Author Topic: Ancestry John Jones & Jane Foulkes from Denbighshire  (Read 6876 times)

Offline Cajondy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ancestry John Jones & Jane Foulkes from Denbighshire
« on: Monday 29 September 08 02:04 BST (UK) »
Hello there
this is my first time on here - so please forgive any "novice" errors!

I've been searching for my Grandparents - John and Jane (nee Foulkes) Jones and any ancestral information anyone reding this can provide is hugely appreciated

So far - from family members and census records I've managed to gather a little information, but have now reached a brick wall and would appreciate any assistance anyone can give.

John Jones and Jane Foulkes were married in 1901 in Llanynys - thier father names being John Jones and Evan Foulkes respectively.

I beleive shortly after thier marriage they moved to Bangor and went on to have a typically large family (for those days!), however it's pre thier marriage details I seem to be strguggling hard with

I know John and Jane were buried in Llanhaiadr, and beleive John's parent John and Ann (don't know her maiden name) were also buried there - along with some of their children in later days

I beleive Evan Foulkes and his wife Ellen may also have been buried in Llanhaiadr, though I have nothing to support this at present. Their last known address was Pent y Foel, Llanhaiadr in 1901 census - they had lived here for at least 20 years as far as I can ascertain.

I have Evan's parents as being John and Sarah (don't know her maiden name) - and I beleive John built Groes chapel (sometime between 1817 - 1897).

I have recently been passed some photos of gravestones for some of the Foulkes family - unfortunately, the photos I have of the headstones were passed on to me by a relative who has since passed away and I don't know which church yard it would be. All I can tell you about the graveyard is there is a building along one boundry which appears to have what looks like a red galvenised roof and there's a stone built building adjacent to it (does this sound familiar to anyone?). The headstones I have photos of are:

John & Sarah Foulkes - both appear to have passed away 1897 (sadly I don't read Welsh, and the image on the photos isn't 100% clear)

Next to thier headstone is: Jane & Myfanwy Foulkes (whilst facing these two headstones you will clearly see the red roof behind)

There is another headstone, but I'm not sure if it's the same location as there's no red roof behind! This is of John, Evan and Ellen Foulkes - there may also be another name on the bottom, but it's not very clear to read. It looks like these were all during 1920s - again, really hard to read.

Now on to the Jones side:
The churchyard both my grt grand parents and grt grt grandparents are buried is immediately across the road from a pub called Kings Head in Llanrhaiadr (they are buried in the old burial area), with my grt uncle Albert being buried in the new burial area immediately behind to the left and my Grt uncle Howel being buried in the area immediately to the front, left hand side of the church - as you face the church.

On the Jones side I have a photo of a headstone / grave for John and Ann Jones - these I beleive are the parents of John Jones (so are therefore my grt grt grandparents). The reading on the headstone reads: "In loving memory of Ann Jones she who died April 5 1929 78 years old "The world of those pure of heart for they who seek God" also John Jones husband of above passed away July 17 1942". Their grave is slightly raised surround with a tall headstone (raised to a central point at the top rather than flat) - two tone colour, with what looks like a grey marble inset. IT looks to be towards the middle / rear part of the old burial area - perhaps lishgtly to the left hand side.

I beleive two of their grandsons are also buried there: Albert Edward Jones 9/3/1915 - 22/12/1990 & Howell Idris Jones 1920 - 1981

My grt grandparents (John & Jane) are also buried in the same location the reading on their headstone being: "In loving memory of John Jones loving husband of Jane Jones who passed asay December 16 1932 59 years old also Jane as named above who passed away March 3 1962 84 years old rest in heavenly peace".  Their grave is of a rdish marble type effect - the headstone looking to be approx knee height. As you face thier grave you can see the top of thier parent's grave behind to the left hand side (perhaps two or three rows away)

If anyone can provide me any additional information of where these church yards are, or the inscriptions on the headstones I'd be really grateful. I then need to do some work to trace back further, and may ask for further assistance

You can imagine, with a name like John Jones - it's not been an easy task so far!

Thanks for any help anyone can give
kind regards
Cajondy
Jones - Llangernieuw,llanynys, llanrhaiadr, bangor
Foulkes - Nantglyn, Llanrhaiadr
Williams - Anglesey, Bangor
Hussey Burgh - unknown
Eames - Poss Ireland, Pwllheli, Bangor
Bateman - Westmorland
Dobson - Westmorland
Capstick - Westmorland
Dacre - Cumberland
Gainford - Cumberland
Shackley - Cumberland
Diamond - Cumberland
Harrington - Cumberland
Russell - Cumberland

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry John Jones & Jane Foulkes from Denbighshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 September 08 03:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Cajondy

Welcome to rootschat :)

I found these deaths on Freebmd

Evan FOULKES, age 72, Mar Qrtr 1927 St. Asaph, vol 11b, page 501
Ellen FOULKES, age 71, Jun Qrtr 1929 St Asaph, vol 11b, page 387

also a possible marriage for

Evan FOULKES & an Ellen LLOYD,  Mar Qrtr 1875, St. Asaph, vol 11b, page 649

Do you have Evan & Ellen on the censuses?

