Author Topic: Sam Spencer (Cleckheaton) research progress  (Read 1645 times)

Offline nsc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Sam Spencer (Cleckheaton) research progress
« on: Tuesday 30 September 08 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hello,

My friends, Henri and Eva Macuk (née Spencer) have just spent 10 days in Yorkshire with members of their newly-found family. (See earlier ‘Sam Spencer’ posts) They were able to trace these people largely through the information and support provided by people who use this forum, so on Eva’s behalf, I’d like to say ‘thank you’.

During their time in Yorkshire, they were able to locate the graves of Eva’s great-uncle Frank (brother of her grandfather, Sam) and her namesake, great-aunt Eva. They also found, through records in the local library, Sam had a son (Maurice born 28.09.1914 in Gomersal) with his then wife, Nancy Pennett before he left for the war in France. However, nothing else is known about Maurice.

Sam’s brother, Frank, whom they found died on 02.09.1972, was married to Marion Thurmann (? Surname apparently unreadable) on 30.08.1930 in Cleckheaton, and had three daughters, Molly (XXXX), Marjorie (XXXX) and Christine (XXXX). It seems that it was Christine who contacted Pierre Spencer (Eva’s father) in France between 1990 and 1995, and she was possibly married in XXXX.

I know we’re into the realms of recent, living history here, so I’m not sure how appropriate it is for this forum, but if nothing else, it’s very interesting to see a piece of research coming to fruition, and I assume, rewarding for all of the people who have helped.

There are still many unanswered questions. Why isn’t Marion buried in the same grave as Frank? What happened to Nacy Pennett (alive at least until 1973)? What happened to Maurice Spencer? (He is in the Electoral Registers with his mother until 1939). And most importantly, what happened to (and even the possible whereabouts of) Molly, Marjorie and Christine, who, in the 1940’s, used to write regularly to their cousins in France (Eva still has the letters).

If anyone can help with anything here, that would be wonderful, but above all, a very big thank you, for everybody’s help to date!

Neil Cartwright (on behalf of Eva and Henri)

Moderator's Note: Edited to remove details of possible living person in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline winston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sam Spencer (Cleckheaton) research progress
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 October 08 19:26 BST (UK) »
HI Neil

How wonderful to have such a good ending even though ther are still areas of this search that as you say would need finalising.

If I can be of any help please let me know.

Wendy
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Blakeley in Batley West Yorks
Turner in Hanging Heaton West Yorkshire
Dann last known area Soothill West Yorks
Hirst in Hanging heaton W Yorks
Moss in Morley and Leeds
Parker in Morley W Yorks
Parker in Hull E Yorks
Tilburns in Morley W Yorks

Offline crissie

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sam Spencer (Cleckheaton) research progress
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 December 08 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

My friends, Henri and Eva Macuk (née Spencer) have just spent 10 days in Yorkshire with members of their newly-found family. (See earlier ‘Sam Spencer’ posts) They were able to trace these people largely through the information and support provided by people who use this forum, so on Eva’s behalf, I’d like to say ‘thank you’.

During their time in Yorkshire, they were able to locate the graves of Eva’s great-uncle Frank (brother of her grandfather, Sam) and her namesake, great-aunt Eva. They also found, through records in the local library, Sam had a son (Maurice born 28.09.1914 in Gomersal) with his then wife, Nancy Pennett before he left for the war in France. However, nothing else is known about Maurice.

Sam’s brother, Frank, whom they found died on 02.09.1972, was married to Marion Thurmann (? Surname apparently unreadable) on 30.08.1930 in Cleckheaton, and had three daughters, Molly (XXXX), Marjorie (XXXX) and Christine (XXXX). It seems that it was Christine who contacted Pierre Spencer (Eva’s father) in France between 1990 and 1995, and she was possibly married in XXXX.

I know we’re into the realms of recent, living history here, so I’m not sure how appropriate it is for this forum, but if nothing else, it’s very interesting to see a piece of research coming to fruition, and I assume, rewarding for all of the people who have helped.

There are still many unanswered questions. Why isn’t Marion buried in the same grave as Frank? What happened to Nacy Pennett (alive at least until 1973)? What happened to Maurice Spencer? (He is in the Electoral Registers with his mother until 1939). And most importantly, what happened to (and even the possible whereabouts of) Molly, Marjorie and Christine, who, in the 1940’s, used to write regularly to their cousins in France (Eva still has the letters).

If anyone can help with anything here, that would be wonderful, but above all, a very big thank you, for everybody’s help to date!

Neil Cartwright (on behalf of Eva and Henri)

Dear All, my name is Christine Reynolds was (spence) before marriage. I am the daughter of Marjorie Spencer who was the daughter of Frank Spencer. I received a call from Christine Birkett in the Channel Islands letting me know that you are coming to Cleckheaton next week I hope to meet you too.
Please if you would like to contact me on
Moderator Comment: Personal details removed.  Please us the personal message system to exchange such information.   New members need 3 posts to do so.