Author Topic: Athy Parish Records?  (Read 15249 times)

Offline *sparkle*

• I has chosen not to receive notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Athy Parish Records?
« on: Wednesday 01 October 08 15:57 BST (UK) »
I'm still confused with the whole where to look for Irish records.

I have found some references on IGI for the family I am looking for, but is there records anywhere I can consult to find a record of the marriage between Michael Lawler and Catherine Byrne? I'm pretty sure it was in Athy between 1840 and 1850, but Catherine was born in Carlow.

How many churches are there in Athy? Are there any burial records? (Looking for the death of Michael Lawler about 1865-1870)

Would I need to visit Athy and the church in person? And would there be any records there?

Any help would be very very welcome.

Offline RoryT

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Athy Parish Records?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 October 08 22:16 BST (UK) »
Sparkle,

You could try searching on line on http://kildare.brsgenealogy.com
There is a charge for searches, but you can see the records they have before you commit to download and payment.

RoryT
Talbot (Kildare/Dublin), Peppard (Wicklow/Carlow/Dublin), Gilman(Carrick-on-Suir), Gaffney, Spooner, Kavanagh, Foley (Kerry/Cork), Sullivan (Cork), Torbet (Edinburgh), Hennessey (Carrick-on-Suir)

Offline Celtic Damsel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 April 09 14:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Sparkle did you get the information you were looking for here, if not let me know .. regards Damsel

I'm still confused with the whole where to look for Irish records.

I have found some references on IGI for the family I am looking for, but is there records anywhere I can consult to find a record of the marriage between Michael Lawler and Catherine Byrne? I'm pretty sure it was in Athy between 1840 and 1850, but Catherine was born in Carlow.

How many churches are there in Athy? Are there any burial records? (Looking for the death of Michael Lawler about 1865-1870)

Would I need to visit Athy and the church in person? And would there be any records there?

Any help would be very very welcome.
O'Brien, Dublin, Kavanagh, Dublin, Owens, Dublin and Wales, Gibbs, London and Kent, Hill, London and Cork, Goldfinch, London and Kent, Connelly, Dublin

Offline *sparkle*

• I has chosen not to receive notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 April 09 21:54 BST (UK) »
No, I spent a fortune and none of the people were mine :(

I've resigned myself to the fact I need to save up for a trip across the water! :o

:)
Tx

Offline Celtic Damsel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 March 10 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sparkle, just browsing through and came across this thread again, the main records for Athy are held at St Micheals Church and if you write a letter to the secretary there she will do a search for you on your family for about €10 as far as I know, the burial records are held here in Athy at the town council offices and can be viewed by the public but only go back as far as the early 1900's, hope this helps, regards Damsel

No, I spent a fortune and none of the people were mine :(

I've resigned myself to the fact I need to save up for a trip across the water! :o

:)
Tx
O'Brien, Dublin, Kavanagh, Dublin, Owens, Dublin and Wales, Gibbs, London and Kent, Hill, London and Cork, Goldfinch, London and Kent, Connelly, Dublin

Offline lewes3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 June 11 23:52 BST (UK) »
Celtic Damsel,
Where is St. Michael's ? How old is the church ? My family left Athy in 1804 for the USA.
We will be in Athy July 18th ! Thanks

Offline Celtic Damsel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 10:21 BST (UK) »
Hi There St Michaels Church is in Stanhope St in Athy Ph 059-8638391, their website is ad I see it gives specific time for contacting her, http://www.stmichaelsathy.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=63&Itemid=68 it is just about the centre of the town, its not a very big town so anyone will direct you there. It is the new church but they hold the records for the old one the birth and marraige records they hold go back to 1753, the parish secretary is Elaine Foley and she will not do any searches without you writing first so I would get a letter off asap and tell her that you will be in town and give her a phone number to contact you, I cant see her rushing anything but sure its worth a try, or even better still ring her now with your family name and approx dates your looking at and tell her you will pay the fee (which I think is minimal) when you come in to see her, that might work better given that you are coming over so soon. If I can be of any help while you are in the area let me know as the smaller outlying places, cemetries etc can be hard to find if you dont know your way around. I think you should have a read of this link as well http://kildare.ie/Library/KildareCollectionsandResearchServices/, it is the library in Newbridge which is a large town about 30 minutes drive away, they have all of the same records that are here in the church and they are easily searchable , they also hold a lot of other relevant documents to searces in the area and the family reserach people there are excellent the head of the department is Mario Corrigan hope all of this helps , regards Bernadette

Celtic Damsel,
Where is St. Michael's ? How old is the church ? My family left Athy in 1804 for the USA.
We will be in Athy July 18th ! Thanks

Offline lewes3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 00:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply, Bernadette. I have, in fact, been in touch with the genealogy dept in Newbridge and they have been  helpful. While I've learned of family from 1754, I wish I could go back even farther !! I cannot find it now, but I saw a message to you about  a Peter Duen born about 1760, from a man named Henry C. Is there a way I can contact him ? I believe there is a Peter Dwen ( here in the US) related through the Ryans, my 4th great grandmother, Mary Ryan , who married James Carney, the family I am researching.  Peter Duen was a witness at the Carney/Ryan marriage .My email is (*).
Are there any cemeteries that have readable headstones or does St. Michael have any cemetery records of burials  that date back to the mid 1700's?
The Ryans were from Bray and the Carneys from Inch ? Is there a post office in those towns ?
You have been most helpful,thanks. Barbara

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Celtic Damsel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 09:19 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have sent you a PM , on the Dwen connection it was someone calling himself or herself Harry C this is a link to the board he posted to me on, http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,183659.40.html, and where I think you might have seen it, if the link does not work for you go to the Kildare boards and find my post " Do you need help in Athy" and you will find the post there, I have Pm'ed him but I see he hasn't been on here since 2006 so I don't know if he will answer, I only come on myself these days if someone contacts me so hopefully he will see the notification in his email and contact me or yourself good luck with that, regards Damsel

Thanks for the reply, Bernadette. I have, in fact, been in touch with the genealogy dept in Newbridge and they have been  helpful. While I've learned of family from 1754, I wish I could go back even farther !! I cannot find it now, but I saw a message to you about  a Peter Duen born about 1760, from a man named Henry C. Is there a way I can contact him ? I believe there is a Peter Dwen ( here in the US) related through the Ryans, my 4th great grandmother, Mary Ryan , who married James Carney, the family I am researching.  Peter Duen was a witness at the Carney/Ryan marriage .My email is (*).
Are there any cemeteries that have readable headstones or does St. Michael have any cemetery records of burials  that date back to the mid 1700's?
The Ryans were from Bray and the Carneys from Inch ? Is there a post office in those towns ?
You have been most helpful,thanks. Barbara

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php