Poll

Family history can be like a jigsaw puzzles (only without the straight edges!).  Are all family historians therefore addicted to jigsaw puzzles?

I love jigaw puzzles
51 (43.2%)
I quite like jigsaw puzzles
35 (29.7%)
I neither like nor dislike jigsaw puzzles
20 (16.9%)
I hate jigsaw puzzles
12 (10.2%)

Total Members Voted: 117

Author Topic: Survey: Family history and jigsaw puzzles  (Read 5577 times)

Offline Ruth

• RootsChat Member
  • Great Aunt Gladys
    • View Profile
Survey: Family history and jigsaw puzzles
« on: Wednesday 14 April 04 07:59 BST (UK) »
Just a bit of fun, following on from a discussion I had with a fellow family historian yesterday.  I also suspect that most family historians are partial to crosswords and murder mysteries - but am prepared to be proved wrong!
Interests include:
LANSDELL in Kent & Sussex; WELLER in Kent; SELMAN/SOLOMON in Yorkshire and Staffordshire; BROYD in Essex/Cambridgeshire; KETTERIDGE in Essex/Cambridgeshire

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
Re:Survey: Family history and jigsaw puzzles
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 April 04 15:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth,

I am very grateful to you for raising this question.  It is something I have been wondering about for a while and I am glad to see you making use of the poll feature  ;D.

I am addicted to puzzles of any sort,  so I suppose the problem solver in me loves the mystery of my ancestors.  I never miss Frost,  Morse or most other detective stuff on TV,  so it all fits. :D

That's probably more information than you wanted, ::)
Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 April 04 16:02 BST (UK) »
Does anyone do those puzzles were you are given 5 pieces of information?  For example, Joe likes cake but won't eat socks....

And you have to patch up all the key characteristics, y'get given a grid to help you.

Well who else has come across this one...

His father was a shepherd but died before 1851 his father's name was either Tom or Harry?

Those long car/train journies with the "Monthly Puzzler" were excellant training!!

;D
Pam
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 April 04 16:09 BST (UK) »
Pam,

I know the ones,  they are called logic puzzles and you can get whole books of them.  I love them,  especially the bigger ones with 8 or more peices of information to sort.

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Survey: Family history and jigsaw puzzles
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 April 06 14:18 BST (UK) »
Hiya Ruth,

I think your theory is correct. I like quite a number of tasks involving mental agility. I enjoy bridge, draughts, dominoes. I was addicted to crosswords. Then I joined Rootschat. I am so addicted to it the crosswords have gone by the board.

Many people say "Genealogy? What's that?" When you tell them they either say "Oh!" or tell you they have already researched their family history. When they tell me that they have already researched their family I think to myself "They were quick. How did they manage to do it so quickly. What's their secret?" Most of us on Rootschat have been researching for years. We, or someone else on our behalf, are always finding another little piece to add to the puzzle. Each time we add a piece we notice there is another gap to be filled.

His father was a shepherd but died before 1851 his father's name was either Tom or Harry?

Pam, We are making a bit of progress with Tom or Harry. Would either Bill or James who work in a Call Centre be a descendent of either Tom or Harry who was a shepherd ??? I wonder why these guys have no surnames. Have they something to hide ??? Genealogists are not the only ones having difficulties finding them. Have you tried to make contact with the person you spoke to in a call centre a couple of minutes ago ???

All the Best Rootschat Puzzlers,

Chris

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 April 06 10:32 BST (UK) »
Pam,
I know the ones,  they are called logic puzzles and you can get whole books of them.  I love them,  especially the bigger ones with 8 or more peices of information to sort.
Kazza.

I adore doing the logic puzzles, Mum has them in her weekly puzzle magazine and she does all the others and sends the logic puzzle over to me . . . . . can't wait      :D

Barbara             8)
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline Burrow Digger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 April 06 13:02 BST (UK) »

I quite like jigsaw puzzles, I hate crosswords, and I LOVE logic puzzles.  ;D

BD
BURROW, BICKHAM, EVANS, SULLEY, STONE - Devon
STEPHENS, MALLET, ADAMS - Cornwall
HANCOCK , BUSSON - Somerset
MCCALLUM, MCDIARMID, MCNEILL - Argyle, Scotland
WALLS, SUTHERLAND, SIMPSON - Orkney, Scotland
FAIRBAIRN - Fife, Scotland
THOMPSON - Aberdeen, Scotland

Offline pipkim

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 April 06 14:09 BST (UK) »
My answer is the same as Burrow Digger. ;D

PipKim
Cheshire - Shustoke, Atherstone, Nuneaton, Birmingham
Morgan - Liverpool, Burnley, Leicester, Birmingham (Morjeanstern - France, Liverpool, Burnley, Leicester)
Quinn/Quin - Ireland, Liverpool, Leicester, Birmingham
Bailey/Health/Andrews - Birmingham, (Stepney briefly), Smethwick, Bristol
Thomas/Keen - Oxfordshire, Westminster
Hooker - Odiham, Romsey, IofW, Basingstoke, London St Geo Sq

Census information is Crown Copyright, from National Archives

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 April 06 14:16 BST (UK) »
I love jigsaws, logic puzzles, but now I've discovered sudoku.
McLaren, McKirdy, Gorman, Blyth, Paterson, Galloway, Morgan, Tait, McPherson, Anderson, Wylie, Mcgillvray, McAlees, Montague/McTague, Singleton, Campbell, McNaught, Robertson, Ferguson, Docherty, McGlinchy, McGarry, O'Hara, McMillan, Little, Blair, Smith, Batley, Rodger, McIntyre, Black, Miller, Small, Spurling, ?Golden, Brown, Flannaghan, Lawn, MCallum, McLean, Paton, Dickie, McAllister, Auld, Glen, Biggart, Orr, Thomson, Neil, Walker, Weir, Mcvichie, Henderson, Fernie, Spence, Ker