Heather

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cajondy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 September 08 03:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather
thanks for the speedy reply

I've searched the census but I fear may have got more confused than before.... The only Evan / Ellen I can find are 9 years age difference to each other - perhaps I've been looking in the wrong placeand

I have a copy of the marriage certificate you detailed below - thank you - and that suggests 6 years age difference between them, then to compound matters even more (as if that wasn't all bad enough!) I have a copy of their daughter Jane's birth certificate (she's my grt grandmother who married John Jones) and it shows her father as being Evan Foulkes and mother as being Ellen (or Ellin - hard to read) as being nee Edwards! The marriage certificate I have shows Ellen as being Lloyd

Not easy this ancestral research - is it!

ANy help you can provide gratefully received - and thanks again
regards
Cajondy
Hussey Burgh - unknown
Bateman - Westmorland
Dobson - Westmorland
Capstick - Westmorland
Dacre - Cumberland
Gainford - Cumberland
Shackley - Cumberland
Diamond - Cumberland
Harrington - Cumberland
Russell - Cumberland

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 September 08 03:50 BST (UK) »
Not easy this ancestral research - is it!

ROFL ;D ;D ;D   I think most of them don't want to be found ::)   

Do you have any of Jane's siblings?  You may need to send for another certificate to confirm.   One of mine from Bangor had about 8 children.   She used two different last names - one patronymic - same as the one she married under and one for what would have been her standard birth surname ??? 

Do you have birth certificates for Evan Foulkes & Ellen Lloyd?  What was Ellen's fathers name on the marriage certificate?

Heather

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 September 08 04:22 BST (UK) »
According to FreeBMD there was only one birth of Evan FOULKES between 1845-1860  and that was one registered Mar Q 1849 Ruthin, vol 27, page 207. 

Coincidently there is an Evan Foulkes, age 2 residing at Gwyndy, Nantglyn in 1851
Ref HO107/2504/459/15
Foulkes, John, head, age 34, ag lab, born Nantglyn
Foulkes, Sarah, wife, age 34,  born Henllan
Foulkes, Robert, son, age 8
Foulkes, Sarah, dau, age 5

Does this match with what you have discovered re age at marriage?

Heather

Offline Cajondy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 September 08 09:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather

thanks again for coming back so quickly.

I think I have a sibling of Jane's from her marriage certificate - one of the witnesses was an Elizabeth Foulkes (spelt Ffoulkes on the certificate). Her father is Evan Foulkes who is shown as being a farm labourer from a place called (looks like) Aper Las, Saron nr Denbigh - she is shown as being 23 at the time of her marriage in Sept 1901

John Jones - whom she married - is also shown as being 23 and living at Bryn, Llanynys (I have the census records for 1901 which confirm he is living there with his parents and some of his siblings) - his father is also a farm labourer. John's witness at his wedding was Thomas - who is one of his brothers

On Jane's birth certificate her father is shown as being a farmer (the first census I've been able to find Evan married to Ellen with daughters Jane and Elizabeth is 1881 where he is living at Pent y Foel, Llanrhaiadr - a farmer - he was still living here in the 1901 census)

In 1901 census I have Jane living and working in a vicargae next door to Bryn, Llanynys - where John Jones was living

I've assumed the Evan Foulkes in 1851 census @ Gwyndy is the right family also - may well be a wrong assumption on my part - but it matched the prents I know Evan has - I've also found them in 1871 1881 & 1891 census living in Nantglyn. Evan's marriage certificate shows him as being aged 26 when he married in 1875 - which would mean he was born 1849 - and this matches with aged 2 in 1851. Ellen Lloyd shows as being 20 when she married Evan

A few missing census records that may possibly shed more light which are: Evan pre 1881, John & Sarah 1861

I've not got birth certificates for Evan of Ellen as yet - still looking for concrete data to get them. Ellen's is a source of confusion - as mentioned before on Jane's birth certificate she is stated as being Edwards - whereas on the marriage certificate she is stated as being Lloyd (father's name Enoch Lloyd - which may explain why one of Jane's siblings is called Enoch)

regards
Cajondy
Hussey Burgh - unknown
Bateman - Westmorland
Dobson - Westmorland
Capstick - Westmorland
Dacre - Cumberland
Gainford - Cumberland
Shackley - Cumberland
Diamond - Cumberland
Harrington - Cumberland
Russell - Cumberland

Offline LeeW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Everything I post is copyrighted by me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 September 08 13:26 BST (UK) »
Nantglyn Waen Chapel
(C) Copyright LeeW

Wetton, Matthews, Sutton, Goodwin, Clarkson, Allman of Staffordshire
Morris, Daniel, Roberts, Lewis, Owen, Jones, Evans of Denbighshire (Llangernyw, Gwytherin, Pandy Tudur, Llansannan, Llanfair TH, etc)

http://www.wetton.net/mytree2

Offline LeeW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Everything I post is copyrighted by me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 September 08 13:30 BST (UK) »
This is another Foulkes in Nantglyn chapel
(C) Copyright LeeW

Wetton, Matthews, Sutton, Goodwin, Clarkson, Allman of Staffordshire
Morris, Daniel, Roberts, Lewis, Owen, Jones, Evans of Denbighshire (Llangernyw, Gwytherin, Pandy Tudur, Llansannan, Llanfair TH, etc)

http://www.wetton.net/mytree2

Offline Cajondy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 September 08 21:21 BST (UK) »
wow - thanks for the photos - and church details - much appreciated

regards
Cajondy