Author Topic: Abbotts Langley: The Bon-bon sweet shop?  (Read 34189 times)

Offline FamilyBDTC

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Abbotts Langley: The Bon-bon sweet shop?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 05 October 08 13:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Grundy, I have a look!

MrsB

I have sent them a email to see if they can help me!
Staffordshire: Burton upon Trent, Dunstall, Rugeley,Kings Bromley, Alrewas,
Leicestershire: Leicester.
Kingsclere, Hampshire

Offline percy porter

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Alan NZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 05 October 08 21:33 BST (UK) »
"BINGO"

another ex Abbots Langleyite has contacted me and here is a quote from her message.

"
The Bon Bon was located next door to Dobson's Barber's  Shop (where I also had my hair cut until the old man's son (Fred) set up shop upstairs as a "ladies hair salon"!).  Dobson's which is now an antique shop (or was when I was back there several years ag) is on the corner of the Crescent and the High Street at the end of a row of shops that starts up by the King's Head.
The other side of the Bon Bon was Dorets - a "haber dasher" shop  that sold women's underwear, other "unmentionables",  yarn (wool) thread (cotton), etc.  Above Dorets was the Chemist's shop (later taken over by Boots) which had wonderul very large glass containers in the window filled with brightly colored liquids, which was fascinating to a small child.

The Bon Bon was bought by Mr and Mrs Lyons sometime around the end of the war, but when sweet rationing was still in place. I can remember spending, what seemed like hours, pondering what selection I could make when it was my turn to choose the family's sweets allowance.  They also sold toys and had a display of Dinkie Toys to the right when you entered the store.  The sweets display was to the left as you walked in.  Another sweet shop in the village was Miss Glennisters on the other side of the road next to the Bricklayers Arms.  Right at the top of the High Street - past the church was another little, ancient sweet shop - it was near to a butcher's shop and Miss Busbie's Untertaker's business.  Do you remember Pauline Hicks?  She lived in one of the terraced houses up there alongside the Harris's who ran the taxi service."

Regards

Alan
Britton:Hawkins: London
Stephenson: Cox: London
Straughan: Sweeney: Newcastle/Durham
Liddell: Hobson:Newcastle/Durham
Horne:Oxfordshire/ Bienfait/Winnipeg
Voss: Dorset

Offline BuddysMummy

• RootsChat Member
  • Old family home in Rockhampton, Qld. Still there.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 05 October 08 21:41 BST (UK) »
That's great news. Well done.

I won't make a huge point of asking Ron now!
Rands - Hackney. Bedfordshire.
Griffiths - Birkenhead. Queensland, Australia
Ollive/Olive - Cheshire. Birkenhead
Holt - ?Cheshire/Liverpool
Lacey - Mile End, London. Queensland, Australia
Felix (surname ), Wales, England.
Sewell - Middx. Queensland, Australia
Sapsord/ Sapsford - Middx

Offline percy porter

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Alan NZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 05 October 08 23:33 BST (UK) »
"ron" may well be able to add something and could even be interested in the above reminiscences

Alan NZ

Offline FamilyBDTC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 06 October 08 06:20 BST (UK) »
Wow!

Than
"BINGO"

another ex Abbots Langleyite has contacted me and here is a quote from her message.

"
The Bon Bon was located next door to Dobson's Barber's  Shop (where I also had my hair cut until the old man's son (Fred) set up shop upstairs as a "ladies hair salon"!).  Dobson's which is now an antique shop (or was when I was back there several years ag) is on the corner of the Crescent and the High Street at the end of a row of shops that starts up by the King's Head.
The other side of the Bon Bon was Dorets - a "haber dasher" shop  that sold women's underwear, other "unmentionables",  yarn (wool) thread (cotton), etc.  Above Dorets was the Chemist's shop (later taken over by Boots) which had wonderul very large glass containers in the window filled with brightly colored liquids, which was fascinating to a small child.

The Bon Bon was bought by Mr and Mrs Lyons sometime around the end of the war, but when sweet rationing was still in place. I can remember spending, what seemed like hours, pondering what selection I could make when it was my turn to choose the family's sweets allowance.  They also sold toys and had a display of Dinkie Toys to the right when you entered the store.  The sweets display was to the left as you walked in.  Another sweet shop in the village was Miss Glennisters on the other side of the road next to the Bricklayers Arms.  Right at the top of the High Street - past the church was another little, ancient sweet shop - it was near to a butcher's shop and Miss Busbie's Untertaker's business.  Do you remember Pauline Hicks?  She lived in one of the terraced houses up there alongside the Harris's who ran the taxi service."

Regards

Alan

Wow!!  Thanks for all your help on this one! Alan you have done a brilliant job and I can't wait to share this information with my mum. I'm hoping now, through contacting the Abbots Langley History Society that I may eventually track down a photo of the shop. If not I'll be having a day out to visit Abbots Langley for myself.

With greatful thanks to all the brilliant 'rootschatters' who helped on this one!

Mrs B  (Mel)
Kingsclere, Hampshire

Offline dsjturner

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 16 December 08 00:17 GMT (UK) »
I go to Abotts regularly, in fact i'm going tomorrow and would be happy to take some photo's if you'd like. I think i know where you are talking about, if so the antiques shop is now more of a gift type of shop and the shop across the road is a budgens supermarket!!
Seabrook and Doggett Abbots langley, Herts
Robinson, Oxford
Fryer and Bates, Penn, Bucks
French, Oldbury, Worcestershire
Turner and Cunningham Galashiels, Scotland
Barrs, Leicstershire/London

Offline FamilyBDTC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 16 December 08 06:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Any photos would be greatly received thanks!! I haven't heard from the history society and haven't had chance to travel down to Abbots Langley yet.

Thanks
 ;D
Kingsclere, Hampshire

Offline percy porter

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Alan NZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 16 December 08 08:35 GMT (UK) »
I'd certainly be interested in some pics, especially of the hill under the railway bridge, I trudged up there many a day after school before we moved to Watford and I could get the bus.

Alan NZ

Offline dsjturner

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 16 December 08 11:39 GMT (UK) »
I'll see what i can do! The weather isn't the greatest today but i only live ten minutes away so if not i'll try get some soon!
Oh i don't envy you percy porter walking up that hill everyday!
Seabrook and Doggett Abbots langley, Herts
Robinson, Oxford
Fryer and Bates, Penn, Bucks
French, Oldbury, Worcestershire
Turner and Cunningham Galashiels, Scotland
Barrs, Leicstershire/London