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
  • sally and her mum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 01 October 08 10:33 BST (UK) »
Lots of very interesting stories here.  I was born in Manchester which I love and brought up in Cheshire which I consider to be home.  Neither of which are the 'ancestral home' - my main lines hearld from Northumberland. 

Several years ago I went diving in Pembrokeshire - I found it to be one of the most beautiful sites I have dived in the British Isles and indeed in the world.  Imagine my delight when I found my gt grandmother hailed from Pembroke and indeed her father was a mariner there - sent shivers down my spine to realise that I dived the same seas he worked.

sallysmum
Pearson Newcastle/Allendale<br />Sparke Allendale<br />Rees, Davies Pembrokeshire<br />Spence Leyburn<br />Foster Armley to battle creek USA<br />Leeming N Yorkshire<br />Stewart or Stuart Gateshead
Scott Leyburn
Roantree Leyburn

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 01 October 08 13:24 BST (UK) »
I have just managed to trace one of my lines back to 1507, and it moves my earliest ancestral home about 1000 yards from my current home in Brighton!

A couple of yards a year isn't bad going really, is it?

Maybe by the 26th century, we'll by out of County!  ;D

Glen

;D ;D ;D

my fathers family orignated from Cornwall (father) and Leicester (mother)
we have always holidayed in COrnwall so this feels mildly like home
but my mothers family (mother) comes from Sussex about 45 mins drive away from where i live now so mine were a bit faster than yours Glen

my grandfather comes form the Ukraine right near the border to Poland i have just discoverd although he told me little Kiyv by the river - i have never been but it would be good to go.

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline kizmiaz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 01 October 08 13:57 BST (UK) »
Funnily enough, I felt more "at home" living in Kiev (as it was called at the time. Didn't get it's Ukrainian spelling till several years later!) than I have ever felt in Brighton.

It's what actually started me on my genealogical "quest", to find the missing Russian ancestor, who now almost certainly doesn't exist

Odd how these things go!  ;D

Glen

Offline 0rinoco

• RootsChat Senior
  • ggg Uncle John Artus (seated)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 02 October 08 05:21 BST (UK) »
Like others on here, I always imagined that my ancestors had always lived in Lancashire. However, when I was about 18 I was told that we were originally from Gloucestershire. When I retired, I decided to follow this up and discovered the reason for my being born in Manchester. My great-great-grandfather had enlisted in the 7th Hussars in 1846 and then deserted. It's a long story, but, briefly, he finished up hiding in the slums of Ancoats. His father, by the way, had been imprisoned for cattle theft.  :-[
Artus, anywhere UK
Gabb, Glos.
Wathern, Glos.
Littleton, Glos.

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 02 October 08 08:34 BST (UK) »
Funnily enough, I felt more "at home" living in Kiev (as it was called at the time. Didn't get it's Ukrainian spelling till several years later!) than I have ever felt in Brighton.

I've often felt more at home in the Canary Islands (where I have no family connections, as far as I'm aware) than in the UK.

I suspect the sun, sea and relaxed conditions may have had something to do with that  ;D
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk