Author Topic: scamp family  (Read 36872 times)

Offline curtainhooks

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: scamp family
« Reply #36 on: Monday 03 July 23 14:28 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Did you want to find out more family members going back from Oliver Scamp? I'm not sure what information you have on him, but I can write some here just in case you don't know any of this:

Oliver Scamp's birthday on his death record in 1977 was given as: 25th December 1905.
Oliver Scamp's baptism was on the 29th of January 1905 in Guston, Kent (so his birthday on his death record must be incorrect), on his baptism it says ''Born on christmas day 1904'', so they must have got the year confused on his death record. On his baptism, Oliver's parents were stated as: George and Isabella Scamp - ''Gipsys''.

I can't seem to find the family: George, Isabella and Oliver in the 1911 census but I can find George and Isabella in the 1901 census (obviously Oliver isn't on it because he was not born in 1901).

On the 1901 census George Scamp is 34 years old (born in 1867) and he is living ''on the borders of Trinley Park'' which is in Bridge, Kent. I don't know if this means they were living in a caravan or tent, as no street name is mentioned, just ''on the borders of''. Living with George is his wife - Isabella who is 32 years old (born in 1869). In 1901 they had 6 children: Sarah (12 years old), Sabina (9 years old), Esther (7 years old), Riley (5 years old), Henry (3 years old) and Noah (1 years old).

Again, I can't find the family in the 1891 census.
I think that George Scamp was the son of Riley and Sarah Scamp (George's birth year was probably not actually 1867 like he said on the census, if he was the son of Riley and Sarah Scamp his birth year would be around 1857. There are 2 other censuses that George Scamp is on if he is their son, however I can't be completely sure.

Sorry if you already knew all of this, I just thought i'd send it in case you didn't know  :)
I am related to quite a few Scamps - just quite a few generations back,

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 03 July 23 16:56 BST (UK) »
My great great granny Mary Ann clark married Samson Roberts.   Mary Ann’s mother was grace clark, no father shown on her marriage cert to James Clark.  I have a Dna match with so many people on ancestry and they are ALL saying that graces father was Gilderoy scamp! So Thrulines shows that now, because so many people have put it in their trees. If Gilderoy was graces father I don’t know why she went by the name clark and didn’t name him on her marriage cert, although she married her common law husband later in life Gilderoy was still alive. Anyway, just saying I’m potentially related to scamps too!
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline curtainhooks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 03 July 23 18:29 BST (UK) »
Do people think she was the Grace Scamp baptised in 1844 to Gilderoy and Catherine?
Interesting that she didn't mention him!
(I'm directly related to Gilderoy's sister Clarinda)

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 03 July 23 19:23 BST (UK) »
Yes I believe so , I have my grace as born 1847 but her birth wasn’t registered so it could have been 1844. Although I have Dna matches with everyone I’m just thinking they’re barking up the wrong tree putting Gilderoy as graces father.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline JP3171

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 04 July 23 20:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information,

I do remember my Mum ‘Sylvia’ used to say that exact years of birth were sometimes not known with some family members, so thank you for your post i found what you wrote very interesting,

My Grandparents Oliver & Louise Scamp, their daughter Esther who died at 3 years old in 1949, her date of birth on her birth certificate is 23rd February, but on her gravestone her date of birth says 24th February,

When my Mum and her sisters used to meet up, over a meat pudding, they used to talk about their lives regarding travelling in the wagons, fruit picking, the haunted places they used to stop and stay at, they would chat for hours, i do miss them all,

I was told that my Grandparents were 1st cousins,
My Nans maiden name was Matthew, and on my Mums birth certificate it reads
Louise Scamp formally Matthew,

They did say that the Matthew’s had a fairground attraction,

I am interested in finding out more about the Matthew’s family as well, so if anybody knows anything more, please do leave a message on here,

Offline JP3171

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 04 July 23 20:32 BST (UK) »
A photo of Oliver and Louise Scamp, my Grandparents,

This photo was taken in the 1970’s, at Watling Place, Sittingbourne,