Author Topic: Prison in Portland, Dorset  (Read 16201 times)

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Prison in Portland, Dorset
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 26 October 08 15:55 GMT (UK) »

Just had a thought; the informant was the coroner so there should be a coroner's report somehwere!   Possibly at the Dorset History Centre in Dorchester; might be worth a phone call/email to see if they hold them or if, because it was a prisoner's death, they are elsewhere (Kew?).

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 26 October 08 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Nanny Jan I have already contacted Dorset, to see if they can photo copy me a copy of the burial register.

I will contact them again regarding the coroners report.
Fingers crossed.

Thank you.

Pettsy
Petts in Hertfordshire,Chelsea & New Zealand.<br />Swift in Islington, Chelsea &  Battersea.<br />Cox in Chelsea.<br />Carter in Chelsea.<br />Little in Westminster, London.<br />Munn & McAulay in Duntocher, Scotland.<br />
Munn New Jersey and Oz
Dwyer, McManus & Kiernan in Ireland.<br />Turner in Shrewsbury.<br />Cannon in London.<br />Porter in London.<br />Kinner in Chelsea, London.<br />Le Breton

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 26 October 08 16:24 GMT (UK) »

Good luck!  Let us know how you get on.

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 07 November 08 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi pettsy,

I'm sorry but not much to report; the queues for advice were very long........finally found someone to ask in the middle of the afternoon by which time it was too late to order anything.   :(

He could not give much advice but suggested ordering the files that covered the time span and specifying any year/years of interest!  Gave me two sets of info sheets (I think the same ones as available on their site) and also suggested searching www.oldbaileyonline.org

The 2 info packs are Tracing 19th & 20th Century Criminals (no. 78) and  Sources for Convicts and Prisoners (no.88); 12 & 20 pages!

If you are interested in them I can post them on if you PM me with your address but there seems a huge variety........Female prisoners,  Australian items, Criminal Lunacy.........

However, the society are planning more trips to Kew next year so hopefully I will have decided which are the most likely documents to order!

Nanny Jan

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 07 November 08 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nanny Jan,

Thank you for looking for me. Don't bother to post the info sheets, I will view them online. I should be able to go to Kew this year, hopefully. I will and try find out what I need to order and order it before I go. Fingers crossed they have something.

Did you manage to find out what you were looking for? I hope so.

I bet it is very busy there now they have closed the FRC and moved it all to Kew.

Thanks again.

Pettsy
Petts in Hertfordshire,Chelsea & New Zealand.<br />Swift in Islington, Chelsea &  Battersea.<br />Cox in Chelsea.<br />Carter in Chelsea.<br />Little in Westminster, London.<br />Munn & McAulay in Duntocher, Scotland.<br />
Munn New Jersey and Oz
Dwyer, McManus & Kiernan in Ireland.<br />Turner in Shrewsbury.<br />Cannon in London.<br />Porter in London.<br />Kinner in Chelsea, London.<br />Le Breton

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 07 November 08 12:34 GMT (UK) »
No luck on my prisoner; will try next time.   Couldn't find my soldiers.....

Spent  time getting lots of census details though!

Reasonably busy in there; as far as I know all the BMD registers from FRC are in store in Christchurch somewhere!

Good luck on your trip.

Nanny Jan

Offline Allie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 08 October 11 10:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Pettsy,

Just come across this old thread as I am also researching an ancestor who died whilst at Portland Prison. He died in 1873 too.

Did you manage to find any further information on your ancestor and his time in the prison?

Allie
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Shropshire research interests: Betton, Boliver, Cook/Cooke, Fallows, Griffiths, Howell, Jones, Lewis, Rogers, Weston, Wilson

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 15 August 13 22:22 BST (UK) »
Sorry Allie I have just seen your post :-\

I have just found an article on his death in the local newspaper, so at least now I know how he died.

Western Gazette  22 August 1873.

Fatal accident. A convict named Alfred Mc Manus met with an accident on Saturday last in the quarries, a stone that was being hoisted falling on him. He was taken to the Prison Infirmary, but expired from his injuries at nine o'clock on Sunday morning. An inquest was to held this (Tuesday) afternoon before R N Howard Esq.

I live in Devon now so plan to visit his grave next month. Did you find any info on your ancestor?

Karen
Munn New Jersey and Oz