Author Topic: Marriage/Baptism - James HOLBOURN - Chipping Barnet  (Read 3963 times)

Offline Tigsy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage/Baptism - James HOLBOURN - Chipping Barnet
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 29 August 10 09:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I am looking for myself.  My connection is via Elizabeth Holbourne who married Henry Langley.  Its part of my grandmothers family as her maiden name was Langley. I took an interest in her siblings and found out about the Dartford connection.  I live about 5 miles from Dartford and visited the church that Joseph was buried, although I know there is no headstone.  I did spend a day at the Hertfordshire records office trying to locate details about James and Mary without success.

I did find out below about James parents William and Sarah.

It would be really interesting to share information about the Holbournes as its so frustrating not being able to find out about James and Marys marriage to get a maiden name for Mary.  I would also like to know more about William and Sarah to take that back another generation if possible.

• William and Sarah 1756 married by license.  The ‘mark’ of Wiliiam Holbourn and Sarah Parker, in the presence of the ‘mark’ of Mary Parker and John Godfrey.
• 1759 – 1768  William is listed on the ‘militia’ list frm 1759 to 1768 as being exempt. Occ: Carpenter.
• 1772 William HOLBOURNE ~~ Hannah CRAWLEY 11Nov1772
• William was a widower and Hannah a spinster of the parish.  Both signed their own names and witnesses were Cornelius Cope and John Godfrey.
• As John Godfrey is a witness both times it implies that this is Williams second marriage. William HOLBOURN of Chipping Barnet a widower and Hannah CRAWLEY of the parish, a spinster were married by Licence on 19Nov1772.  Witnesses Cornelius COPE and John GODFREY (Parish clerk).
COLLINS - St Pancras, Kentish Town
LANGLEY - Kentish Town, Camden, Islington, Barnet
MCDONALD - St Pancras, London
CARTER - Kentish Town
HOWARD - Pimlico, Kentish Town, Surrey, Sussex
PROUDLEY - Kent, Sussex
TAYLOR - Devon
GREEN - Somerset
BARRELL - St Pancras, London
ANDERSON - Pimlico, Kentish Town
BROWN - Fenton, Staffs
BRUNT - Fenton/Longton Staffs

Offline efjc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 29 August 10 17:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks Tigsy
May I suggest meeting in The White Cross Pub (saloon bar) North Cray Road Bexley Mon 6th Sept. 8pm
or perhaps somewhere of your choosing on a date to suit you.
Kind regards

Offline pentangle

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 February 11 13:40 GMT (UK) »
I believe the marriage of James and Mary took place on 14th January 1784 at St James, Clerkenwell, which is about 6 miles up the road from Chipping Barnet.

The detail is James Holborn and Mary Lawrence.

This fits in nicely with the christening of their first child, James William Holbourn, on 28th March 1785.

This record is now availably on Ancestry.  Unfortunately I have not been able to trace Mary any further.  There were a lot of Lawrences on the Clerkenwell records and I have not been able to find baptisms on line after 1754.

James is my Gt Gt Gt Gt Gt Grandfather.