Author Topic: Looking for Victims of the Canvey Island Flood of 1953  (Read 4030 times)

Offline cguil_uk

• RootsChat Member
  • Molyneux Family of S Lancashire, England
    • View Profile
Looking for Victims of the Canvey Island Flood of 1953
« on: Monday 06 October 08 10:29 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know anything about William White, and his wife Edith, who perished in the Canvey Island (England) Floods of 1953 please?

Another Victim, mentioned on the memorial plaque - Marie White - may, or may not, be a relative. Can anyone confirm please?

Edith White (née Griffith) was my 1st cousin twice removed. I would be interested to know if they had any family.
Edith was born abt. 1892 Bush Hill Park, Middlesex, England, and married William White Sept 1915 in Enfield, Middx., England. She would have been 61 when she died.

Thanks in anticipation
I am researching the family named Molyneux (or possibly Molineux, Molineaux and Molyneaux (or with 2'LL's or without the 'X')), of South East Lancashire (Wigan, Pemberton and Ormskirk area), England.

Also researching; Fairhurst, Lancaster (Lancaster-Fairhurst), Griffith and Hayden (Haydon)

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Victims of the Canvey Island Flood of 1953
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 October 08 12:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,

A letter to the local Evening Echo might yield some information:

Echo Newspapers, Newspaper House, Chester Hall Lane, Basildon, Essex SS14 3BL

Good luck!

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cguil_uk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 October 08 14:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks  :)

What I find interesting though is that there is no sign of either of them on the 1901 census.
I am researching the family named Molyneux (or possibly Molineux, Molineaux and Molyneaux (or with 2'LL's or without the 'X')), of South East Lancashire (Wigan, Pemberton and Ormskirk area), England.

Also researching; Fairhurst, Lancaster (Lancaster-Fairhurst), Griffith and Hayden (Haydon)

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 October 08 14:26 BST (UK) »
can not really help you on your search but have you tried Geoff Barsby's site with regards to Canvey Island. The site has a message board where you could post a request for information about these people.
www.canveyislandhistory.com

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline ninkynoo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Black Tar Rivers by HRH Mole in the hole
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 October 08 09:17 BST (UK) »
I could kick myself.
Have just taken a book back to the Library at Clacton-on-Sea called The Great Tide by Hilda Grieve .There were first hand accounts of what happened and I did see a lot about Canvey in it ,with a list of the casualties.
If you reside in England ,you could get your Library to order it in.
Hope this helps.
Lin
Pratt ,Burgess,Gladwell  ,Taylor, Forrester ,Layzell ,Watling ,Merryfield Raven Essex
Field ,Warren.Davis, Spickett ,Peppiatt ,Bucks
White born Dorset moved to Hampshire,Shropshire and finally to Essex
Katherine Murphy b1872 
Buggs ,Day ,Stygal,Balls ,Suffolk ,Norfolk ,Hertfordshire
Venables ,Hertfordshire

Offline cguil_uk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 October 08 10:39 BST (UK) »
I could kick myself.
Have just taken a book back to the Library at Clacton-on-Sea called The Great Tide by Hilda Grieve .There were first hand accounts of what happened and I did see a lot about Canvey in it ,with a list of the casualties.
If you reside in England ,you could get your Library to order it in.
Hope this helps.
Lin

Thanks I will look out for that

Offline cguil_uk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 October 08 10:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,

A letter to the local Evening Echo might yield some information:

Echo Newspapers, Newspaper House, Chester Hall Lane, Basildon, Essex SS14 3BL

Good luck!

Nanny Jan

They were not at all helpful and did not even suggest alternative lines of enquiries. They were just not interested.  :(

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 October 08 12:39 BST (UK) »

The Evening Echo used to have a "where are they now " feature; as you say not very helpful.  >:(

Have you contacted the Essex  Society for Family History (www.esfh.org.uk)?  There might be others researching the same family.

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ninkynoo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Black Tar Rivers by HRH Mole in the hole
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 October 08 13:42 BST (UK) »
Or ,you could try Colchester Evening Gazette .They have a Essex Roots section.I used this site and found a few good contacts .
This facility is available on-line too.
Thinking about it ,I did see the name White in the book.I would have gone down today and got it back out ,but it was reserved when I took it back.Think I may have to go and have a look this afternoon.There may be some other info there.Fingers crossed.

Lin
Pratt ,Burgess,Gladwell  ,Taylor, Forrester ,Layzell ,Watling ,Merryfield Raven Essex
Field ,Warren.Davis, Spickett ,Peppiatt ,Bucks
White born Dorset moved to Hampshire,Shropshire and finally to Essex
Katherine Murphy b1872 
Buggs ,Day ,Stygal,Balls ,Suffolk ,Norfolk ,Hertfordshire
Venables ,Hertfordshire