Author Topic: 1871 Census, Gt Yarmouth, BOWLES  (Read 1235 times)

Offline LeeHall

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
1871 Census, Gt Yarmouth, BOWLES
« on: Monday 31 January 05 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi - I'm looking for MARY ANN ELIZABETH BOWLES b.Gt Yarmouth, 1862

From the PR entry for her marriage in yarmouth 1879 her father is WILLIAM ISAAC BOWLES. I have thoroughly checked the 1871 Yarmouth Census available on the Norfolk transcriptions website but the only MARY BOWLES of about the right age is the daughter of THOMAS BOWLES - so not 'mine'.
I understand the Census on this site doesn't include Gorlestone and Southtown etc so wondered if anyone could search a little wider for MARY? Possibly she isn't in Yarmouth in 1871 but as she was born there and married there 8 years later it's a relatively good bet

Thanks in advance!
Lee
ADAMS, ALDRED, AYERS/AYRES,BAILEY,BOWLES,BROOKS,BURROWS/BURROUGHS/BORROWS, CANN,CAPPS,CATCHPOLE, EDMONDS/EDMUNDS,FISHER,GOSLING/GOSTLING, HALL, HOOK, LARKMAN, LEABON, MOORE, MOSS, MOULTON, PARK/PARKE, POWELL, SAUNDERS, SPURGEON, WORTLEY and growing...
Norfolk & Suffolk - particularly Yarmouth and Lowestoft, (some Essex, London, Liverpool, Durham)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 Census, Gt Yarmouth, BOWLES
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 January 05 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lee

What about this one?

1871 census

8 Row 143 ???, Great Yarmouth

Elizabeth HOOK wid 47
Mary A BOWLES gdau 9
Hannah gdau 7
John CLACKSON lodger widr 70 gen lab

All born Yarmouth

RG10/1785 folio 47 page 34

Maybe look for a marriage William Isaac BOWLES to see if he married a HOOK ???

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rowdy Jnr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 January 05 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Does she have any siblings?

Clark,Clarke,Kitson,Firth,Aked,Robinson,Senior,Towers,Heaton,Lee,Smith,Tattersal,Aldersley,Tempest,Priestley,Wood,Glaister and many more.

Bingley, Keighley,Haworth,Elslack,Carlton,Lothersdale,Skipton,Bradford, West Yorkshire.
Arkholme, Croston,Lancaster,Lancashire.
Longtown,Whitehaven,Carlisle,Cumberland.

Offline Rowdy Jnr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 January 05 10:56 GMT (UK) »
There are a couple of mary Ann Bowles Staying with Aunts and Granparents.

Have you got any more info?

Clark,Clarke,Kitson,Firth,Aked,Robinson,Senior,Towers,Heaton,Lee,Smith,Tattersal,Aldersley,Tempest,Priestley,Wood,Glaister and many more.

Bingley, Keighley,Haworth,Elslack,Carlton,Lothersdale,Skipton,Bradford, West Yorkshire.
Arkholme, Croston,Lancaster,Lancashire.
Longtown,Whitehaven,Carlisle,Cumberland.

Offline LeeHall

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 January 05 11:06 GMT (UK) »
I think you've found her already! Mary Ann is living on Row 143 at the time of the 1881 and 1891 census' after her marriage. in 1881 there is a mystery Elizabeth living with her, her surname is given as Catcpole - Mary's married name - and she is listed as 'Mother' but at 76 this puts her in her at 56 when Mary Ann or her husband were born. I think you might have solved 2 problems for me...

Thank you for replying so promptly!
Regards,
Lee
ADAMS, ALDRED, AYERS/AYRES,BAILEY,BOWLES,BROOKS,BURROWS/BURROUGHS/BORROWS, CANN,CAPPS,CATCHPOLE, EDMONDS/EDMUNDS,FISHER,GOSLING/GOSTLING, HALL, HOOK, LARKMAN, LEABON, MOORE, MOSS, MOULTON, PARK/PARKE, POWELL, SAUNDERS, SPURGEON, WORTLEY and growing...
Norfolk & Suffolk - particularly Yarmouth and Lowestoft, (some Essex, London, Liverpool, Durham)

Offline LeeHall

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 31 January 05 11:08 GMT (UK) »
oops - just noticed the age of Elizabeth is completely wrong ... ???

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 31 January 05 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lee

I have just checked and it definitely says Elizabeth HOOK age 47. 

The John CLACKSON - on another look it is possibly more likely to be John (something) CACKSON/COCKSON. 

Well, the Row 143 is right and it's definitely number 8.

Shame the houses aren't numbered in 1881 BUT .........

In 1871 they were living next to William & Martha BOYDEN.  I have just checked 1881 and your family were living next to William & Martha BOYDEN.  I think that's conclusive enough don't you?

It's a start anyway.  At least you now have Mary A on 1871.  I expect the Elizabeth problem will sort itself out in time.

Best wishes

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LeeHall

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 31 January 05 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Yes, that's great - thank you for your help.

I can't find a marriage for WILLIAM BOWLES and ? HOOK but... if anyone has access to the 1861 ( or 1851) for Yarmouth could they have a look for ELIZABETH HOOK as I feel her age on the '71 might be wrong - the only reference I can find is a death registered Sep 1886, Yarmouth Elizabeth Hook aged 82.

Sorry if i'm asking too much!!

Lee