Author Topic: BELL / BELLE - Garvaghy, County Down  (Read 3489 times)

Offline RedFox

• RootsChat Member
  • One of Many Family Lines
    • View Profile
BELL / BELLE - Garvaghy, County Down
« on: Monday 06 October 08 20:04 BST (UK) »
I've been working in-depth on my ancestors who've lived in other areas of the UK, but not Ireland.  I have only a few distant ancestors from there as far as I know and would like to increase my knowledge of the family and the country.

I have information from FamilySearch on Agness Nancy Bell.  FS says she was born on 12 Jun 1765 in Dromore Parish, Garvaghy, Co. Down to George Bell and Mary Jane Jess.  I don't know when she immigrated to the US but she married James Leeper in Adams, Cumberland Co., PA.  I was given a marriage date of 1799, but don't know if that date's correct unless the first two children were born to a prior wife.

If it is, she Agness and James had four more children in PA.  One son, George Bell Leeper, married Elizabeth Prestley in 1822.  Elizabeth's father was William; one or both of them might have been born in Ireland.  She was born about 1801.  It was one of their daughters who married into my line.  Most of this information was gleaned from FamilySearch or Ancestry.com.

I'd like to verify from Irish records, if possible, the births of Agness Bell and her parents George Bel [abt. 1720]l and Mary Jane Jess.  I will spend some time learning more about the country and Country Down on the internet, but would appreciate any input from listers.  It's been my experience on RootsChat that the listers are very knowledgable in many areas.  Bell is sometimes spelled Belle in my family.  It is still used in naming boys and girls.

Sorry, I forgot to sign this the first time.  Have just added a message under County Cork on Agness' father George Bell.  Thanks, RedFox
CUMLD: Davidson, Robson, Atkinson, Blackburn,  Wilkinson, Mumberson, Milburn
CRNWL:  Dawe, Bawden, Leming
CHES: Heginbotham
YRK:  Dawe, Jackson, Ranson, Leming
LANC:  Dawe, Harris, Thomas, Bellamy or Billany, Bayliff, Madsen
EAST SSX:  Etchingham - Woolgar
SCT: RXB-Robson, REN & LNK-Lisle/Lyle/Leill, Taylor, Masson
WALES: Dawe
USA:  MI - Dawe, Stringer, Lisle, Robson, Davidson, Mills, Handy, Betzner, Leeper, Fankboner, Ross, Lyle
IRE: Bell, Prestley/Priestley
GER: Wuerttemberg - Betz

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BELL / BELLE - Garvaghy, County Down
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 October 08 20:26 BST (UK) »
Can't find Agness Nancy Bell that you found on LDS site but there are conflicting submitted details on the site. One set of records has her married to a Robert Forsyth and another has her as the daughter of Geroge Bell & Mary McCracken.
The names Agnes/Ann/Nancy are all interchangable in Ulster and suspect that she might have been recorded in various records under either name but not that she was named 'Agness Nancy.'
You would really need to search for church records, if they exist. LDS catalogue lists only records from the Catholic church in Garvaghy parish starting in 1821 whih is too late.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline RedFox

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 October 08 20:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks, aghadowey.  I understand now that Agnes/Agness and Nancy might be interchangable. I'll add Ann to that.  I've had other females with names that showed up under different listings:  Jean/Janet and Jane/Jennifer are the two that come to mind because of the frequency it's happened.

I'm not surprised you find conflicting info on FS/LDS.  Sometimes I've just given up a search because I found the info just didn't make sense.  Ususally it's with the older records, even in the US records.  I can only use LDS records as indicators, and sometimes Ancestry.com. 

In fact, I've found conflicting info on LDS on different pages: IGI, Individual record, etc.  I chose the info that's consistant with other searches I'd done.  But I do recall the name of Robert Forsythe and Mary McCracken.  I'll go back and see what I find again.  At the time, I added Robert Forsythe as a second husband, but found no information regarding time.  She might have married him before James.  Have another man, James Gibson also.  I'll add Mary McCracken to George/Geroge's file.

I've run into the lack of records in Scotland, and I think it may be for similar reasons.  There may be a strong reason she and/or her family left Ireland.  It's not encouraging, but I'll see what I can find on the country on the internet which may give me a clue to what turmoil was happening then.  Haven't had a chance to do that yet.

You're right.  Dates after 1821 would be too late unless I could find the family name.  Do you have a suggestion where to look besides LDS?   

I'll copy your email to the Notes section and note you as the source on Mary McCracken's name.  I do the same with any other information I add.  Thanks in advance.  RedFox
USA:  MI - Dawe, Stringer, Lisle, Robson, Davidson, Mills, Handy, Betzner, Leeper, Fankboner, Ross, Lyle

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 October 08 21:09 BST (UK) »
I think you've missed my main point. LDS submitted records may not be accurate and in this case seem to contain conflicting details some or none of which may actually be correct.
Please do NOT add me as the source of the information- I was merely pointing out what I found on LDS site.
The only church records for Garvaghy Parish in LDS catalogue are Roman Catholic ones. That doesn't mean that other records (Church of Ireland, Presbyterian, etc.) don't exist. Do you know what religion the Bells were?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline RedFox

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 October 08 21:22 BST (UK) »
aghadowey, thanks.  I'll do as you ask.  Actually, I don't know what religion Agness and her family were.  Nor what religion she was when married to James or their children.   The line trickles down to my grandfather who attended a Methodist Church, but don't think that has any bearing on his ancestors.  Rather, it's his wife's ancestry.

I'll go back and see what I can find on those records.  I can't check other church records if the information I have isn't correct. 

Will try and research her and her family in the US from another angle.  Maybe then I'll be prepared to research her early years.

Thanks, again, for everything.  RedFox