Author Topic: Thomas Reginald Bridge South Africa  (Read 5857 times)

Offline claudia99

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Thomas Reginald Bridge South Africa
« on: Monday 31 January 05 12:22 GMT (UK) »
I have an ancestor who went to South Africa between 1891 and 1913.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please.

I am in the UK and am struggling to find the birth record of my gggrandmother and two of her siblings.
One sibling was called Thomas Hooper Bridge who had a son called Thomas Reginald Bridge. Thomas Reginald Bridge was born in the UK, as far as I know, then went to South Africa, married and died there.

Here's what I know about Thomas Reginald Bridge.
His parents were Elizabeth Charlotte Fallows and Thomas Hooper Bridge.  I have the birth certificate of Thoams Reginald Bridge's brother Samuel Bridge and this was true on this certificate.

There is a posting on LDS webpage from an Anthony Charles Courtney who lists him and his parents but most of the date information is incorrect from what I have found.
He is descended from Thomas Reginald Bridge and gives his Thomas Reginald Bridge's birth date as 13 Aug 1879.
He states he married Martha Maria Elizabeth Smith (daughter of Martinus Wessels Smith and Heila Magdelena Gerbrecht Nortje) on 25 Jun 1913 at La Rochelle Turffontein, Jo'berg.
He also states he died 3 Dec 1940 at Port Elizabeth, Cape Province.
Thomas Reginald Bridge would be my 1st cousin, 3 times removed.

As I cannot trace my gggrandmother, I am hoping to gain more information on her nephew and possibly her brother (Thomas Hooper Bridge) in hope of finding out more about her too.
Could anyone let me know where I could obtain a marriage certificate and/or death certificate from the details above.
Also if anyone could find out when/by what means he went to South Africa.  I know he was in the UK at 1891 but cannot find him in 1901 (from the census information).
I have also found out that there was a census carried out in South Africa on 17th May 1911 - is this available and if so could anyone search on it for me to find out further information.

Any help would be appreciated.

I did write to the address shown on the LDS webpage twice to contact Anthony Charles Courtney but received no answer.
I have found a AC Courtney listed on the White pages webpage for South Africa in Durban - do you think it is worth writing there?

Many thanks to anyone who can help!!
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Fagan - Guernsey (1807), Wrexham (census 1841-1871), then Barton upon Irwell from around 1873

Fildes - Manchester, Chester, Liverpool, Chorlton, Ashton, Salford (descended from Mary Pritchard and William Fildes, Sir Samuel Luke's grandparents)

Speakman - Manchester and Salford

Bridge - Manchester (initially Ardwick) and Salford

Offline Rowdy Jnr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Reginald Bridge South Africa
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 January 05 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Charlotte Elizabeth Fallows
Thomas Hooper Bridge

Marriages Dec 1873 Manchester

are these the right people?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Clark,Clarke,Kitson,Firth,Aked,Robinson,Senior,Towers,Heaton,Lee,Smith,Tattersal,Aldersley,Tempest,Priestley,Wood,Glaister and many more.

Bingley, Keighley,Haworth,Elslack,Carlton,Lothersdale,Skipton,Bradford, West Yorkshire.
Arkholme, Croston,Lancaster,Lancashire.
Longtown,Whitehaven,Carlisle,Cumberland.

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 January 05 12:44 GMT (UK) »
COULD THIS BE THOMAS HOOPER BRIDGE IN 1871,ALL BORN STOCKPORT

DROYLSDEN LANE

JOHN BRIDGE, HEAD, AGE 58, NO OCCUPATION
SALLY BRIDGE, WIFE, AGE 58, NO OCCUPATION
THOMAS H BRIDGE, SON, AGE 22, COTTON WEAVER
WILLIAM BRIDGE, SON, AGE 16, PUPIL TEACHER

RG10/4077
ED 16 FOLIO 113 PAGE 31
CIVIL PARISH OF DROYLSDEN
LANCASHIRE

NICKY

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Sewell - Surrey<br />Lynch - Ireland, Devon and Channel Islands<br />Whall and Pye - Norwich, Essex and Kent<br />Cotterill - Warwickshire<br />Adams - North and East Riding of Yorkshire<br />Preest, Dufty Lewis, Aston - Forest of Dean

Offline claudia99

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 January 05 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Rowdy Jnr
Yes they are the right people - have the marriage info already.  I need info on Thomas Hooper Bridge's birth really in the hope of finding out about his sister (my gggrandmother)'s birth.  LDS (Anthony Courtney) lists birth place as Boulton, Derbyshire.  All other siblings except the ones I can't find were born in Manchester and later in Salford.
The ones I cannot find are
Thomas Hooper Bridge b1849
Mary Hilton Bridge b 1854
Susan Elizabeth Towler Bridge b 1858 - my gggrandmother
Births of siblings up to 1851 are in Manchester - Chorlton/Ashton
Births of siblings after 1860 are in Salford.
Hilton, Towler and Hooper are all middle names used by my family.
Thanks Rowdy Jnr for your time.

Nicky
No my Thomas Hooper Bridge's parents are Samuel Bridge and Elizabeth Hooper.  Samuel Bridge was a Hatter and his sons later were Hatters too.
Thanks for looking anyway.
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Fagan - Guernsey (1807), Wrexham (census 1841-1871), then Barton upon Irwell from around 1873

Fildes - Manchester, Chester, Liverpool, Chorlton, Ashton, Salford (descended from Mary Pritchard and William Fildes, Sir Samuel Luke's grandparents)

Offline claudia99

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 January 05 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Nicky
Just looked up where they were at 1871 census - 1 Lower Irwell St, Manchester.
Both parents - Samuel and Elizabeth are there and most of the children - but not Susan!
Thanks
Claudia99

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 February 05 07:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Claudia,
My apologies for the delay - had computer problems.
I have found a death notice for Thomas Reginald Bridge in the national Archives - died in 1940. I would have to apply for this on your behalf - it takes about a month ( nothing in SA is quick!) this should tell you his wife and parents if you were lucky - but it looks like anthony has this information as he states his wife etc. i dont think that looking in SA is going to help too much. Have you searched the 1837 online and joined the Derbyshire mailing list to see if someone can help you with an earlier census at all? i will look at the SA resources I have and see what I can come up with - I am also in Durban so will ask at the FHS if they know this chap at all.
Take care
Ruth
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline claudia99

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 February 05 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ruth
Any help you find would be appreciated.
If you will need to pay for anything, let me know and can send you the money to cover.
I thought maybe if there was a will or something it may tell more.
Thanks for your help
Claudia99 Manchester UK

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 February 05 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Claudia,
There is often a will attached but the cost is minimal - unfortunately we dont have access to the census info either but i am digging!!!!!!!!
Ruth
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk