Author Topic: emigrant ship george fyfe to NSW  (Read 5951 times)

Offline matchis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
emigrant ship george fyfe to NSW
« on: Tuesday 07 October 08 23:38 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have access to the passenger list for the George Fyfe, which sailed from Tobermory, Mull in September 1839 arriving Sydney January 1840? I know of a family of McInnes who were on board but I am interested in a large family of McDiarmids.  Matthew Chisholm

Offline regross

• RIP 16th November 2012
  • Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • paper doll fashionista
    • View Profile
Re: emigrant ship george fyfe to NSW
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 October 08 00:16 BST (UK) »
Mathew,

http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/indexes/searchform.aspx

Try this online index I got 9 pages when I clicked on the ship's name and there were these entries for 1840. Reference numbers, occupations and marital status are also given. I have include only the barest details

MCDERMAID   Alexander   14   
MCDERMAID   Archibald   11   
MCDERMAID   Christy   4   
MCDERMAID   Donald   Husband of Mary; shepherd; and family   
MCDERMAID   Duncan   18   
MCDERMAID   Flora   9   
MCDERMAID   Hugh   15   
MCDERMAID   John   20   
MCDERMAID   Mary   40   Wife of Donald; servant; and family      MCDERMAID   Mary   7   

Robyn in Wodonga
The following families and their Australian decendents:
Abbott, Barnard, Clarke, Inward, Lanfear, Rutter,Spencer:Middlesex
Greenaway:Cornwall
Edney, Godwin/Goodwin, Gullett:Hampshire;
Gullett:Devon
Emms:39th Regiment of Foot 1810-1832
Gordon:Scotland
Arnold, Morton:Ireland
Davies:Wales
Olcorn:Cumberland
Osborne:Staffordshire
Harrington:Kent
&
Gross: Tullau Wurtmemburg Germany

Offline chrispaton

• RootsChat Member
  • Innocence before the war
    • View Profile
Re: emigrant ship george fyfe to NSW
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 October 08 00:33 BST (UK) »
These might be of interest:

Caledonian Mercury, Monday August 29th 1839

LEITH

The new ship George Fyfe, lately built here, sailed yesterday to take in Government settlers at Tobermory, for Fort Philip and Sydney. The accommodation for the passengers is of a very superior kind. Beds to the amount of 104, each to contain two individuals have been fitted up, with an hospital for the sick. Each bed is numbered, and every article belonging to said birth bears a corresponding number, so that the greatest regularity and order will be preserved. The ship was built by Messrs Rose & Son, and the interior work has been done by Messrs Bruce & Son, both of Leith.

Caledonian Mercury, Thursday January 2 1840

Shipping Intelligence

The George Fyfe, from Scotland for Sydney, was spoken with 18th Oct. in lat. 5. 12. N. long. 23. Also the Janet of Alloa, from Newcastle for the Cape, was spoken with 17th Sept. out seventeen days.

Caledonian Mercury, Thursday June 18th 1840

LEITH SHIPPING

George Fyfe, Pyke, do. from Scotand [do = at Sydney]

Chris
Genealogy - www.ScotlandsGreatestStory.co.uk www.BritishGENES.blogspot.co.uk (British Genealogy News and EventS) * Ruhleben internment camp - http://ruhleben.tripod.com

Offline A Whiteford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: emigrant ship george fyfe to NSW 1840
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 March 13 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Bit late for this response but I had John and Mary (McDonald) Smith and their family arrive in Sydney on the George Fyfe.  There are various references on TROVE, the National Library of Australia's newspaper digitisation site.  If you do a search there for tagged articles "George Fyfe" you will find various references, including a rather interesting complaint about free servants who being the curse of the colony (referring to a free girl who arrived on the George Fyfe).  Fancy demanding a greater wage than that offered!!!  Feisty highlanders indeed.

TROVE can be found at www.nla.gov.au and select the button for TROVE.  You can do searches e.g looking up the tags for George Fyfe and reading the relevant articles.  If you create an account, no cost, you can save articles also.

PS For anybody with family who came to Australia, TROVE is an absolutely brilliant resource.  People who would often not in their native countries ever have made the local news, unless they rioted or murdered somebody, can have lengthy articles in local papers here.  My farm labourers and highland evictees often made the news in the colony and are reported on TROVE.  They were the backbone of the new colony and spread out into new frontiers and therefore were reported on. 

As an example for a family of mine from Germany where the father was a day labourer on vineyards along the Rhine and would never have been referenced in the local papers, I have found close to 3,000 articles on the family and later the wine business they established in the Hunter.  I cannot praise TROVE too much, both as a source of finding out about families, but also providing a social history of the new colony.  You will also find many references to matters occurring overseas.

Anne
Bouffier/Buffier (Germany), Brennan (Athlone Wmeath), Galvin (Innes, Clare), Mackay (Athlone, Wmeath), McGrath (Tyrone), Morton (Ayrshire) Smith (Blackwater Bridge, Cavan), Smith (Ardnamurchan Sco), Smythe (Dublin); Whiteford (Antrim & then Argyll), Wyl(l)ie (Ayrshire)