Author Topic: Postlethwaite Brickwall  (Read 2169 times)

Offline Postlethwaite

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Postlethwaite Brickwall
« on: Thursday 02 October 08 17:02 BST (UK) »
Hello,  I am having difficulty in finding my 2 x Grandfather Matthew Postlethwaite b abt 1820 Dalton, Lancashire.  Is there any way I can find his parents bearing in mind I cannot find his baptism details nor his marriage details.  He does appear on the census returns for 1861 to 1891 living in Keswick, Cumberland with Esther.

As I have visited both Barrow in Furness and Carlisle RO and not been able to find Matthews baptism or marrige details does this mean I have come to the end of the line regarding my postlethwaite ancestry or are there any other ways I can find Matthew's parents?

Thanks
Postlethwaite, Dalton in Furness Lancashire, Williamson, Birkett, Grave in Keswick Cumberland, Holmes, in Stavely, Westmorland.  Also Robinson and McDowell Keswick, Cumberland and Ireland.

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Postlethwaite Brickwall
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 October 08 17:42 BST (UK) »
I think I might have found him in 1841 in Penruddock, Cumberland, aged 20, occupation, Miller, not born in county. He is living alone so I'll go on to 1851 and see what I can find.

Jen
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline Postlethwaite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 October 08 17:45 BST (UK) »
Soryy I think that is the other Matthew Postlethwaite b Hawkshead abt 1820
Postlethwaite, Dalton in Furness Lancashire, Williamson, Birkett, Grave in Keswick Cumberland, Holmes, in Stavely, Westmorland.  Also Robinson and McDowell Keswick, Cumberland and Ireland.

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 October 08 17:54 BST (UK) »
Sorry I think that is the other Matthew Postlethwaite b Hawkshead abt 1820

I think a link to the "other" thread would be in order http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,328167.0.html

Sadly, not every entry finds its way into the register.  There are two ancestors of mine ... their baptisms are in the IGI, their baptisms are in a book of transcriptions in Whitehaven Records Office but the register/BTs at Whitehaven don't have them.  They must be in something, somewhere to have been transcribed but that something is not to be found in Whitehaven.
Don't cry because its over. Smile because it happened.

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 October 08 17:57 BST (UK) »
Ok, sorry. I am hunting for other possibilities and will get back to you if I find anything.

Jen

SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson

Offline Postlethwaite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 October 08 18:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks GeoffE I should have thought of that but not as au fait with the system as you.

Thanks Gengen and apologies for not being clearer.

Pos

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 October 08 20:14 BST (UK) »
I had a quick look at the pre 1839 marriages in Crosthwaite and there were a few Postlethwaites so get back to me if you find he was more local.  I have a fiche of the BMDs1813-39 thanks to the generosity of another rootschatter.   Oh - just realised this would be better on your other post where you talk about his wife being from Crosthwaite!  Not helped by there being Crosthwaites in Cumberland and Westmorland!  I was looking at the latter.
Andrea
Edit - you are right Genjen - much more likely to be the Cumberland one but it was odd the name showed up.

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 October 08 20:19 BST (UK) »
If they lived in Keswick it was surely more likely to that Crosthwaite than the one near Kendal?

Offline Postlethwaite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 October 08 20:40 BST (UK) »
it is all rather confusing because Matthew's partner Esther Holmes was born in Keswick - Crosthwaite Cumberland, her Father was George Holmes b 1779 Kendal, Westmorland and Matthew was born abt 1820 Dalton (in Furness) Lancashire.  I say Esther was Matthew's partner rather than wife because no records exist to say they were married.  Likewise I have found no records of baptism for Matthew. 

My question is: as I have found (and there may be) no records of baptism or marriage of Matthew does this mean that I will not be able to find his parents or is there any other way that I can trace them?

It seems an awful shame that I can only get back to 1820 and that is where my ancestry stops however if there is no way to find his parents I shall just have to accept the fact.

Thank you.

Pos