Author Topic: John Howard Macfarlane  (Read 2586 times)

Offline Laurina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
John Howard Macfarlane
« on: Monday 29 September 08 16:29 BST (UK) »
Looking for any information about John Howard Macfarlane b. 12 Aug 1861, Kilkenny, Ireland. - Parent's, siblings etc

He emigrated to Canada around about 1897. His son Thomas Howard Macfarlane was born in Vancouver in 1902 and married my father's cousin.

Thanks

Laurina
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Howard Macfarlane
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 September 08 18:24 BST (UK) »
Civil registration of births in Ireland began 1864 so you will be more likely to find information mostly from Canadian records.

To find the date he left for Canada you could check www.findmypast.com (passengers leaving U.K. 1890-1960). You can search (free) and should be able to get name, year and port of departure, port of arrival and sometimes approx. date of birth without purchasing credits.

1901, 1911 (and possibly 1906) census records will help with details like year he came to Canada, etc. All free to search at www.automatedgenealogy.com

Depending on where in Canada the events took place marriage and death certificates might provide details like birthplace (Kilkenny is a county as well as a town), parents, etc. Local Canadian newspaper obituary may also give personal details.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Laurina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Howard Macfarlane
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 September 08 18:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that information - I have never tried to acess Irish records. I guess there were no census in Ireland then?

Would I find a marriage for him in Ireland?

Laurina
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk