Author Topic: Looking for Victims of the Canvey Island Flood of 1953  (Read 4029 times)

Offline ninkynoo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Black Tar Rivers by HRH Mole in the hole
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Victims of the Canvey Island Flood of 1953
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 09 October 08 09:07 BST (UK) »
Hi
I went to the library ,but the book was not there.I did find a book on Canvey Island with quite a few photos in (including some of the floods) and am happy to send them to you .
If you are interested ,could you PM me please.
Also ,there is a Canvey Website     www.canveyislandhistory.com   ,    looks promising.
Lin
Pratt ,Burgess,Gladwell  ,Taylor, Forrester ,Layzell ,Watling ,Merryfield Raven Essex
Field ,Warren.Davis, Spickett ,Peppiatt ,Bucks
White born Dorset moved to Hampshire,Shropshire and finally to Essex
Katherine Murphy b1872 
Buggs ,Day ,Stygal,Balls ,Suffolk ,Norfolk ,Hertfordshire
Venables ,Hertfordshire

Offline Clincher2

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 19 November 08 18:27 GMT (UK) »
I found a book in my local (Essex) library written by Hilda Grieve and published by Essex County Council in 1959. It is called 'The Great Tide - the story of the 1953 flood disaster in Essex.
A brief reference has been made to this book within this thread but I would like to make an additional comment.
Hilda Grieve was/is, amongst other things, an archivist for that Council. Her book comprises 867 pages.
From the beginning of the flood (on 31st January 1953) to the following Spring tide (on 21st February 1953) takes 540 pages of fascinating description.
A brief examination of the index indicates that no names of victims are given and I think I can understand why that was so. But there are countless stories related to precise localities throughout the book.

Offline Nic.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 January 24 23:30 GMT (UK) »
I’ve just viewed a book by Patricia Rennoldson-Smith - The 1953 Essex Flood.  This book lists all those who died by town  and street.

Offline MollyC

• RootsChat Member
  • Preserving the past for the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 January 24 08:15 GMT (UK) »
Make an enquiry to Essex Libraries/Archives which is certain to have books, files and information on this.  Also newspapers, probably indexed.