Author Topic: Census request - William Taylor  (Read 3650 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Census request - William Taylor
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 30 September 08 14:40 BST (UK) »
This is the closest I can see for William in 1841:

Isabella Innes    33, agr. lab.
Elizabeth Innes 30, lodger
Matilda Innes    4
Charles Elennie 21, cripple
William Stewart 4

Address: Bridgend M, Inveravon

Monica

Added:  :P :P :P see I'm off down the Stewart line of research again....All the William Taylors in 1841, none show in Inveravon.
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 30 September 08 14:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you Monica for attempting to solve this puzzle. I don't know how many hours I've spent on it. ::) However, William's parents were given as Alexander Taylor, sawyer, and Isabella McLean. I'm considering William and James being cousins (or more distant relatives), but how to prove it! ;D

hume24

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 10 October 08 16:16 BST (UK) »
This is the closest I can see for William in 1841:
Isabella Innes    33, agr. lab.
Elizabeth Innes 30, lodger
Matilda Innes    4
Charles Elennie 21, cripple
William Stewart 4

Hmmm. I've come across this household before. Charles is actually Charles Glennie, and he is the son of Isabella Innes. By 1851 Isabella was 45 and Charles was 23, so the ages in 1841 are inconsistent with the ages in 1851. In 1881 Isabella was 77 and Charles was 55. She died in 1881 and he died in 1884.

Not that ite helps with William Stewart, except that if his other name was Taylor, why was he living with the Innes family? Isabella and Elizabeth were the daughters of John Innes and Elspet Innes.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 11 October 08 23:59 BST (UK) »
Think there's some confusion arisen here. I am now positive this William Taylor is not the brother of my 3x great-grandfather. Although born in the same place around the same years, he gives completely different parents on his marriage cert. to Margaret Shaw. I don't know if my ancestor had any brothers/sisters - was only trying to climb the tree through another branch. ;)

As for the 1841 census entry posted by Monica, I have not researched who William [Stewart]'s parents were and, unfortunately, likely won't.

Thanks for your reply, Forfarian. Much appreciated.

hume24