Author Topic: Do you recognise this church?  (Read 46997 times)

Offline fmni

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Do you recognise this church?
« Reply #27 on: Friday 10 October 08 13:02 BST (UK) »
Just to save anyone else the bother of searching through them... i've checked all churches in East Sussex as outlined in this link... none of them fit the build.

http://www.churches-uk-ireland.org/east_sussex.html

What is apparent though is that the church could well be in england given the amount of architectural differences that were evident in those i looked at. The design is not dissimilar to the eastbourne church that was posted by Glen although it's architect was George Edmund Street - checked all the  churches he's been involved with too - we can rule them out :(

HILL - Ballinderry, Co. Antrim: BANKS - Moira, Co. Down: ARMOUR - Lisburn, Co.Antrim: WALKER - Dromore, Co. Down: MAGEE - Lambeg, Co. Antrim: THOMPSON - Derriaghy/Magheragall, Co. Antrim: TITTERINGTON - Moira, Co. Down: McNEILL - Lisburn, Co. Antrim: SWAIN - Moira, Co. Down: IRVINE - CLONES, Co. Monaghan: TURNBULL - Lurgan, Co. Armagh: CARLISLE - Lisburn, Co. Antrim: MORROW, Lisburn, Co. Antrim: FORSYTHE - Magheralave, Co. Antrim: MARTIN - Ballinderry, Co. Antrim: REILLY, Magheralin, Co. Down

Offline fmni

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 10 October 08 14:18 BST (UK) »
I clearly have too much time on my hands...

you can rule out dutch churches - unless it was demolished or destroyed during the 2nd world war (its not included in any at that appear on the Archimon site) and also rule out Irish based churches (including Northern Ireland)
HILL - Ballinderry, Co. Antrim: BANKS - Moira, Co. Down: ARMOUR - Lisburn, Co.Antrim: WALKER - Dromore, Co. Down: MAGEE - Lambeg, Co. Antrim: THOMPSON - Derriaghy/Magheragall, Co. Antrim: TITTERINGTON - Moira, Co. Down: McNEILL - Lisburn, Co. Antrim: SWAIN - Moira, Co. Down: IRVINE - CLONES, Co. Monaghan: TURNBULL - Lurgan, Co. Armagh: CARLISLE - Lisburn, Co. Antrim: MORROW, Lisburn, Co. Antrim: FORSYTHE - Magheralave, Co. Antrim: MARTIN - Ballinderry, Co. Antrim: REILLY, Magheralin, Co. Down

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 10 October 08 15:01 BST (UK) »
'English' churches don't always look 'English' ... this one is at Hoarwithy, near Hereford ...

Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 10 October 08 15:28 BST (UK) »
The landscape shot is very "English" - I wouldn't think rural though - more likely a common in the foreground on the edge of a city? The pavement on the right points to a non-rural location.
I would guess the church was built c 1865-1890 - the style is mostly based on English Gothic styles though there are one or two oddities. I think its more Northern than Southern, but possibly the snow is confusing me

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline fmni

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 10 October 08 15:33 BST (UK) »
I agree with you that perhaps it is a town that stretches out the other direction if this picture. If you look to the left of the picture amongst the trees and buildings there appears to be another smaller church spire suggesting it is more than just a rural village.

Offline fmni

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 10 October 08 16:20 BST (UK) »
I clearly have too much time on my hands...

you can rule out dutch churches - unless it was demolished or destroyed during the 2nd world war (its not included in any at that appear on the Archimon site) and also rule out Irish based churches (including Northern Ireland)

Also rule out it being in West Sussex, Kent or Cornwall - i've checked all three to no avail :(

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 10 October 08 17:14 BST (UK) »
Looking at the 2nd photo on Flickr, the church looks as if it is near to a field and water, which made me think of Lechlade.  Look at the following webpage and see what you think. 

www.stlawrencelechlade.org.uk/history.htm

and this one

www.lechladeonthames.co.uk/pictures.html for the aerial view and then click the arrow underneath until you find another photo of St Lawrence Church.

Lizzie

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 10 October 08 17:18 BST (UK) »
certainly rings a bell .....
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline linmey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Propping up a Saxon shore fort!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 10 October 08 17:19 BST (UK) »
I think the church in question is much younger than that and I agree with Steve, mid to late Victorian when these huge churches were built and probably never filled.

Linda.
Reynolds, Woodham, Payne, Wilmott, Hart, Richardson, Packwood, Tandy, Dexter - Bedfordshire.
Chamberlain and Wagstaff- Hunts.
Freeman, Cheney, Cox- Northants.
Burns, Muter, Cobban, Hossack, Strachan, Moonlight.
Lanarkshire, Ross and Cromarty and Kincardineshire.
Garvey- Ireland.

Census Information Is Crown Copyright From--
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk