Author Topic: Threats from shhhhhhh you know who  (Read 6576 times)

Offline earley-bird

• RootsChat Senior
  • I am ready for something...but I don't know what!
    • View Profile
Re: Threats from shhhhhhh you know who
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 05 February 05 00:27 GMT (UK) »
I think hackstaple you are misunderstanding the point of most of the discussion here. No one  is begrudging the company their profits I'm sure.

The point I initially raised was the somewhat questionable manner in which said company had chosen to prevent their customers selling on their purchases in order to presumably both  fund further purchases for their research and to  offset their considerable outlay for a product which has served its purpose. The majority of posters seem to agree that the company has probably shot itself in the foot over this. Afterall `you don't bite the hand that feeds you ' or so the saying goes.

I feel sure you would find it disagreeable if car manufacturers suddenly turned round and threatened you not to sell your second hand car !afterall they do own the design and engineering copyrights.

quote`To feel that they should not acquire proprietary rights because it is "public knowledge" is like saying that nobody can copyright a book because all of the words are public knowledge 'end quote
I fail to see how this rather odd analogy has any relevance here. ??? This company is not the originator of any original material they are copying it
Whitchurch, Westminster / Buckinghamshire
Cooper,     Westminster
Pollard     Surrey
Earley,  Holborn London
Bruce,  London
Kangeisser  London
Lawlor, Widnes Lancashire
Hagan   Widnes Lancashire

All Census Lookups are are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only, I support copyright, a Wife, 2x children  a dobie, 2 x cats, a Tawny owl. and several mice if the drop

Offline jeffH

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 05 February 05 06:24 GMT (UK) »
They really should consider breaking up those sets by Parish or region or something and offer them that way as well. I think it would be far more effect then trying to make people not resell their product.

I don't think there is any copyright law that would prevent someone from breaking up a CD set and selling the parts on eBay. Dragging someone's name through the dirt without proper cause can also come back to bite you. But somehow I'm sure S&N have done their homework and know what they're talking about.

If someone were copying the disks and reselling, of even copying parts of the transcriptions (cut and paste) and re-selling, that's breaking copyright law. The raw data is public domain, but their presentation of that data is copyrighted. And just because someone puts something in the "public domain" doesn't mean it may not also be protected by copyright laws.

But I think the best win-win advice for S&N is to start offering single units instead of what I consider to be ridiculously large (and therefore expensive) CD sets.

jeff
Pembrokeshire - Harries and Blethyn<br />Somerset - Wilkins, Parsons and Ball<br/>Essex/Suffolk - Edwards and Smith<br />Morayshire - Younie and Mavor

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 05 February 05 09:01 GMT (UK) »
ok falkryn, so how do they copyright their version?
nicky

If you use a camera to take a photograph you have created a new object under most conditions you then have copyright in that photograph.

Book a photographer for a wedding ... he/she has copyright in the photographs

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 05 February 05 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Earley - I doubt if I have misunderstood anything written here. I have acquired a sneaky suspicion that you or someone close to you has perhaps been reselling individual CD's ? It would be hard to get so hot under the collar about something if you were a disinterested observer.
But, and I will not write on this thread again, you are entirely wrong about copyright. There are books published about antique maps [a topic about which I am well informed]. The maps can all be found on free view in the British Museum or other museums with whose permission photos have been taken. The originator of the work has undeniable and absolute copyright to his work.
Lastly, S&N obviously does not believe that they are biting the hand that feeds them. The hands they are  trying to bite are those who are trying to snatch bread from their mouth. I did question whether they would be successful.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline earley-bird

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 05 February 05 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Earley - . I have acquired a sneaky suspicion that you or someone close to you has perhaps been reselling individual CD's ? It would be hard to get so hot under the collar about something if you were a disinterested observer.
I did question whether they would be successful.

On the contrary hackstaple.  You are the one that is clearly getting hot under the collar as you put it.

I have never purchased any of this companies genaeology products or for that matter any other companies products, where you clearly have a stated  interest here as an existing  customer of the company.

I posted this because I was interested to see a disscussion on what could be construed as questionable business ethics, ie issuing written threats etc. You seem to have `gone off on a bit of a tangent' from the main issue it seems to me.

Regarding my comment about your inappropriate analogy you have just supplied another. maps are one of the very few exceptions in written matter which have clearly stated and well known copyright rules about reproduction and resale.
but you wern't talking about maps you were talking about books were you not. ::)

Cooper,     Westminster
Pollard     Surrey
Earley,  Holborn London
Bruce,  London
Kangeisser  London

All Census Lookups are are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only, I support copyright, a Wife, 2x children  a dobie, 2 x cats, a Tawny owl. and several mice if the drop

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 05 February 05 12:44 GMT (UK) »

Now Now Boys and Girls - don't get too personal    ;D ;D ;D

....Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline earley-bird

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 05 February 05 13:01 GMT (UK) »
yes soooorry everyone  ::) no offence intended hackstaple.
Thanks for the timely intervention Keith. ;D
Cooper,     Westminster
Pollard     Surrey
Earley,  Holborn London
Bruce,  London
Kangeisser  London

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 05 February 05 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Cool  :)
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Steve Ley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 05 February 05 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Just in case some of you didn't know Archive CD Books are selling their new census sets as complete sets and individually.

Steve.
Census images Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

<br /><br /> Researching LEY, MEATS, LEVER (Nottingham)<br /> KERRIAGE/KERRIDGE/CARRIAGE (Norfolk, Cambridge,Lincoln)<br /> WISEMAN (Cambridge)<br /> UNWIN (Staffordshire,Derbyshire)<br /> FRANCES/FRANCIS (Norfolk)<br /> And BELL, McKENZIE and GRAY in Scotland.