Author Topic: Completed. Framesmith & Lace Manufacturers, Leicester, Nottingham, Devon & Paris  (Read 18519 times)

Offline E Roger H

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Completed. Framesmith & Lace Manufacturers, Leicester, Nottingham, Devon & Paris
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 22 June 19 20:44 BST (UK) »
Mike,

I keep thinking that I've no more to add, but a quick Google reveals:

On Boden in Derby and Barnstaple (but not Chard) https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1385385

More Boden company records http://mss-cat.nottingham.ac.uk/CalmView/Record.aspx?src=Catalog&q=Refno:Bo

Roger

Offline MikeG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Completed. Framesmith & Lace Manufacturers, Leicester, Nottingham, Devon & Paris
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 22 June 19 23:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks one again Roger.  Since my daughter works for Historic England, I really should have found that reference myself, but thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I presume you know that the Tiverton Museum holds many of the records of Heathcoat's company.  Unfortunately for me, I think my ancestor was probably a journeyman, and therefore paid by the day.  If he had been an employee, he would have appeared in the company records, which he doesn't.

Some years back, my wife and I visited the museum and arranged to talk to a retired employee of the Heathcoat company.  He said that when he was a young apprentice, he remembered talking to older employees who had, in their youth, talked to some of the people who were involved in the exodus from Loughborough to Tiverton in 1816.  So it doesn't take too many generations to span the years back to 1816.

Thank you again for your help - much appreciated.

Best wishes,

Mike

Offline E Roger H

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Mike,

Yet another link, I'm afraid! (But it looks relevant since it mentions the ownership of the Chard factory). http://www.rjoram.com/Lacejohn.html

By the way, Ambrose Brewin 2 was born in 1811, so it seems unlikely that he moved to Tiverton at the same time that Heathcote did. Felkin's description doesn't actually explicitly say that he did but it seems (to me) to be implied. It seems clear from Felkin that Ambrose 1  did know Heathcote, but I don't know of any business or family connections.

Roger

Offline MikeG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hi Roger,

Thanks.  Yes, that reference I did know about. I had an exchange of emails some years back with Rosemary Oram. Her website is a mine of useful information.

So your Ambrose Brewin 2, born in 1811, would have been the one who married Caroline Heathcoat, John's daughter, since she was born in 1810.  My John Quail moved to Chard around 1824, so clearly he would not have worked for Ambrose Brewin 2, who would be too young.  And since Ambrose Brewin 1 doesn't seem to be connected with lace manufacture, I think that answers my original question - sorry it's taken a while for me to sort that out.  It's been a useful exchange of information - thanks.

Best wishes,

Mike

Offline Andy_T

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 29 June 19 14:03 BST (UK) »
There is a free downloaded pdf book 648 pages on archive.org with a reference to Messrs Warners of Loughborough.
I saw you already mentioned this book so you know this already?
A history of the machine-wrought hosiery and lace manufactures by Felkin, William. Published 1867.

Page 492
“ In 1828-9, Messrs Warners, of Loughborough, assisted, it was said, by Hood in perfecting the movements, brought out in a power stocking-frame netting by thread carriers without hand with suitably adapted pressing and slur motions. “

Andy_T
Thurman, Coleman, Beck, Shaw

Offline MikeG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 29 June 19 16:19 BST (UK) »
Yes, thanks Andy.  Although Felkin's book was written some decades after the introduction of machines to make lace, it is nevertheless very comprehensive.  It shows how great the technical challenge was, and how many legal disputes followed, with very technical arguments on both sides.  Heathcoat made a lot of money out of his invention - others were less fortunate.

Best wishes,

Mike

Offline Andy_T

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 29 June 19 17:29 BST (UK) »
This topic caught attention and interest because I have worked in lace manufacturing in SE Asia and one company I worked for for >7 years owned the copyright of all designs of Guy Birkin, the major lace manufacturer in Nottingham.

My ancestors mostly came from Leicestershire and Wawickshire but one branch of my family tree  moved near Tollerton, Nottingham. From this Nottingham branch, a William Thurman born at Hickling, Nottinghamshire in 1835 was a lace designer and a manufacturer and he had premises at Harrington Mills, Leopold St, Long Eaton.

Andy_T
Thurman, Coleman, Beck, Shaw