Author Topic: TREADWELL = JEPHSON  (Read 3742 times)

Offline yattonharry

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Best, YattonHarry
    • View Profile
TREADWELL = JEPHSON
« on: Thursday 02 October 08 15:05 BST (UK) »
I seek the marriage place of John Treadwell, a huntsman who married Jane Jephson in Gainsborough, June Qtr 1852. 7a 1345.

I need to learn their home address and their parents.

I am doing a local history project.  These are not my family otherwise I would purchase a certificate.

Thanks,
YattonHarry
WALES: Bevan, David, Thomas in area of Ystradyfodwg [Rhondda] Llangeinor and Bettws [Glam] Glamorgan Farms of interest: Graigddu, Gwaunadda, Llwynypia, Maesllan, Penygraig and Cwmsaerbren | RAYMOND, St Davids Pembrokeshire; OWEN St Davids Pembrokeshire; JONES Upper Neath Valley;
ENGLAND: Somerset, Yatton, Kenn, Portishead, Weston-i-Gardano, Clevedon & Bristol. Names: Nethway, Perris, Knight, Gosling, Payne.

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: TREADWELL = JEPHSON
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 October 08 15:57 BST (UK) »

William Jephson 48 victualler and farmer of 45 acres b Sutton Notts
Elizabeth 50 wife b Beckingham Notts
George 15 son b Misterton
Emma 8 dau b ditto(living with Jane and John on 61 census as sister in law)
Ann 11 dau b ditto
address just says Misterton  East Retford reg district Gainsborough
They have a lodger John Thornton 23 saddler and harness maker  master b Ingham Lincs.No Jane but she was born in Misterton on 61 census

HO107 2119 fol 370 p 19

Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline yattonharry

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Best, YattonHarry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 October 08 17:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks you so much for that Isobelruss. That is a great help.

YattonHarry
WALES: Bevan, David, Thomas in area of Ystradyfodwg [Rhondda] Llangeinor and Bettws [Glam] Glamorgan Farms of interest: Graigddu, Gwaunadda, Llwynypia, Maesllan, Penygraig and Cwmsaerbren | RAYMOND, St Davids Pembrokeshire; OWEN St Davids Pembrokeshire; JONES Upper Neath Valley;
ENGLAND: Somerset, Yatton, Kenn, Portishead, Weston-i-Gardano, Clevedon & Bristol. Names: Nethway, Perris, Knight, Gosling, Payne.

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 October 08 17:32 BST (UK) »
I've found your people - both in the same household - in 1851!

It was a huge household - at Cottesmore, Rutland, the head was

Henley G GREAVES 32 Esq & Master of Hounds/Farmer

included in the 46 person household were
Wm TREADWELL 27 Whipper In, Wiltshire Ashton
and
Jane JESSOP 24 Kitchen Maid, Notts Misterton
Elizabeth JESSOP 21 Under Housemaid, Notts Misterton

Read about the Cottesmore Hunt here - http://www.cottesmore-hunt.co.uk/chhistory.html
Don't cry because its over. Smile because it happened.

Offline yattonharry

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Best, YattonHarry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 October 08 18:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Geoff,
Now that is a puzzle.  Those girls Jessop not Jephson coming from the same hamlet as my Jane, and a Treadwell huntsman being there with Henry Greaves too.

They must all be connected somehow. Henry Greaves was a wealthy man and a well known huntsman, and Master of the Cottesford. Treadwell's did work for him, but I do not know who this Wm is - shall have to do more digging.  ::)

My Jane was married by the 1851 census.  So this Jane is not her, but fascinating.  Thank you for setting me yet another puzzle into these Treadwells.

YattonHarry

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 October 08 18:40 BST (UK) »
My Jane was married by the 1851 census.  So this Jane is not her, but fascinating. 

Beg pardon YH, but they married in 1852 according to your first post. 
The chap who appears as William - born in the same village as John TREADWELL, Ashton Wilts - claimed to be unmarried in the census.  If he was the wrong chap, where was the right one?

There is no evidence of JESSOP baptisms in Misterton, so I am proposing that the JESSOP girls were really JEPHSON and just incorrectly named by the person who filled in the census form or the person who transcribed it.  When dismissing these as the wrong girls, one really needs to find the "right girls" to back up the theory ... sadly (or happily ;) ) they are not to be found.

The 1841 census shows that the couple proposed as being the parents of Jane JEPHSON (above) - William and Elizabeth JEPSON - had a daughter Elizabeth aged 10.  Jane JIBSON 14 was a servant elsewhere in the village.

Offline yattonharry

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Best, YattonHarry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 October 08 20:34 BST (UK) »
AAAAAAHHH!!  You are quite correct.  Sorry about that.

I had just been sorting out his father, who I have now found and was in his era and not that of John and his to be wife Jane.

The way these hunting families moved about is amazing.  Thank you so  much for finding them for me.

I shall now try to see if there was a brother called William, also baptised/born at Ashton, Wiltshire, or if the enumerator or person giving the information gave the incorrect given name for this Treadwell.

Thanks very much, YH

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 October 08 20:45 BST (UK) »
I shall now try to see if there was a brother called William, also baptised/born at Ashton, Wiltshire, or if the enumerator or person giving the information gave the incorrect given name for this Treadwell.

Thanks very much, YH

I should have said, "William" actually appears as Do - ditto - below another William.

Offline yattonharry

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Best, YattonHarry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 October 08 20:50 BST (UK) »
Yes I have just been looking at it again and it could easily have been that the person giving the information didn't quite know and to make things simple for himself the enumerator has just dittoed this Wm above.

The Elizabeth Jessop is actually written showing the first s the old way so it looks quite like Jepson - and Jane was married as Jepson.

Good for you Geoff.