Author Topic: Money in the Bank  (Read 1726 times)

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Family History - the ultimate detective story
    • View Profile
Re: Money in the Bank
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 02 February 05 22:44 GMT (UK) »
 :) :) :)

What an interesting link Hack !

Note how many foreing nationals there were in the household, especially German.   Not surprising when one considers that German was spoken by all the Royals, and why not, after all,  their real name was Sax-Coburg Gotha.

:) :) :)
BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 02 February 05 23:40 GMT (UK) »
On the topic of money in the censuses have you thought of all the Tanners there were? For the benefit of the younger folk [or those educated only at Public Schools and Oxbridge] a Tanner was Sixpence. Of course, a shilling was a Bob but that is not a surname, or is it? Then there was a Dollar - there were once, my children, 4 $US to a Pound. I am sure there are some Dollars around - I once knew someone called Dollar but he was worthless. A threepenny bit was a Joey as well. Ah, those days ???
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Paul E

« Reply #11 on: Thursday 03 February 05 08:26 GMT (UK) »
There are probably a fair few Schillings, too!  Someday, perhaps, when time is no enemy and I'm bricked in by too many walls :) :)

Paul

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 03 February 05 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Hack.   Fascinating stuff - and I knew you would have the answer!

Jill

Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 03 February 05 16:03 GMT (UK) »

Well done everyone who replied to this thread, when I read the first couple of posts I was about to suggest that Paul and Hack should get out more  ;D....  however Rootschat being what it is the topic just got better and better..thanks everyone!
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Paul E

« Reply #14 on: Thursday 03 February 05 16:23 GMT (UK) »

when I read the first couple of posts I was about to suggest that Paul and Hack should get out more

Suey, if you are suggesting I need to get a life...
I've got one, I'm just not using it at the moment! :)

Paul

Paul E

« Reply #15 on: Thursday 03 February 05 16:27 GMT (UK) »
a Tanner was Sixpence. Of course, a shilling was a Bob but that is not a surname, or is it?

Ah, but could you get a bus, nigfht out at the pictures, fish and chip supper and a pint in the pub and still get change from two bob, Hack?? :D

There are 40 Robert Tanners in 1871 - that's 40 x 17.5p in anyone's book!

Paul