Author Topic: John Cartwright in the 1861 Census  (Read 562 times)

Offline nsc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
John Cartwright in the 1861 Census
« on: Monday 31 January 05 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi, can anybody help?

I'm trying to trace a John Cartwright in the 1861 Census. He was born in Nantwich, Cheshire in 1837.

In 1851, he was living in Nantwich, aged 13 as an apprentice shoemaker. Then he disappears.

He turns up again, it seems,  in the 1871 Census,  living in East Wellhead, Heeley, Hallam, Sheffield, aged 32, as a boot and shoemaker. By this time, he was married to Sarah Ann, also aged 32. She was born in Sheffield.

Later censuses seem to place him in Northampton (1881), Liverpool (1891) and although he was deceased by this time, his family were in Wallasey in 1901. If it's one and the same person, I've no idea why he moved around such a lot.

In a sense, as he seemed to move around a lot (?) he could be virtually anywhere. However, as he turned up in Sheffield (could somebody verify this for me?) he might be somewhere else in Yorkshire. (I'm assuming that it's possible to search census returns coutywide??).

Anyway, if anyone could help, it would be really wonderful.

Thanks

Neil 

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: John Cartwright in the 1861 Census
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 April 05 23:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil

Sorry we haven't been able to help you so far on this one. 

Have you made any progress,  or do you have any further details that could help someone to find what you are looking for?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes 

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nsc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: John Cartwright in the 1861 Census
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 June 05 13:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ticker

It's OK. I found him in Preston. He certainly got around. (He was apparently married, but lodging on his own with a family. Maybe he was fleeing the consequences of an unsuccessful marriage without being able to afford a divorce. Who knows???)

Thanks again

Neil