Author Topic: Searching for any info on VICTOR GEORGE HOLLAND can anyone help pls?  (Read 4413 times)

Offline emgen

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for any info on VICTOR GEORGE HOLLAND can anyone help pls?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 08 October 08 15:28 BST (UK) »
UPDATE

Hi Lu

He was definitely born in 1906.  I asked my mother and all she knows is that he went out there and joined "one of the forces".  She really doesnt know much about him at all.  Her father, Reginald Holland, was his younger brother.

Emma

Offline Mk2_Zephyr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 08 October 08 22:21 BST (UK) »

WW2,

He would only be 33 years, thats not to old ?

The probate wouldn't give any proof of parentage, so the marriage cert would be best.

The index should have his date of birth on it, I will check later.

and i do like that Victor who travelled to Aussie in 1924, (findmypast), may be just an initial miscribed.  N-G

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 09 October 08 01:02 BST (UK) »
Yippee Emma  !!!

From NZ Death Index

HOLLAND - Victor George - Reg'd at Whakatane - D.O.B.  12/03/1906

Will get back to you shortly.

Lu

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

( ...  perhaps should've mentioned I was doing a check of index at the  library  ;) )

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 09 October 08 10:15 BST (UK) »
Hi again Emma

Hope that the previous info has confirmed for you, that this is the Victor George you were seeking ?     :)

And now the "he was in the Army" situation,  has been clarified.   (I'd looked at your post on the Canada board also, and had interpreted the "served in the Army" to mean this had occurred before Victor left UK  ... that's why I had questioned his year of birth).  ;D

BUT   ... as it turns out, the New Zealand Defence Dept. does NOT have an Army (nor Air Force) record for a Victor George HOLLAND.
(They had a "Wlliam G. and George"  ... but no Victor).
There was however a Navy record for which I have a few details  ... the Defence records people (citing privacy issues), were reluctant to give me much info.   I'll check further though and get back to you re: that.

Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 09 October 08 10:34 BST (UK) »

Its a shame about the cemetery records.  Do you think there is a local newspaper I could look in to see if an obituary was placed?

Unfortunately, we need a "date of death / or approximate d.o.d." in order to do a newspaper search.   :)

What you might like to try, (given that there are no cemetery records), is send an email enquiry to the two funeral directors based in Whakatane (where Victor's death was registered).    If it was a cremation service (with ashes returned to family), then the funeral company conducting the service, may be able to give you details of next of kin (though sometimes they don't  ... again for privacy reasons).

Perhaps worth a try ?

>  Brent Willetts Funeral Services Ltd.  (21 King St,  Whakatane )
    Email  :   brentwfs@xtra.co.nz

>  Gateway Funeral Services  (Whakatane)
    Email :   funeral.gateway@xtra.co.nz

Lu

Offline emgen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 09 October 08 20:44 BST (UK) »
 :o  Wow Lu !!  This is so fantastic!  I cant thank you enough!. Thats so amazing!  I've gone from knowing absolutely nothing to all this (even his date of birth).  Thank you so so much!

So he could possibly be a navy man?  Believe it or not my mum is very sketchy about details but she did say in the very beginning he possibly went into the navy!! She only remembered the other day that it was definitely New Zealand he went to because they had a prime minister in the 50s called "Holland" (she initialy thought it was Canada hence the reason for two adverts).

I have emailed the two funeral directors as you suggested and will let you know if I hear from them.  If I could get in touch with his relatives that would be ideal as would love to know more about him.

Are deceased personnel records obtainable or is there a time period do you know?

Also, if I wanted to order the probate record and the marriage certificate, what is the easist way for me to do that?  Are they available to order online?  Sorry for all the questions.  :)

Speak soon
Emma   ;D

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 10 October 08 01:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Emma

Glad you are happy.   Of course, credit must also go to the others who have contributed to this thread.    :)

Perhaps your next "move" should be to obtain a copy of the marriage record. 

Victor George HOLLAND
Jeannie Monteith SMITH
Year - 1927     (Folio #  00977)

All details for ordering are at the NZ BDM website - see Mk2_Zephyr's link "To obtain NZ certs" at the beginning of this thread.

(* Rather than a certificate, be sure to order the marriage "printout" - this is a less expensive option and generally offers more information).

But I'd hold off on ordering the probate for the time being, and likewise, the navy file.   ;)    (Can give you further details later on how to access same).

Fingers crossed that either of the two funeral directors, can provide a further lead.     Even if we can get a date of death, that would be helpful in trying to source a funeral notice.    (Have a couple of possibilities for the "married" name of the daughter mentioned in the death notice sourced by Mk2 ... but again, best to leave that, for the time being).

Looking forward to seeing what further info turns up meanwhile.

Lu

She only remembered the other day that it was definitely New Zealand he went to because they had a prime minister in the 50s called "Holland"

... and top marks to your clever Mum for remembering that!  :)      (Yes,  the PM was Sidney HOLLAND).

Offline emgen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 10 October 08 10:23 BST (UK) »
Yes definitely thanks to everyone and I will check out the link that Mk2 provided too - thanks Mk2  :)

Okay - I have heard back from the two funeral directors you kindly gave me links for.  The first one, Gateway, said that their records only go back 10 years and suggested i contact the BMD in Wellington.

However, the second one, Brent, sent me this reply.....

Dear Emma,

Since you could not find him on the cemetery records I rang the Rotorua crematorium.

Victor George Holland was cremated at Rotorua crematorium on the 13th January 1987. He died on the 9th January. His ashes were scattered on the rose gardens in Rotorua. Eddy Bros. funeral directors handled the funeral. They do not exist anymore. Your best bet to find more information is to apply for a death certificate from Births,,Deaths and Marriages in Wellington. This would give you more information. Sorry I cannot be of more help.

This was great news as we now have a date of death 9th January 1987.  Unfortunately the funeral directors no longer exist but at least we know when he died now.

I will look at Mk2's link now in order to order the marriage "printout" like you say.  Thanks for that tip.

Now we know a date of death, whats the best way to proceed?  What does a funeral notice provide? 

Thanks again everyone!  This is so great ;D

Emma

Offline newbe_nz

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 10 October 08 10:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Emma, A printout will cost you $20.00 NZ dollars and take about 10 working days to process

Newbe
Purcell, - Limerick - Ireland,Australia, Westland, NZ
Coppell  - England 1734 to now, New Zealand - 1853 to now
Buckby - England, Australia, New Zealand - 1630 to now
Smith New Zealand
Parker -England - New Zealand  - 1800 to now
Lilley,Lillie, Lilly  - England -New Zealand - 1800 to now
Dykins - Wales, England, New Zealand -  1752 to now
Reynolds, England- 1800 to now
Newdick -Norfolk and Suffolk England , Australia, New Zealand - 1700 to now