Author Topic: Tranent Cemetery  (Read 66293 times)

Offline the landlord

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tranent Cemetery
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lynda

Thank you I know the site well, the Formans had 4 daughters and 4 sons; Bethia was there youngest daughter at the time of the 1841 census she was 3 years old. however i have feel it stayed in Forman ownership (landlord) after Bethia death but with somone else (tenant) at the helm Here's what i have so far....

In the early 1820’s with its race course and the increasing patronage of the finest golf clubs and societies of the day, Musselburgh Links was becoming a very busy place. In 1822 George Forman a young man from near by Prestonpans purchased a piece of land on the edge of the Links that neighboured Blucher Hall. On his newly acquired land, the shrewd George built a public house to provide refreshments to those enjoying the Links.

In the summer of 1826 George took a wife, marrying Marion Bowman at Duddingstone, Edinburgh; it is this Mrs Forman from which the pub is to take its name. Together they made a great success of the Links side business with the little pub becoming famous for its window, through which it served the needs of thirsty golfers. The marriage proved to be a success on all fronts; fifteen years later the 1841 census shows the Forman’s had eight children, four boys and four girls; the youngest being one year old Charles and the eldest fourteen year old George Jnr, already apprenticed to a cabinetmaker. 

Just two years later in 1843 George died at the age of 41, leaving his wife Marion with eight children and a pub to look after. It’s likely at this point the pub would have become known as Mrs Forman’s; before George’s death it may have been known simply as Forman’s.

In 1888 aged 83 Marion Forman died leaving her children to take over the running of the pub where it remained in their care well into the following century. With over sixty years at the bar and with the help of her family, Marion Forman unknowingly put her pub into the history books as one of the most famous buildings in the game of golf.

Since opening its doors in 1822, Mrs Forman’s went onto serve without bias both Lord and Caddie and welcomed some of the greatest champions in the game of golf, Willie Park Snr and Jnr, Young and Old Tom Morris, Harry Vardon and Bobby Jones to name but a very few.  If walls could talk!    

If you can add to this or spot any mistakes could you let me know

Thank you

John

Offline innesaj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 13 March 10 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fiona:

I'm new at this. I am looking for Inneses buried in or around Tranent mid-19th century. Do you know of any?

Offline sharkman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 01 April 10 15:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Caraid,

Found your correspondence re Tranent Cemetery. I am looking for information on Andersons who are buried in Tranent. I am trying to trace information on the Anderson family who lived at 19 Church Street in Tranent at the beginning if the 20th century.

Any help appreciated,

Hi Fiona g
Cannot see anything on your William or Jean. They may perhaps be buried in Gladsmuir, which is very near Elphinstone, but unfortunatly I don't know of any MI's published.
Other Burnsides are

Stenton
by Archd Burnside in memory of father Richard Burnside 8.5.1865 77yr (wife Jean Bell 16.11.1828 38, son John 26.8.1838 8yr,and 3 family died in infancy, 2nd wife Alison Elliot 12.3.1845, 51yr, daughter Janet 11.5.1886, 62yr, daughter Alison 11.4.1892, 80yr) Archd Burnside 18.7.1900, 64.

Innerwick
father John Burnside, died thornton 10.4.1867, 76yr, mother Isabella Outerson, died Thornton 16.8.1875 83yr, by son Alexander(newphew Archd Welsh died Crowhill 17.8.1862, 16month) sister Marg Burnside died Tansy-bush 14.3.1898, 65yr
by george Anderson died Redheugh 17.3.1901, 80yr, in memory of Elizabeth Burnside died Thorntonloch 19.4.1889, 64yr
by John Watt, Spott in memory of neice Ann Watt Sanson 19.2.1858 7yr, sister marg Watt 8.9.1863, mother Cath Gow 22.6.1865, nephew John Watt Burnside, died Pinkerton 15.5.1870, Father John Watt 22.3.1881
David Burnside 14.4.1919, 68yr, wife Mary Samson 22.9.1904 77yr, son Thos 11.3.1873 9yr.
These are all the Burnsides I can find in the books that I have, hope this helps some
Fiona

Offline caraid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 01 April 10 19:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharkman

Could you be more specific on names, especially forenames, as Anderson's were quiet common in East Lothian.

Cariad

Offline caraid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 01 April 10 19:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Innes
Not many Inness's around, forenames would help

Caraid

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 01 April 10 19:45 BST (UK) »
Fiona, could you check if there are any Meek's in there, and oblige....Skoosh.

Offline caraid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 03 April 10 08:58 BST (UK) »
Hi
Sorry, no Meek's in any of the East Lothian M.I. books

Caraid

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Saturday 03 April 10 10:34 BST (UK) »
Many Thanks Caraid! you're a pal! literally!....Skoosh.

Offline sharkman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 06 April 10 20:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Cariad,

I am looking for a David Anderson and his wife Jane n. Chalmers, married in 1863 and their parents

John and Jane Anderson, n. Buchanan and Andrew and Margaret Chalmers n. Borthwick

Any info much appreciated

Hi Sharkman

Could you be more specific on names, especially forenames, as Anderson's were quiet common in East Lothian.

Cariad