Author Topic: Tranent Cemetery  (Read 66400 times)

Offline caraid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tranent Cemetery
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 07 April 10 13:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharkman

Sorry, none of those names mentioned in the MI book, doesn't mean they are not buried there, just no Headstones. May be that the Headstone was illegible at time of survey, or there never was a Headstone.

Happy Hunting anyway

Caraid

Offline sharkman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 11 April 10 09:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Caraid,

Thanks for checking this for me. Saved me a lot of time at the churchyards. On with the hunt!

Hi Sharkman

Sorry, none of those names mentioned in the MI book, doesn't mean they are not buried there, just no Headstones. May be that the Headstone was illegible at time of survey, or there never was a Headstone.

Happy Hunting anyway

Caraid

Offline clares

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 15 April 10 05:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,

Lillias Blyth is also my husband's GGG Grandmother. I'm happy to exchange the information I have.

Clare

Lynda, a photograph would be fantastic.  I was reluctant to even ask if anyone could see if it was still standing.  We did a Google search and there is a photo of the inn on a list of restaurants and pubs in the Inveresk area.  We also have one about circa 1924.  I also have a photo of this Mrs Forman nee Marion Bowman. 

I notice you have Blyth listed in you family  list.  I have a GGG grandmother a Lilias Blyth daughter of James Blyth sailor, and Agnes Lownie of Newburgh, Fife. Is there any connection?

I await you photographic endevours, best wishes
Sue

Offline lyndyloo6

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Great Grandmother, Susan Allan Welsh,Bervie
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 16 April 10 21:38 BST (UK) »
Hi ,
Unfortunately your Blyths are not the same as our Blyths.  Ours are David Blyth and hail from leith....master bakers and metal workers I think.... however I do think that they may have originated from Fife before 1800 but not taken them back that far as yet...always getting led into something else....
regards,
Lynda
Welsh Allan, Wemyss, Caird, McAllister,Gibb, Kincardineshire,
Chisholm, Rew,McDonald,Macdonald, Brechin, McConnachie, Pirie, Welsh, Angus
Gibb, Allan, Ross, Stewart,McRobb, Aberdeenshire,
Horan,  Edinburgh.
Robertson, Penicuik, oodfellow, Hodgson, Birtley,Chester le Street Durham.

Offline Robert1893

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 29 April 10 23:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Cariad,

If your kind offer of look ups in Tranent Cemetery is still available, I am looking for members of the Craise family including George Craise, born in Tranent in 1833.   Any MI information on the Craises would be very welcome.

Robert

Morrison;McDonald;Campbell;Sutherland;Waters;Archibald, Ireland (the name) ;Torrens;Wilson;Craise;Purves;Black;Coalston
Caithness;Renfrewshire;East Lothian;Fife;Ireland
Morrison;McDonald;Campbell;Sutherland;Waters;Archibald; Ireland (the surname);Torrens;Wilson;Craise;Purves;Black;Coalston
in Caithness;Renfrewshire;East Lothian;Fife;Ireland;Liverpool;Brooklyn,NY

Offline caraid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Friday 30 April 10 19:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Robert

Tranent MI only has 1 mention of Craise

Mural (broken) by Alexr GRIEVE, smith in Tranent in memory of wife Christina BARRIE 24. 11. 1862 45yrs. Above Alexr GRIEVE died 17. 3. 1880. Also wife Sophie CRAISE 17. 11. 188? (looks like he was wed twice)

No more Craise I'm afraid, have u tried FreeCen & FreeReg.

Caraid

Offline Robert1893

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 02 May 10 22:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Caraid,

Thanks for the information.   I am almost certain that the Sophia Craise mentioned is the niece of my 3x great Grandmother Agnes Craise. Agnes had a brother George who was born in Gifford and who married Elizabeth Hood. in Gifford.  They had a daughter, Sophia, who was born about 1825 and would therefore have been about forty in the 1860s when Alex Grieve might well have been about the same age judging by the information on the MI.   I will have a look on ScotlandsPeople for the marriage post 1862.   George and Elizabeth are on the 1841 and 1851 Census returns for Tranent.   Sophia had a brother George, born 1833 in Tranent and he appears there in the 1881 census.   

I had not done much with this branch of the Craise family but will now hopefully go and fill in the missing pieces.   Ever the optimist.

Thanks again.

Robert
Morrison;McDonald;Campbell;Sutherland;Waters;Archibald; Ireland (the surname);Torrens;Wilson;Craise;Purves;Black;Coalston

Offline caraid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Monday 03 May 10 13:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Robert
Do you think Sophia could be a Family name associated with the Craise Family. If so there are a few more in the Hillfoot Villages MI
Yester
David BELL precentor in this church died 25. 9. 1834 72yrs, wife Eliz LAUDER 17. 2. 1820 60yrs, son John (wife Sofia CRAISE 23. 4. 1888 84yr, children Ann & Eliz died infancy)
Stenton
Jane FORREST died Stenton 15. 2. 1833 86yrs, husband David PURVES 19. 5. 1842 96yr, Andrew PURVES baker Stenton, daughter Agnes 19. 1 1834 13yr, daughter Sopia 26. 12. 1837 26yr, wife Sophia CRAISE 30. 11. 1850 75yr, daughter Eliz 9. 10. 1856 34yr.
(ps. don't have any MI for Gifford)
Caraid

Offline Robert1893

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Monday 03 May 10 22:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Caraid

Yes Sophia in the Craise family goes back to a Sophia Fleming of Haddington, born 1720.   She married George Black and one of their daughters, Sophia Black, subsequently married James Craise of Yester.   This union spawned Craise children  with most of the siblings continuing the Sophia name for the next generations. The name continued for daughters in marriages such as into Purves.  It has been a very useful marker.

Thanks for the MIs although  I had previously found these on the net.  As for Gifford I have transcribed the Craises from the actual headstones where legible.  I have found the study of my Craise line keeps throwing up unexpected links to other bits of the family.

I have now found the marriage of Sophia Craise to Alexander Grieve in SP.    They married in Tranent in 1864. I also found that she was born in Longformacus, Berwickshire as shown in the 1861 Census.

Robert